Beginner runner needs help

Options
2»

Replies

• pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    Distance over speed. Speed will come. 13.41minute miles isn't bad. You're lapping everyone still on that couch. Keep at a pace you can keep without hurting yourself. An injury does no one any good. You will see progress as you go along which becomes it's won reward. Keep at it.
  • Lydilod
    Lydilod Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    What great posts, I've been thinking I'll never run any faster. I started 2years ago at 17minute miles and I'm now down to 12m/miles for 3miles. I was beginning to think that was it for speed for me but reading everyones post has now made me feel as if I will get faster with time and less weight.
    The best thing for me is I have hypermobility in my hip and because of running they have strengthened and I have less problems with them.
  • Wicked_Seraph
    Wicked_Seraph Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Echoing the choir here, but focus on distance first, not speed. I've burned myself out and injured myself trying to work on speed too soon.

After taking a few weeks off from running, I did so yesterday on the treadmill and was pleasantly surprised to see that, even with run/walk intervals, my average pace was faster than it was a few weeks ago - which surprised me considering it felt much easier than usual. My combined was 2.5mi (4K), so quite back up to 5K yet... but still. Your pace WILL improve as you build a strong foundation :smile:
  • BetterMike
    BetterMike Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Original poster hasn't been here for 3 weeks but the general advice still good for new readers.
  • workout_junkee
    workout_junkee Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Work on distance and speed will come. Do not be afraid of walk/run intervals. People of all distance levels use them. Check out Jeff Galloway for more info:). I use them training for my marathon.
  • TJnTexas
    TJnTexas Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Great posts and advice. I have been following the "Work on distance, the speed will come naturally" philosophy and have been able to increase speed over time as I added more distance. One other thing that really helped was looking at some YouTube videos to learn proper form, and asking people whom looked like experienced runners about form. Ended my shin splint and knees issues overnight.
  • kerstenk141
    kerstenk141 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat as you. My endurance isn't where I want it to be. I get so winded running and cant go very long. I have been doing interval training and its starting to work but I'd like to be able to run a full mile without feeling like I'm gonna drop. If you're interested in starting couch to 5k I'd be happy to do it with you. Could use a MFP buddy. Good luck on your journey!
  • niblue
    niblue Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Your current pace is actually just about ideal for someone starting out as most of us try and go far too fast in the early days. From where you are at the moment the best option to improve pace is to just keep training as the pace will come. Eventually you can look at a combination of longer slow runs and interval runs to improve pace but for the moment the best option is just to get out and run.

I was slower that you when I started C25K but by the end of it I was doing 5K in about 35 minutes, and after another 3 months I was under 30 minutes for 5K.
  • HapkidoDave69
    HapkidoDave69 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Gradually build up distance, don't worry about speed.
  • jeepinshawn
    jeepinshawn Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Pick one of the couch to 5k apps, then go for it!
  • keithearls
    keithearls Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi, I coach about 65 runners ranging from 40 min 4K times to sub 16 minute times. I agree with what others have said to a point-- you should just worry about running to begin with, at least until it becomes routine. At some point, generally about a month in for my new runners, we start talking about quality running being more important than the amount of miles you run.

At that point I start suggesting some basic interval work. If you don't know what that is, ask around here and i am sure people will help out.
  • Tweaking_Time
    Tweaking_Time Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Mother of pearl! I walk/ran 5k on Thursday for the first time in years because I decided to enter a mini-triathlon in September. Today is the worst!!! Considering I cycle a LOT, stamina was not the issue - different muscles were the issue. Going down stairs is horrible lol.
  • bketchum1981
    bketchum1981 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Wow! I signed up to RUN my first 5k. It just hit me, I will be 53 when I do it. (Hockeytown 5k)

I bought my shoes from Playmakers in Okemos, Michigan. They gave me a few pointers after video'ing me on a treadmill.

When I watched the video, I was distracted (impressed) by my calf muscles that it was difficult to listen to their advice. ** Giggle **

I started doing what I would call HIIT about 1-1/2 yrs ago snd I think it has made me stronger mentally and physically. I just started running and have been running (slowly) 1.5 miles. I plan to steadily increase as I can. The last thing I want us to be injured.

I haven't really had a game plan but it sounds like I need to run 3 times a week to build endurance.