What in your diet are you willing to give up for the rest of your life?

Options

Replies

• daniip_la
    daniip_la Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    I'm giving up celery for the rest of my life. It's a sacrifice, but I'll brave through it.

(not at all related to the fact that the two times I've tried to eat it I wanted to puke at the taste)
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,220 Member
    Options
    I haven't given up a darned thing yet and I'm doing just fine. I'll think I'll just keep doing what works. That means not making anything off limits.

10382200.png
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Can't think of a single thing. And I'm a no bread on the reg type...I'm still gonna eat it once in awhile though.
  • MishaWest79
    MishaWest79 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone, I am new to this site and have been really impressed with the positive food views you all have as I agree that moderation is the key.

I might indulge in a not so healthy food but would definitely aim for quality. That said I have quit palm oil for the Orangutans and hope to never drink a coke again as it is the mother of all evils.
  • Anabug81
    Anabug81 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Low quality baked goods sounds good, diet soda, and artificial sweeteners.
  • LaceyBirds
    LaceyBirds Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Nothing. And if I desire a low-quality anything that is something I like, I shall eat that too.
  • rosecropper
    rosecropper Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    There's plenty of changes I've made to what I eat- guess you could say I was "giving up" foods. But from my perspective, it has been about choosing healthier options. My tastes and priorities continue to change- things I remember liking are no longer special to me.
    It's only natural that our palates become more refined as we strive for healthier bodies. There's nothing wrong with letting go of foods we once loved but have now outgrown. If our appetites didn't changed as we mature, we would all still be sucking milk out of a bottle like newborns.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Nothing. There are things I've cut way back on that used to be staples of my diet. I used to live on Oatmeal Creme Pies, but now I have one maybe once a year. I have a regular soda maybe once every three years. I used to live on flavored instant rice packages and I can't remember the last time I bought one. Breakfast cereals and I no longer get along, but I still eat them occasionally while traveling. The same with most fast foods. But none of those are things that I think of as "giving up for life." There are scenarios where I might choose to eat any of those and I refuse to set rules in place for myself that would cause guilt if I break them. They're all just foods. I make decisions about what to eat and these don't make the rotation very often in favor of other choices, that's all.
  • jo_nz
    jo_nz Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    I stopped having sugar in my hot drinks a few years ago. Other than that there's no specific thing I plan to never ever touch.
  • llbrixon
    llbrixon Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I am not going to give up nothing! I love food too much. Since starting this food journey I have limited certain foods like peanut butter, Nutella, Gram cracker and big glass of milk. I have not had this snack since November 2015. I use to eat this snack every night...now I need to figure out how many calories I was eating.
  • Lovethesnow35
    Lovethesnow35 Posts: 2,070 Member
    Options
    I stopped drinking all soda products 32 days ago. I will go the rest of my life without them unless I'm stranded on an island and that's all that left. Nothing else though!
  • nursecasg
    nursecasg Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Brussel Sprouts :smile: Other than that, nothing.
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    I won't give up any foods for weight loss' sake, but I will for health reasons when it's clear that something I ingest as food is harming me in some physical way. Even then, I would not freak out and run away from having a small amount if it I had to.

For example, I gave up soda decades ago. I gave it up because I didn't want my teeth, or my songs teeth, to rot out like his dad's did from drinking soda's every day, and I found them too sweet tasting and the sweetness made me more thirsty than relieving any thirst ... so I switched to water and herbal teas. Yet, if I am in a situation where the only drink available is fountain or bottled soda, I'll drink it, but I won't drink the whole thing.

