Has anyone followed gastric bypass or gastric sleeve diet without actually doing the surgery?

Options

Replies

• Elaina291
    Elaina291 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    solieco1 wrote: »
    Also check out a book called State of Slim. Virtually eliminated my cravings in a couple weeks. For me the key was getting off the sugar. Not easy the first 2 weeks but you can do it. The key to weight loss is calories, eliminating the cravings allowed me to eat fewer calories.

That is definitely my plan. To get off the sugar and focus on getting more protein and healthy fats. Thanks for the book suggestion! I will definitely go check that out!
  • GiveHerWingsSheWillFly
    GiveHerWingsSheWillFly Posts: 17 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I'm curious as to how much you are actually spending on what you are eating and drinking. You should calculate a normal week. Write down everything you put into your mouth and approximate the cost at that time. If you have a candy bar write it down along with how much it cost. I think you can afford to eat healthy and make the right choices. You just may not realize it yet. I've started a journal today writing down everything I eat or drink, including ingredients, spices etc. I find a lot of accountability when you have to spell everything out. I would normally just type it into the computer but handwriting something out in a journal does seem to have more of an impact on my brain. If you can't do fresh produce buy frozen. It's usually a lot cheaper and you'll still reap the benefits. Good luck! :)
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I don't 100% agree with the sugar/carb haters. You lose weight by being in a calorie deficit. Yes, that can be easier if you eliminate higher calorie foods (like stuff with alot of sugar) Personally, I have no issues with sugar. I lose weight by eating less than I burn. I lost 40lbs on here in 7 months and I still eat pizza and cookies and ramen. Life where I have to eat cooked eggs, bitter greens, and bean soup all week would piss me off. And I'd also be pretty gassy.

I do agree that there are healthy, less processed foods that are inexpensive like beans, rice, oats, and seasonal fruit and veggies. Those are likely to be easier on someone with heartburn. I just got cherries at $1.78/lb since they are in season here. But I don't see an issue with also sucking down a package of ramen for $0.48 either. I do usually add some spinach or romaine to mine right when I take it off the heat and crack and egg in it like egg drop soup.

• cheekitty
    cheekitty Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I've had the surgery, and you might look into Optifast. It still requires a physician's supervision, and it's expensive - so not likely something you can afford right now. But you can look at the later stages of the diet and get an idea of what your target macros should be (protein, ect).

You can also check with your health insurance (Speaking as someone from the US, I'm unfamiliar with other countries' health systems) and see if a visit to a nutritionist is covered. Discuss your goals and work out a plan. Having a 'coach', even if you only see them every 3-6 months, is incredibly helpful.

Kicking the sugar habit is -hard-. Like, stop smoking hard. I have an eating disorder, and sugary stuff was my go-to for any sort of emotional distress. (And I had a lot of distress to eat my way through) Like any other addiction, it's hard for people that have never struggled with it to really "get" how hard it is. Unlike smoking, we don't have a patch. We don't have the 'just avoid the bar' help that alcoholics do. (Both of those are far more complicated, I'm oversimplifying here for a point)

So you have to figure out a way to keep yourself motivated that doesn't involve numbers on a scale. X days with your sugar intake under Y grams, you do something for yourself. A trip to the zoo, a movie out. Something that will not trigger food cravings (so if you usually get the popcorn, maybe a movie isn't a good idea). Something that fits within your budget, so you don't add stress, but is still something that feels like a reward or a treat.

Try not to beat yourself up if you slip and fall, but if you find yourself constantly slipping, you're going to have to be the one to take yourself by the shoulders and say 'This isn't slipping, this is a habit.'

I'm a student now; I know how hard it is, and how much stress it adds! To eat healthy when your budget is really tight. Especially when you're already struggling to make ends meet. But it IS possible, and you can do it. Hokey as it sounds, you just have to want it badly enough.

