Can you get stronger with light weights?

Options
I don't have access to a gym so I have to go out and buy my equioement. I would buy heavier but ugh that gets pretty damn expensive. So my question is, is it possible to gain muscle just with light equipment? Example I have a 35lb barbell and just have 2 10lb plates and 2 5lb plates

Replies

• rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    You could superset with Plyometrics for strength.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I started buying pieces at a time. I started with a few light dumbbells, long bar with several plates (like you) and as I progressed, there was no choice but to go out and buy a few more. I think I now own about 11 sets of dubbmbells (being a girl I even found 17.5's and 22.5's to add my collection..LOL)...

My long bar does not weight 35 pounds, so I would a 35 pound bar and 30 pounds in plates is a good start.

You can get stronger and you can use that long bar to do a lot of exercises, like landmines, split squats with bar, bench, back squats ( did buy a rack later on for when I do not have a spotter at home), deadlifts, straight leg deadlifts, bicep curls, etc.. You can do speed work, you can test lifts by doing various styles, you can do circuit style lifting.. so yes you can!

• owieprone
    owieprone Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Simple answer is yes. You can gain muscle with bodyweight exercises. As gyms are out, have you considered a personal trainer or sports clubs like boxing, martial arts, triathlon clubs etc?
  • blopmiyers
    blopmiyers Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    I started buying pieces at a time. I started with a few light dumbbells, long bar with several plates (like you) and as I progressed, there was no choice but to go out and buy a few more. I think I now own about 11 sets of dubbmbells (being a girl I even found 17.5's and 22.5's to add my collection..LOL)...

My long bar does not weight 35 pounds, so I would a 35 pound bar and 30 pounds in plates is a good start.

You can get stronger and you can use that long bar to do a lot of exercises, like landmines, split squats with bar, bench, back squats ( did buy a rack later on for when I do not have a spotter at home), deadlifts, straight leg deadlifts, bicep curls, etc.. You can do speed work, you can test lifts by doing various styles, you can do circuit style lifting.. so yes you can!

I will eventually buy more equipment. But ill take that advice and do lifting circuits. Would 6 exercises a circuit seem like too much?
  • rontafoya
    rontafoya Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    You can but it's difficult. Do research on progressive overload--but in short, you have to keep increasing weight, reps, sets, difficulty to get stronger. With light weights your capacity to do that is limited. Possible, yes--but limited somewhat.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    You can do a lot with that barbell and your weights, and while you are progressing with what you have keep an eye out for used or even free plates to add to your collection. You can also use the bar to do single arm deadlifts, chest presses, squats OHP etc. Its a fun variation that will requires a lot more stability than short dumbbells or both hands. You can also get some cheap resistance bands and add them to your barbell , google something like "resistance bands with barbell" You can also add things like chains or paint cans or cement blocks to add weight.
  • blopmiyers
    blopmiyers Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    rontafoya wrote: »
    You can but it's difficult. Do research on progressive overload--but in short, you have to keep increasing weight, reps, sets, difficulty to get stronger. With light weights your capacity to do that is limited. Possible, yes--but limited somewhat.

Yeah.. I was looking into 5x5 Strong lifts but lack the equipement.
  • tillerstouch
    tillerstouch Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    You might want to look into a good body weight program, could be more beneficial then light weights.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    blopmiyers wrote: »
    rontafoya wrote: »

Yeah.. I was looking into 5x5 Strong lifts but lack the equipement.

5x5 SL is not going to be suitable without the right equipment, but all is not lost...

There is a lot you can do with only body weight - Look into Convict conditioning and/or Mark Lauren's You Are Your Own Gym routines which require zero equipment.

Add to these some work with the bar that you have and you could have a very challenging and progressive routine.

Also, if cost and space is an issue, I would say that you could do a whole lot worse than an door type pull up bar. Pull up variations are an awesome strength and hypertrophy exercise.

Best wishes

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    There are ways to make lighter weights more difficult by changing leverage & tempo. Deal with what you habe until you get more. Definitely incorporate body weight movements & progressions.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    blopmiyers wrote: »
    RoxieDawn wrote: »

I will eventually buy more equipment. But ill take that advice and do lifting circuits. Would 6 exercises a circuit seem like too much?

Not all. I have designed circuits of up to 10 to 11 exercises. I called these my fat burners! LOL