Exercise daily??

Options
I started out only exercising 2 to 3 times a week. Now I do it everyday. At the beginning I lost 30lbs in a month, and now I've lost a total of 47.6lbs since April this year. I get frustrated that now it's only 1lb to maybe up to 3 a week. Is there anything I could do differently to lose more?

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,967 Member
    Options
    1-3 lbs a week, so averaging about 2 lbs/week, is a good pace. "They" say ... no more than 2 lbs a week.
  • MrPositivity
    MrPositivity Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Yes 1-2 pounds a week is a good amount to lose. If you are trying to lose more than that you could be starving yourself and feeling hungry or missing out on essential nutrients. If you exwrcise too much you could end up burning yourself out.

You'll be rewarded once you reach your goal slowly but surely!
  • djspacecaptain
    djspacecaptain Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Since your down 47 lbs you could be close to your goal, and they say once you start getting close to your goal weight the weight comes off slower. If you get 2 lbs a week then stay at that pace!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    2lbs a week is the average/healthy loss so you are losing above average. Too aggressive a calorie deficit will not do you any favours long term. Be patient, you will get there, slowly but surely.
    1 rest day a week at least is essential for muscle repair. Working out every day can lead to burn out (been there, done that!)
  • stephinator92
    stephinator92 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I agree with what has already been said by other people. Also, typically the faster you lose it, the faster you're likely to gain it back. Take a step back & enjoy the journey. You're still losing a ton of weight. Also when you lose too fast you put yourself at risk for other things like hair loss, etc. Congrats on your loss thus far!
  • terbusha
    terbusha Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    Losing ~1-2 lbs/week is a great pace. If you lose more than that, you'll increase the amount of lean body mass you lose during a cutting phase, which will decrease your metabolism and make it more difficult to maintain weight loss. Just keep grinding away at it. You're doing awesome, so keep up the great work!

Be sure that you're eating enough too. You don't want to under-eat either. The slightly faster weight loss is not worth the bigger hit to your metabolism.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    you are loosing weight each week.. and the more you loose the slower it will get. the smaller you get, etc.... this is the law of the land.

trying to loose it faster and faster to gain an edge is a recipe for disaster in more ways than one. Aggressive is not the best approach, and why not avoid unnecessary muscle loss and let your skin, and the rest of your body catch up to the weight loss in a slow and meaningful way? You might be disappointed when you get to goal for not going slower..

• heathershaw4785
    heathershaw4785 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    vox.com/2016/6/29/12051520/exercise-weight-loss-myth-burn-calories-video I just read this article yesterday which talks about exercise being great for your health but not so much for weight loss. It is a good read when you have time.
  • arleneimojo
    arleneimojo Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    what I've always found is if my diet is not in control exercise just makes me want to eat more and without discipline and a plan i will eat the calorie deficits i create - also sometimes even when you do everything right your body just plateaus. Just hang in there and take it slow and steady. It is apparently worse for your health to lose it and put it back on than if you never lost it.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    One thing you could do differently is to have more realistic expectations...