Good luck!
  • __leis__
    __leis__ Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I dunno if you have a farmers market in your city but some of the stands at my local market offers last week's produce at a discount. For example, cherries picked the same day will be $4/lb. Cherries from last week will be $1/lb. I saw where you said frozen veggies can be expensive at your store, do you have a friend with a Costco membership than can pick up a few things for you? I get broccoli there for around $8/bag. I know it's a lot up front but it's a huge bag and lasts my family over a month if we eat it a couple/few times a week. Winco is awesome, I don't think I have ever paid more than $1.30 for frozen foods. Grocery Outlet can be great too.
  • Elaina291
    Elaina291 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    cheekitty wrote: »
    I've had the surgery, and you might look into Optifast. It still requires a physician's supervision, and it's expensive - so not likely something you can afford right now. But you can look at the later stages of the diet and get an idea of what your target macros should be (protein, ect).

You can also check with your health insurance (Speaking as someone from the US, I'm unfamiliar with other countries' health systems) and see if a visit to a nutritionist is covered. Discuss your goals and work out a plan. Having a 'coach', even if you only see them every 3-6 months, is incredibly helpful.

Kicking the sugar habit is -hard-. Like, stop smoking hard. I have an eating disorder, and sugary stuff was my go-to for any sort of emotional distress. (And I had a lot of distress to eat my way through) Like any other addiction, it's hard for people that have never struggled with it to really "get" how hard it is. Unlike smoking, we don't have a patch. We don't have the 'just avoid the bar' help that alcoholics do. (Both of those are far more complicated, I'm oversimplifying here for a point)

So you have to figure out a way to keep yourself motivated that doesn't involve numbers on a scale. X days with your sugar intake under Y grams, you do something for yourself. A trip to the zoo, a movie out. Something that will not trigger food cravings (so if you usually get the popcorn, maybe a movie isn't a good idea). Something that fits within your budget, so you don't add stress, but is still something that feels like a reward or a treat.

Try not to beat yourself up if you slip and fall, but if you find yourself constantly slipping, you're going to have to be the one to take yourself by the shoulders and say 'This isn't slipping, this is a habit.'

I'm a student now; I know how hard it is, and how much stress it adds! To eat healthy when your budget is really tight. Especially when you're already struggling to make ends meet. But it IS possible, and you can do it. Hokey as it sounds, you just have to want it badly enough.

Good luck!

Yes I am realizing for me that refined sugar is going to be an all or nothing type of thing. I am going to have to learn how to do without it until I learn to minimize it (which might take years). Having a food addiction has to be one of the hardest addictions to have because its always around...at work...at school...home...church etc etc. I have tried to include it into my diet and I will do good for a few weeks and then bam have weeks of bingeing when something stressful happens. I just have to give it up.

And I so agree with how having a food addiction is one of the hardest because there is always someone going, "Do you want a piece of candy/chocolate/cake/cookies?"

But there is hardly ever someone going, "You want a cigarette/coke/heroin/wine/beer?" from day to day for those addicts. Its totally environmental and honestly almost like your choice if you go into those types of environments that offer those things, but food especially processed sugary crap is always there no matter where you go and I think that is what people don't realize about people who have trouble with losing weight with an eating disorder. It has hardly anything to do with being lazy or lack of willpower, but everything to do with learning how to deal with your addiction. For me, its going to be giving refined sugar up because that is my go-to when I'm stressed which has been every day lately.

I know its going to be hard, but I went vegan for a month and a half and that was extremely hard. This should be a bit easier since I won't be giving up dairy products.

• gesundundmunter
    gesundundmunter Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I shop mainly at a 99 cts store. There is a variety of fresh veggies and fresh fruit as well as cottage cheese, canned tuna in water, frozen fruit and veggies, etc.

Reading about the Ramen noodles and instant oatmeal, I was also wondering whether maybe you don't have access to cooking facilities? That happened to me when I was in a homeless shelter/transitional living home with heavy meals served and, in the latter, limited to one small container of personal foods and I ballooned. But that's also when I discovered the value of 99 cts stores. Hope you have one in your area.
  • suzan06
    suzan06 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    It's hard- really hard- to be on a low grocery budget. Do you qualify for SNAP? If so, get it!
    I feed a family of four on 400 to 600 a month (we try to keep it at 400 but don't always succeed). Here are my suggestions:

Breakfast: eggs or oatmeal. Stir a raw egg into your hot oats if you want a bit more protein, the hot oats will cook it. When veggies are cheap/free (like right now no one can give away zucchini, lol) I saute veggies with the eggs.

