Dermatitis & food

Options
Intentional_Me
Intentional_Me Posts: 336 Member
edited June 2016 in Food and Nutrition
Does anyone here deal with dermatitis on their scalp and forehead? Since I've had my boys I'm dealing with this and am wondering if eliminating something from my diet might help?

Didn't know where else to post this question so I hope this is okay :)

Replies

• geneticsteacher
    geneticsteacher Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I would think adding something like healthy fats, omega 3's in particular, might be of more benefit. Eliminating foods I would do only if it was based on positive results to allergy testing.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    I have it. Doesn't seem to change when I changed my diet many times before. I don't eat fish and never really did so I'm eating more walnuts and sources of omega 3
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    I just get a steroid cream and lotion from the doctor and that helps and use a tar shampoo once a week. Wish I could say the shampoos helped more but they don't. I guess the scalp get used to it.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    my boyfriend does and i am super interested to hear what others have to say! He's been to the derm and literally nothing has helped, steroids/urea cream/tar shampoo/niacin/etc. etc.
  • jbee27
    jbee27 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    No guarantee, but tea tree oil has been immensely helpful for my dry flakey scalp. I put a few drops in some coconut oil and massage into scalp, leave for a few minutes, and shampoo as normal. I have also put some on a cotton ball and dabbed directly onto the part of the scalp that gets the worst.

I've also seen that people mix it into their normal shampoo as well.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    jbee27 wrote: »
    No guarantee, but tea tree oil has been immensely helpful for my dry flakey scalp. I put a few drops in some coconut oil and massage into scalp, leave for a few minutes, and shampoo as normal. I have also put some on a cotton ball and dabbed directly onto the part of the scalp that gets the worst.

I've also seen that people mix it into their normal shampoo as well.

i actually just ordered some shampoo bars and a leave in treatment from a company. It's kind of like a last ditch effort at this point for his little patch.

http://www.bobeamnaturalproducts.com/#!product/prd3/4510916281/rootz-ice-shampoo-bar

Shampoo bar that doesn't contain SLS. it contains certain oils specifically for the scalp like teatree, peppermint, etc.

and i also got this-
    http://www.bobeamnaturalproducts.com/#!product/prd3/4510917051/apricot-&-avocado-hair-elixir

specifically to do scalp massage afterwards.

So we'll see what happens, but hey, why not promote small business while we're on the subject.
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Panda_Poptarts Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    I have dermatitis / psoriasis on my scalp, as well as chronic eczema. Both have increased significantly since dropping grains. Wheat appears to be the largest culprit for me, and I flare up pretty immediately upon adding wheat back, even in small quantities.

A dairy allergy or intolerance can be a trigger for eczema or dermatitis, too.
  • Intentional_Me
    Options
    I have dermatitis / psoriasis on my scalp, as well as chronic eczema. Both have increased significantly since dropping grains. Wheat appears to be the largest culprit for me, and I flare up pretty immediately upon adding wheat back, even in small quantities.

A dairy allergy or intolerance can be a trigger for eczema or dermatitis, too.

Thanks! I may try this
  • Intentional_Me
    Options
    And sorry for everyone else dealing with this too. Its a PITA for sure
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    If it's postpartum, that may just be a hormonal thing that will clear on its own.

My skin is very reactionary, and I do best with plenty of healthy fats in the diet, fish and nuts and avocado, and haven't noticed any difference related to grains. I will say that the calmest it gets is with lots of fish and berries, a loosely "anti-inflammation" sort of diet. Still can get hives with intense stress or turtleneck sweaters, though...
  • mom22dogs
    mom22dogs Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    If I quit eating wheat, mine goes away totally after about 3 weeks. Mine gets so bad that I get chemical burns on my neck/scalp where the dermatitis/eczema is when I color my hair. Being way more vigilant about wheat takes care of it.
  • brighteststitcher
    brighteststitcher Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Hey, I have this too and it sure is a PITA. I haven't noticed a reduction when eating paleo, but I'll keep an eye on it. What I have found that greatly reduces my misery is this holistic shampoo https://www.amazon.com/Maple-Holistics-Shampoo-Dandruff-Organic/dp/B00CNTJHQO/ref=sr_1_2_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1467239489&sr=8-2&keywords=sage+shampoo from amazon, and the smell is actually not terrible. Also letting my hair dry completely before bed or I'm miserable the next day.
  • ntbck8
    ntbck8 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I have chronic eczema in my family. I've treated mine with steroid creams which has not worked on my oldest daughter but did for me. My sister treated her daughter's scalp with oatmeal baths everyday. She said it worked wonders and was eventually able to switch her over to oatmeal based creams.
  • Zee48z
    Zee48z Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My 15 year old daughter had severe seborrheic dermatitis on her scalp. It was so bad that it spread to her face and neck. She used Head&Shoulders's Clinical Strength selenium sulfide dandruff and seborrheic dermatitis shampoo and we saw remarkable results after just one use. She has been using the shampoo for about 2 months now and her scalp is almost entirely dermatitis free! In addition, her face and neck are totally clear of the dermatitis. Her scalp used to constantly itch, but now she hardly ever itches. I highly recommend this shampoo. However, you have to be patient in order to see incredible results. Prescribed medicated shampoos did not work. Going to the dermatologist was a total waste of time and money. Good luck!
  • geneticsteacher
    geneticsteacher Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Could you possibly be allergic to your shampoo? It might be worthwhile to try something sulfate/paraben free.
  • Intentional_Me
    Options
    Zee48z wrote: »
    My 15 year old daughter had severe seborrheic dermatitis on her scalp. It was so bad that it spread to her face and neck. She used Head&Shoulders's Clinical Strength selenium sulfide dandruff and seborrheic dermatitis shampoo and we saw remarkable results after just one use. She has been using the shampoo for about 2 months now and her scalp is almost entirely dermatitis free! In addition, her face and neck are totally clear of the dermatitis. Her scalp used to constantly itch, but now she hardly ever itches. I highly recommend this shampoo. However, you have to be patient in order to see incredible results. Prescribed medicated shampoos did not work. Going to the dermatologist was a total waste of time and money. Good luck!

I use that shampoo and it highly improved but made my hair so greasy. Switched to a different kind & it came back. Currently trying to use H&S every other wash. I'll let you know how it goes!!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i use head and shoulders and tea tree oil. it seems to work well.

i also used a peppermint rosemary wash that helped too
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I hate to say it but.....soda. I have a lot more skin issues when I drink too much soda. And artificial sweeteners but I pretty much only have those in soda. Even full sugar soda gives me problems.

Diagnosed as a child with eczema/atopic dermatitis and never had soda then. Never. Cleared up with puberty - how's that for backwards lol.

Took me a while as an adult to figure out why sudden flare ups started again - which were severe with pregnancy. By chance one time I had eliminated soda and then I noticed my skin improving. Now years later after my own elimination testing, definitely soda for me. Have other allergies that affect me in other ways.

I stick to soaps that are NOT antibacterial - tears my skin up. I use plain neutrogena facial bar for my face and a plain oatmeal bar for the rest of me. Shampoo and conditioners make life interesting. I use head and shoulders weekly just for control and then try to find something not to harsh the rest of the time. My issues with shampoo is mainly what it does to my neck and back. I don't wash my hair daily with any cleanser unless I get really sweaty or otherwise dirty.

With tea tree and other oils be careful of amounts you use and mix well. Used incorrectly they can cause problems.