How long does it take for lifting water retention to fall off?

Options
I added lifting back into my regimen after my diet bet ended. Since then, the scale is up about 4 pounds in that week and a half time. I know i am weighing and measuring my food as i have lost about 26 pounds and am rolling at about a 1000 cal deficit a day. So i am 100% sure i haven't eaten over 28k extra calories. The lifting is the variable that has changed. I lift 4 days a week and do some cardio 5-6 days. When should this start to fall off? I will still lose weight while lifting right?

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    As long as you are eating in a calorie deficit, yes, you will continue to lose fat. I don't know how long it takes for most people. My experience was that during the month when I started lifting, I gained 3 pounds and by the end of the next month I was back down 3 pounds, meaning a net loss of 0 pounds over 2 months but I had fat loss during that time (very apparent visual differences despite being the same weight.) So for me, it took 8-9 weeks after starting lifting to really see the scale moving more.
  • jayjay_90
    jayjay_90 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    The short answer is it'll be different for everyone. Wait a week or two (if it doesn't fall off before then). I wouldn't worry about it, just keep working on your lifting program. You will still lose weight yes, as long as you are accurate and sure you're in a deficit.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    It's different for everyone but when I started consistently lifting last year the scale spiked up by around 3lbs for around 3 weeks before it went back down. My weight fluctuates daily by 0.5-1lb but thats completely normal, owing to hormones/carbs/sodium/workouts.
  • Brocksterdanza
    Brocksterdanza Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I'm just hoping that i will still lose weight. Don't get me wrong, the inches lost are great, but i don't want to be in the 250s anymore. If i could get to 220 or so, i would be extatic. I actually contemplated losing all the weight i wanted to lose. Then at my goal weight, implement weight training. My goal is to be at 225 or so by Christmas. Will lifting keep that from happening?
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    As long as you aren't eating in a surplus or at maintenance, the weight lifting is not going to keep you from losing weight.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I'm just hoping that i will still lose weight. Don't get me wrong, the inches lost are great, but i don't want to be in the 250s anymore. If i could get to 220 or so, i would be extatic. I actually contemplated losing all the weight i wanted to lose. Then at my goal weight, implement weight training. My goal is to be at 225 or so by Christmas. Will lifting keep that from happening?

Nobody here can predict what you will or won't weigh by Christmas. I strongly suggest you not lose all of your weight before implementing weight training. Weight is not everything. I repeat, weight is not everything. In general, people who lift while losing weight have better physiques--even at heavier weights--than people who do no resistance training while losing. (Yes, that is a subjective statement.) If you are purely concerned with the number on your scale, go with your plan. If you have an inkling of desire to improve your body composition, keep lifting.