How Realistic is it

Options

Replies

• inezbruce
    inezbruce Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Yes, well now I am 176lb...
    I am going to try and replace a meal with a smoothie per day and work out as much as possible
  • aub6689
    aub6689 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Given your timeline, you would need a calorie deficit of over 1000 each day to obtain this goal. This deficit would have to include exercise, because you should not be eating less than 1200 calories.

I don't know why you've specifically chosen 14 lbs. I don't see how 14 is some magical number that makes you ready to go on vacation. Just do the best you can and if you only lose 5 lbs, that's still 5 lbs...
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    inezbruce wrote: »
    Yes, well now I am 176lb...
    I am going to try and replace a meal with a smoothie per day and work out as much as possible

then no, you don't have enough weight to lose to healthily lose 2+ pounds per week.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    If OP is 22 years old per the profile (unless this is different as well relative to current real life), how old or at what age was that profile picture taken?

Having a hard time understanding how someone with a beautiful thin body as in the picture would gain 66 pounds.. and timing of the weight gain and under what circumstances .. perhaps medical condition? etc..

Yes I am 22 years old, the photo taken I was 20!

OP, I am just trying to understand.. that is all. 2 years to put on 66 pounds seems like a lot when you were so underweight..

But in any case.. why the timing on this?

It may seem hard to believe but it is true.
    I wasn't underweight in the photograph, I was 10 stones which is healthy for my height.
    I am going on holiday and just want to feel good within myself.
    Others are advising me that I can loose 1-2 lbs a week so I will work towards that and hope for the best :)

so you were 140lbs in that picture, and you're now 200lbs?

if you're going from eating at maintenance to a deficit then its possible to lose 14lbs on the basis that a proportion will be water to start with.

Agreed!

edited to add: OP stated 179 pounds is what she weighs now, you take a away the 66 pounds she said she gained, she weighed 113 in that picture.. Something is off on OP's numbers.. If she weighed 10 stone (140 and gained 66 pounds she now weighs 206)..

edited to take away 3 pounds.. which is now 203 pounds..

why am I bothering.. movin on..
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Yes, that photograph is before I gained 66lbs!

4 stone is 56 not 66 pounds. So what do you weigh now? So that we can clear about what we are trying to assist you with? Your weight ticker is not updated either so we go by what we see in your profile.

And steering anyone into unhealthy weight loss is against all that is right in the world and the rules here on MFP and also my moral rules.

In realality 14 pounds is still not realistic and very unhealthy.

I weigh 176lbs now & I am 5'9

Doesn't change the fact that losing 14 lbs in 6 weeks is not realistic.
    I would say 3-6 lbs is more realistic and likely to happen.
  • inezbruce
    Options
    So i'l take this as an astounding no lol
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    So i'l take this as an astounding no lol

correct.

buy some nice holiday clothes in your current size, enjoy, get back to a calorie deficit afterwards! that's what i'd do anyway!
  • dgjmrhrmh99
    dgjmrhrmh99 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    14 lbs in 6 weeks is doable...that's just a little over 2 lbs a week..I am not surr why everyone is saying it's not doable..especially if you are only 22 and have no medical issues...Doesn't matter why you gained the weight (unless it was medical ) could of had a baby...a loss in the family that brought you down..the fact is ....you are wanting to take it off now...my advice is shoot for 14 lbs in 6 weeks... (please do it healthy) and if you only hit 10 lbs...big deal that's still awesome and no one is going to know if you weigh 145 or 141 (or what ever the numbers are) except you....give it a shot see how close you can get...but do it healthy or you will probably gain it back rather quick
  • inezbruce
    Options
    14 lbs in 6 weeks is doable...that's just a little over 2 lbs a week..I am not surr why everyone is saying it's not doable..especially if you are only 22 and have no medical issues...Doesn't matter why you gained the weight (unless it was medical ) could of had a baby...a loss in the family that brought you down..the fact is ....you are wanting to take it off now...my advice is shoot for 14 lbs in 6 weeks... (please do it healthy) and if you only hit 10 lbs...big deal that's still awesome and no one is going to know if you weigh 145 or 141 (or what ever the numbers are) except you....give it a shot see how close you can get...but do it healthy or you will probably gain it back rather quick

thanks for the positive comment :)
    I will definitely do it the healthy way and just do the best i can in such a short time
  • TavistockToad
    Options

but that's the point, given OP's stats, she CANT lose that amount of weight healthily...
  • inezbruce
    Options

but that's the point, given OP's stats, she CANT lose that amount of weight healthily...

What is healthily? Everybody has a different 'healthy'
  • dgjmrhrmh99
    Options

Maybe not...but she can shoot for that number and get as close as she can. And at 5'9 176 lbs she is 6 lbs away from the very high end of her bmi (I know this because I am 5'9 also...so 14 lbs is very doable with lots of healthy food...water and exercise...will it be hard and take dedication...u mmmmm yeah...but it doesn't mean it's NOT doable. and if she don't make it...big deal..at least she tried and got as much off as she could....I seriously think sometimes people use "the healthy way" phrase or excuse to not put 100% effort in...but that's just my opinion
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options

What is healthily? Everybody has a different 'healthy'

Too large of a deficit isn't healthy. Your body can only use so much of it's fat stores a day and after that it starts pulling from lean mass (your muscles, organs, etc.) Too large of a deficit can also lead to malnutrition (hair loss, brittle nails, fatigue, and that's just the tip of the iceberg there).