Lunch: try for dinner leftovers, or make a big batch of cheap soup- veggies, beans. Carrots are usually cheap in a 10 or 15 lb bag at my stores. Even in small bags they are 1.50 a lb or less. Cabbage is always cheap. Onions too. Beans are cheap even in small bags, and crazy cheap in a big bag from a Hispanic market.

Snacks: hard-boiled eggs, whole wheat bread+cheese, string cheese. Snacks tend to be $$$ so avoid for that reason. If I'm home I'll have soup for a snack.

Dinner: we do tacos a lot- see cheap beans, above, lol. Either as a salad or with the super cheap corn tortillas. We do soup- once a week usually (then I freeze extra for lunches). We do pasta with whole wheat noodles. We do stir fry with frozen veg in winter, fresh in summer, and tofu. Etc.

Basically for fruit and vegetables I aim for 1-1.50 a lb. If that means bananas only this week, because it's winter and fruit is all 4$ a lb, fine. They are always 50 cents a lb. Two fruit servings a day max because it's expensive and easy to eat a ton of, at least for my hubby, lol. This means almost no berries. Oh well. We'll survive!

For veggies, in the winter it's almost entirely frozen veggies except for carrots and onions (always cheap). If your local store's frozen vegetables are $$$$ it's worth it to shop around. Costco, kroger, and Aldi near me have them MUCH cheaper than the prices you quoted. Make an occasional trip to a better store if you can and fill your freezer.

We are vegetarian so meat isn't on my radar, but we eat a lot of eggs (actually we have chickens!) And hard-boiled eggs are basically the best food ever. Easy to transport, quick to eat, lots of protein, cheap. That and beans - I cook big batches of beans from dry and freeze in smaller portions if we can't eat them all at once. They give me something to soak up sauces instead of rice, iykwim.

It's hard to eat well, cheap. It requires constant planning ahead. That's why we try to automate it as much as possible with keeping soup always made-up, beans always cooked, etc. Yes it can get a bit boring and repetitive , but it gets the job done, healthy and cheap.

• cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I don't 100% agree with the sugar/carb haters. You lose weight by being in a calorie deficit. Yes, that can be easier if you eliminate higher calorie foods (like stuff with alot of sugar) Personally, I have no issues with sugar. I lose weight by eating less than I burn. I lost 40lbs on here in 7 months and I still eat pizza and cookies and ramen. Life where I have to eat cooked eggs, bitter greens, and bean soup all week would piss me off. And I'd also be pretty gassy.

I do agree that there are healthy, less processed foods that are inexpensive like beans, rice, oats, and seasonal fruit and veggies. Those are likely to be easier on someone with heartburn. I just got cherries at $1.78/lb since they are in season here. But I don't see an issue with also sucking down a package of ramen for $0.48 either. I do usually add some spinach or romaine to mine right when I take it off the heat and crack and egg in it like egg drop soup.

This. Congrats on your 40lb loss!!
    This is exactly how I lost close to 90lbs, by not cutting out anything or limiting carbs. Yes, I limit, but I don't cut out. I weigh absolutely everything except liquids and log everything...every little bite, taste and lick. For example, tomorrow is Canada day, and I'll be celebrating with margaritas, strawberry daiquiris, a big fat steak and dessert. All within maintenance.

And yes....I'd be angry and gassy, too. Interesting combination, perfect for payback/revenge. ;) Haha.
  • dmt4641
    dmt4641 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Where do you live that produce was $5? That is insane. Cabbage, carrots, onions, broccoli, celery can all be had under a $1 where I live.
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    dmt4641 wrote: »
    Where do you live that produce was $5? That is insane. Cabbage, carrots, onions, broccoli, celery can all be had under a $1 where I live.