Another example is sugary desserts like cookies, pies, cakes, custards and ice creams ... I love em all and would eat them more than one time a day if they didn't harm my health. But I am a Diabetic and those foods are just too much carb for me to have around or eat very often. Plus, if I have some, it really sets of a craving for more in me that I find hard to control so then I do overeat and mess up my blood sugar for days or weeks. It's not worth it ... yet if I am at a party or dinner out and dessert is on the menu, I'll have some ... I just don't keep it in the house.
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Just subpar food in general. I don't want to spend any of my calories on anything that I don't love.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    Ice cream. I have never liked ice cream but I ate it because I thought I was suppose to like it because everyone else likes it. Now that I see all the calories wasted on ice cream and how it sucks to begin with, I'll stick to my no-ice-cream-but-lots-of-pizza diet.
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    heis4u2004 wrote: »
    Hi,
    As we all know to lose weight is one thing, but to keep it off is another. And our eating habits may have more to do with it all than the exercise alone, as I have always heard 80% what we eat and 20% exercise.
    I have successfully kept off about 40 pounds by never drinking another soda in over 3 years. I can see myself never having another one. I'd rather eat my calories than drink them.
    I still have about 20 pounds to lose, so I need to examine my diet it again to see what else may be permanently given up. Sometimes it's only little things that can make a difference like switching to lower calorie mayonnaise or using nonfat cooking spray instead of butter. Switching to Stevia for sweetener instead of sugar for the coffee.
    What have you decided to give up in your diet to keep the weight off?

I noticed a lot of people have mentioned food they're giving up because they hate it, so would give it up anyway. OP do you mean foods that your are just now giving up for your diet, not foods that you're giving up that you hate.
  • mds438
    mds438 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Nothing really.....
    Just learning to just take 1 slice of cake instead og 3 :smiley:
    And that sodas and candy are occasional and not everyday. Only using 1 tsp of sugar in the coffee instead of 2 etc.
    White bread is almost completely out of my diet, but that is more because it gives me constipation and stomach ache.
    I can't make the ultimate demands to lets say cut candy off completely - if I do that, I will focus on that it is forbidden, and end up overeating it :blush: . And knowing that, I allow myself to it, but limits the intake.
  • youmeandtheseaphotography
    Options
    Heart Attack In A Sack....no greasy food for this lady, it's quite easy to bypass fast food joints!
  • nettiklive
    nettiklive Posts: 206 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Like others said, I wouldn't give up any food I love for weight loss.

However, there are many foods that I've essentially 'given up' as in haven't eaten in years, and will try not to eat outside of exceptional circumstances - not because of weight but because they're gross, horrible for you, and just not food. That means pretty much everything with any kind of artificial additives or any overprocessed junk - I don't drink soda, eat chips or cheetos etc, nothing with artificial colors or flavors, no fat-free dairy, no artificial sweeteners of any kind, no Kraft dinners or processed cheese slices or wonderbread etc. I'll eat 'processed' packaged foods ocassionally but only the all-natural organic kinds, like Kind bars or Annie's frozen meals, in a pinch. I also don't eat standard fast food, although I can very rarely have a really good restaurant quality burger and fries.

None of those things are big sacrifices to me, they were all easy to give up and I don't want or crave them even a bit. We don't buy them as a family and don't keep them in the house.

I DO eat, and won't give up, real butter, full-fat dairy (love plain greek yogurt), good quality bread, really good baked goods (from a good bakery or homemade), cheese, dark chocolate, all-natural ice cream and other sugary treats on occasion. This to me is the only way to eat.
  • lauracups
    lauracups Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    For me, it wasn't about giving anything up (entirely ), but being pickier. Example, I ordered pizza the other day for the kids, yes I like my pizza but I didn't want it late in the evening after I'd had almost all my calories, I enjoyed leftovers the next day, 2 slices , midday. Yesterday I had dark chocolate almonds (measured amount ), instead of wine for a treat, today instead of something sweet I'll probably have a cocktail (gonna need one today, outing with my mother ;) )
    I'm not always discerning, I sometimes go over on calories , it has made my weight loss slow, but upside is 60 lbs gone and it's not feeling like a diet.
    One exception is I have given up half n half in my coffee, because I'm good for about 4 cups a day and I just didn't want that much dairy anymore .