Given your height and weight, trying to lose over 2 lbs per week would result in a deficit that is too large. If your going somewhere in 6 weeks, I don't think you want to be dealing with the nasty side effects that large of a deficit would have on your body. Be reasonable with your goals so that you look and feel your best.
  • RoxieDawn
    edited June 2016
    Options

Maybe not...but she can shoot for that number and get as close as she can. And at 5'9 176 lbs she is 6 lbs away from the very high end of her bmi (I know this because I am 5'9 also...so 14 lbs is very doable with lots of healthy food...water and exercise...will it be hard and take dedication...u mmmmm yeah...but it doesn't mean it's NOT doable. and if she don't make it...big deal..at least she tried and got as much off as she could....I seriously think sometimes people use "the healthy way" phrase or excuse to not put 100% effort in...but that's just my opinion

I can shoot to loose 11 pounds in 4 weeks and give it all I have.. no no no! I guess I could wish for it to go a way too!!!

Cutting more than 1000 calories off a diet, is would surely to be devastating for muscle mass, surely will be devastating to a bodies needs to be able to have enough energy for normal bodily functions and repair and not getting enough nutrition definitely ensure that I will feel like crap in the mean time. And not to mention us women need to eat healthy to keep hormone production going.

It is posts like this that makes me cringe.. and healthy is just as it says.. healthy or its unhealthy, no grey matter, it is black or white.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    I can shoot to loose 11 pounds in 4 weeks and give it all I have.

Cutting more than 1000 calories off a diet, is would surely to be devastating for muscle mass, surely will be devastating to a bodies needs to be able to have enough energy for normal bodily functions and repair and not getting enough nutrition, surely I will feel like crap in the mean time. And not to mention us women need to eat healthy to keep hormone production going.

It is posts like @dgjmr that makes me cringe and healthy is just as it says.. healthy or its unhealthy, no grey matter, it is black or white.

Not to even mention that you'll feel like garbage when you go on that holiday that you just HAD to lose weight for.

How is 14 pounds going to make or break a holiday? You're going to eat, and drink and stuff yourself over your holiday anyway. Just go on your holiday and enjoy it and worry about weight loss when you come back.
  • RoxieDawn
    edited June 2016
    Options
    emdeesea wrote: »
    I can shoot to loose 11 pounds in 4 weeks and give it all I have.

Cutting more than 1000 calories off a diet, is would surely to be devastating for muscle mass, surely will be devastating to a bodies needs to be able to have enough energy for normal bodily functions and repair and not getting enough nutrition, surely I will feel like crap in the mean time. And not to mention us women need to eat healthy to keep hormone production going.

It is posts like @dgjmr that makes me cringe and healthy is just as it says.. healthy or its unhealthy, no grey matter, it is black or white.

Not to even mention that you'll feel like garbage when you go on that holiday that you just HAD to lose weight for.

How is 14 pounds going to make or break a holiday? You're going to eat, and drink and stuff yourself over your holiday anyway. Just go on your holiday and enjoy it and worry about weight loss when you come back.

Bingo you hit it.. Who wants to feel like "kitten" and go on that vacation!! Good call.

I guess I could off a limb before I go on holiday... LOL
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I think it is realistic actually. If you are just starting back on a healthy diet you could lose 3-4 pounds in week one. Then two pounds per week for the next five weeks and you'll be close to the 14 pound loss. I'd try to eat real food rather than meal replacements though.

That 3-4 lbs in the first week is due to water loss. Dropping carbs, lowering sodium, etc. It is not real fat loss. The other problem with that is that as soon as you go back to eating normal levels, it comes right back on and sometimes a bit more at first.
    Since OP is going on vacation, it is likely that big calorie restrictions are likely going to cause her to bloat if she goes on vacation and starts to eat normally.
  • dgjmrhrmh99
    Options
    I believe if you are eating the right foods ...filled with good nutrition and vitamins and protein your body will be just fine for 6 weeks...you add in exercise and lots of water to stay hydrated and get pleanty of sleep that in 6 weeks time you are not going to deteriorate and shrivel up and die....14 lbs would put her at a bmi of 23.9 which is JUST under the highest BMI For normal weight...which means she will still have enough meat on her to survive...now if she was 150 lbs wanting to lose 14 lbs I would say probably not a good idea...I say go for it...if she starts feeling like crap she can eat a freaking cheeseburger
  • RoxieDawn
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I believe if you are eating the right foods ...filled with good nutrition and vitamins and protein your body will be just fine for 6 weeks...you add in exercise and lots of water to stay hydrated and get pleanty of sleep that in 6 weeks time you are not going to deteriorate and shrivel up and die....14 lbs would put her at a bmi of 23.9 which is JUST under the highest BMI For normal weight...which means she will still have enough meat on her to survive...now if she was 150 lbs wanting to lose 14 lbs I would say probably not a good idea...I say go for it...if she starts feeling like crap she can eat a freaking cheeseburger

No No No! still No!

This is not good advice to give a 22 year old young woman.. Bad advice.. just wrong on all levels.

If you want to do this type of dieting then recommend this for your self, not to others.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

Yes, nothing wrong encouraging an otherwise healthy young woman to crash diet for a short period of time for a vacation. I can't see a thing wrong with encouraging that type of behavior. None at all.