That is really inexpensive. Google Stop & Shop or other grocery chains and look at their produce prices. You must live in a time warp?
  • dlkfox
    dlkfox Posts: 463 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Elaina291 wrote: »
    Psychgrrl wrote: »
    What does your weekly shopping list look like? Including what you might spend on snacks at work. A lot of us are on budgets, some tighter than others. I have a pantry full of cans of beans because they were on sale, as well as the packaged oatmeal I like (100 calories a serving). Also, canned tuna and whole wheat pasta. If we know what you have to work with, I'll bet some of the creative folks can help with recipe ideas.

I also shop my local store on Wednesdays because you get the sale prices from the previous week and the next week. I clip coupons to save more. I don't buy chips, crackers or anything else I'm likely to overeat (usually). Sometimes I do make room for a treat. :smiley:

Measuring out portions, on my food scale, also really helps me stay on track as it's helped my groceries last longer as I'm not overeating like I used to due to a misconception of portion size.

Everything I buy and eat is in my food diary. Its usually anything I can get for $3-4 or cheaper, but I guess I have to reevaluate my shopping list. Oatmeal, spinach, kale, blueberries, beans, strawberries, grapes, cereal, brown rice, ramen noodles and frozen dinners is the usual things on my shopping list because they usually round up to about 30 or 40 dollars.

I used to hate oatmeal growing up, but the instant oatmeal has made it manageable to eat and I actually love it now. Going to regular oatmeal I know is healthier, but its going to suck lol. Cinnamon and blueberries will have to do the trick I guess.

I also love brown rice, but now I realize I might have to trade it in for quinoa or cauliflower to lower the carb content.

And I do portion out my meals, but I guess I am not doing a great job of it lately.

@suzan06 has it right on for the shopping. The only thing I'd like to add is your comment about the frozen dinners.

Frozen dinners -- those are expensive and high in sodium compared to making your own meals. I highly recommend batch cooking or cooking with a plan for multiple meals. For example (and this strategy is my favorite), when bone-in chicken (whole, half, thighs, breasts, whatever) is on sale, buy it. Then slow cook or pressure cook it. Take the broth and save it for making soups, which are very filling and can go several meals. Then with the chicken meat, make several meals with that. Sometimes it's actual chicken soup or chicken pot pie. One day with sauteed veggies and ramen. The next day with veggies and brown rice. Another day lentils and chicken. Switch it up with spices. Chop it and make a chicken salad or chicken BBQ. Even chicken quesadillas. So much variation with one ingredient that can last in one variation or another for two weeks. You can even take those original chicken bones and cook those again with chunks of onion/celery/carrots and get more gelatin-rich chicken stock for more soup which makes it all go even further. Keep eating freezer meals -- just make them yourself.

• Nasho22
    Nasho22 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Don't know where you guys buy produce.. we have an aldi..and save a lot. Both stores have produce for great prices. I get grapes for .99 a pound, carrots for .89.. salad for from .69 to 1.49.. depending on season.. also I am in the lower Midwest. The prices here much better than California or Louisiana and some of the other states. Milk is 2.09 a gallon and eggs are .99 a dozen. For me fresh is as cheap as not.
  • Nasho22
    Nasho22 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Also sweet tea.. or tea of any kind.. (made from tea plant, herbs don't count) is bad during pregnancy. It leaches the iron from the blood stream and can cause severe anemia. It also contains tannic acid. The compound used for tanning leather.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    Nasho22 wrote: »
    Also sweet tea.. or tea of any kind.. (made from tea plant, herbs don't count) is bad during pregnancy. It leaches the iron from the blood stream and can cause severe anemia. It also contains tannic acid. The compound used for tanning leather.

http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/QAA400663/Is-Tea-Bad-For-Blood.html

