Inspired by My Own Obesity

Options
I am 24 years old and and weigh in at 243 pounds at 5'4.

So I decided to introduce myself to see if maybe I can get some supporters for my long journey.

At 8 years old, I was diagnosed with Hypothyroidism and at 15 years old, I learned that I weighed at 194 pounds. When I turned 18 I was down to 169 pounds. I lost weight by moving more and eating less and making common sense choices about foods. I did this with no support and with no prior knowledge. During that year (my senior year) I met my *now* husband. We became pregnant and 9 months later, I weighed in at 229 before getting induced. At the age of 22, I got down to 193 but I failed to keep it off because I went from a stay at home wife to a full time employee and student.

Today, I'm 243 and my highest weight was 252.8. All of my life, I was told that I would be obese and because it ran in my family, it'd be inevitable. I know that partly, its because I have Hypothyroidism BUT its my fault because I wasn't always consistent with my medication nor my eating habits. Well I don't want to be the type to blame my disease or my genes for my obesity. I was never really taught to eat right because all of our vegetables (growing up) were smothered in butter. I have my own child now and I don't want to be the mom that doesn't play with their child or the mother that becomes the reason why their child doesn't know how to be healthy. Not only do I want to inspire my child but I want to help others.

So I made a pact with myself to work hard to lose 75 pounds by July of 2017. My ultimate goal weight is 140 but I do plan to revise that (if necessary) the closer I get. So for now, my goal is to be 168 pounds which is under my pre pregnancy weight. That is 6.25 pounds monthly. I also plan to go back to school for Nutrition and Physical Therapy and earn a bachelor's degree in that so I can help other's like me to reach their own health and fitness goals. But first, I need to reprogram how I eat and live!

Let me support you in your journey, and you inspire mine.

Thanks. <3

Replies

• KellBell113
    KellBell113 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! Congrats on making the first big step... committing to make a change!
  • erwingeminie20
    erwingeminie20 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Have you tried watching "Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead" documentary movie? Maybe that will help you loose your weight. You can try watching "Forks Over Knives" and "The PlantPure Nation". Those documentaries will help you motivate to loose weight. That helps me motivate to loose weight. I weight 293lbs last June 5 and I am now (June 30) at 274lbs. My blood sugar is 175 but when I went to more vegetables than meat and dairy, my sugar is now ranging from 85-110. Hope that helps.
  • PBWaffleCakes
    PBWaffleCakes Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the community! Feel free to add me. I started at 275 and now I am 145 and I am still losing!
  • toniquimby
    toniquimby Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I'm older than you, but our other stats are similar. I started at 248.2. My highest weight ever. I'm now down 24 pounds. Not sure what my goal is. I'm thinking I'll know it when I get there. Lol. Feel free to add me!! Congrats on the commitment to yourself and your child!
  • KeepingUpWithKari
    KeepingUpWithKari Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Thanks ladies
  • hypodonthaveme
    hypodonthaveme Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Having hypothyroidism doesn't mean you can't lose weight, it just means you have to work harder ( even if your numbers are in the normal range).

You can do it. For 12 yrs I unintentionally used the excuse I can't lose so why bother. 7 months into my journey and I am almost 50 lbs down.

You can do this. Weigh your foods. Avoid foods that your dr or dietician says to. Any and all exercise that you will stick to is highly recommended. Yes you lose weight by calories in calories out, but the exercise helps boost the metabolism and that is a much needed thing.

It is never too late to change for a healthier life. Never too late to teach your children how to eat and prepare healthy foods.
  • KeepingUpWithKari
    Options
    Thank you. ^^
  • lisahebert186
    lisahebert186 Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    Welcome!! I as Well have been heavy all my life. I now have three kids and my highest weight was 315 at only 5'. I decided at 36 it was now or never and that I wanted to be better for myself and my kids. I'm down to 265 and havevfiund so much support here on MFP. Good luck and know that you can do this and will do it.
  • Theresa_1973
    Theresa_1973 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I have hypothyroidism, arthritis and PCOS and I lost 164lb in 2 years (November 2012 - November 2014) and I've been maintaining my weight ever since; I'm a few years (18) older than you and I am approaching "The Change" so my hormones are all over the place even without the help of hypothyroidism :D ... Feel free to add me, I am online most days and I post replies to all my friends whenever possible and I like to chat.

Good luck on your journey .

Much love .

Theresa xXx
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I have hypothyroidism, arthritis and PCOS and I lost 164lb in 2 years (November 2012 - November 2014) and I've been maintaining my weight ever since; I'm a few years (18) older than you and I am approaching "The Change" so my hormones are all over the place even without the help of hypothyroidism :D ... Feel free to add me, I am online most days and I post replies to all my friends whenever possible and I like to chat.

Good luck on your journey .

Much love .

Theresa xXx

^ This is an MFP Rockstar! B)
  • GroundedOne2019
    GroundedOne2019 Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    Have you tried watching "Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead" documentary movie? Maybe that will help you loose your weight. You can try watching "Forks Over Knives" and "The PlantPure Nation". Those documentaries will help you motivate to loose weight. That helps me motivate to loose weight. I weight 293lbs last June 5 and I am now (June 30) at 274lbs. My blood sugar is 175 but when I went to more vegetables than meat and dairy, my sugar is now ranging from 85-110. Hope that helps.

Oh yes I have! I had lost 40lbs before I watched it and what a wake up call! Certainly motivated me to keep going!
  • Red5092
    Red5092 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Wishing you much success on your journey! You've got this! Just keep putting one foot in front of the other, and make good nutrition choices. Set realistic achievable goals daily/weekly, and you'll be at your goal weight before you know it!
  • kevinthedavis
    kevinthedavis Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Be strong! You can do it! It's all about the diet! You csn exercise and with the increased appetiteappetite, easily eat the calories back. No worries though: one day a ttime!
  • KeepingUpWithKari
    Options
    Thank you guys <3