...Tannins can lower hemoglobin because they block iron absorption. However, the effect of tea tannins on iron absorption seems to be limited to non-heme iron found in vegetables and grains, not heme iron from meat, fish and poultry. You're unlikely to run into a problem with iron absorption or a drop in hemoglobin unless you're a vegetarian who drinks a lot of tea.
  • madikasingersmommy
    madikasingersmommy Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have been there, done that. Not the bypass "diet" but HCG, Military, etc...And I hated every minute of them all! I was so grouchy, mean and starving!!! Sure I lost a ton of weight, but I gained it all back because I was starving and depriving myself. I currently do a 1300 cal a day meal plan with lots of protein and fruits and work out 5-6 times a week; and I have to say this is the best way for me, I am not starving, I am losing weight (5 lbs last week) and I am so much happier and feel so much better!! :) Good luck!
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Psychgrrl wrote: »
    Frozen veggies are cheap and you won't waste money if they go bad. Beans, canned tuna, brown rice can all be added in. I love yogurt as a sweet treat. Limit the surgery stuff you by and put it towards healthier stuff. Was Mart has cheap protein powder.

You can lose weight eating the surgery stuff--you're just eating too much of it. Going over your calorie goal is what limits your progress, not one food in particular.

Given you're prone to binging now, it doesn't seem like a super restrictive diet is in your best interests. You want to build sustainable habits.

What about seeing a licensed counselor? There must be some mental health coverage on your insurance. Addressing what causes you to binge/eat surgery stuff can really help. Stress causes so many issues for us. If you can find the money for the gastroenterologist, hopefully you can find the money for the copayment for the psychologist. Your mind is just as important to take care of as your body. :heart:

Frozen veggies are not cheap at my grocery store. Its 3.99 a bag. Canned veggies $1.89, sometimes cheaper. Which one would you choose if you only had only $20 to spend, this is including gas?

Do you have an aldi's or something similar by you? If so, they tend to be cheaper than a typical grocery store.
  • madikasingersmommy
    madikasingersmommy Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the 70lbs. Definitely go see someone about your reflux. Get on some meds if necessary. Don't put yourself on a very low calorie diet. You are doing fabulous. It's totally possible your weight and heartburn issues aren't related at all. My sister is 5'10" and like 130lbs soaking wet. She eats really healthy...but she has raging heartburn like all the time. She has like GERD or IBS or something.

Try to avoid trigger foods if you have them. Like I have an iron stomach mostly but freaking bananas just kill me with heartburn.

Yeah you're right, I guess I can't really decide on anything until I see the gastro dr and find out what's going on. Thanks!

I work for a general surgeon and what you need is an EGD (upper endoscopy) to see why you are having these symptoms. I would recommend staying away from fatty foods and spicy foods until you have your EGD.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    If so, was it successful for you? Should I do it?

Okay I have lost 70lbs so far, but for the past eight months, its been hard to get the rest off and I am still in class II obesity. Its starting to really affect my health and it seems like the hunger and the binges are getting harder to combat. I just want my appetite to go away and I was thinking that maybe trying this would tame it.

I can't afford the surgery and I can barely afford buying produce every week...so I thought about doing this as a last resort. Is it possible?

Are you a vegetarian? Your protein is pretty low. Looks like your macros are set to 60% carbs, 16% fat, and 24% protein and you often go over on carbs and under on protein. For example, last Friday you only hit 9% protein.

I don't think all those grapes are doing you many favors, especially since it looks like you are juicing them. What about more eggs and adding legumes? Dried bean in bulk are very cheap and filling.

I think changing your macros could really help with your desire to binge. Also, if you don't have a medical reason to track Sodium, try switching it out for Fiber and make sure you hit your fiber goal daily - fiber, fat, and protein are often very helpful in keeping people full.

For your snacks, look for foods with more protein and fat than rice cakes and air-popped popcorn. I'd be hungry two seconds after I finished eating that. I like cottage cheese, applesauce, and a T of peanut butter for a snack.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Nasho22 wrote: »

http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/QAA400663/Is-Tea-Bad-For-Blood.html

...Tannins can lower hemoglobin because they block iron absorption. However, the effect of tea tannins on iron absorption seems to be limited to non-heme iron found in vegetables and grains, not heme iron from meat, fish and poultry. You're unlikely to run into a problem with iron absorption or a drop in hemoglobin unless you're a vegetarian who drinks a lot of tea.

I'm pregnant and my doctor said tea is fine but not too drink it with meals since it can block the absorption of some nutrients.