Starting out at the gym

Options
Does anyone have an tips on how I can motivate myself to get to the gym? I feel so self conscious there. I have no idea what to do. Losing weight has been a battle my entire life. I do really well and then I just get back off of it and gain all my weight back. Constant yoyo-ing!! I'm really glad I started using this app because I need to talk to people who are going through what I'm going through so I can stick with this for the rest of my life and not just 5 months. I've been eating very healthy for the last 3 weeks or so and have lost about 5 lbs. I feel like if I become a gym addict I'll stay on track! Help?!

Replies

• mecoconleche
    mecoconleche Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I was self conscious too. But everyone is too busy doing their sets that they won't even care what you do
  • ElJefePerron
    ElJefePerron Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Forget everyone. Make a plan and execute it. I throw my eat buds in and grind out my workout.
  • heatherheyns
    heatherheyns Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    There are a few options. You can ignore everyone else, put on your head phones and get though it. You can find a gym buddy because people feel better about doing stuff in a pair. You can get into the classes or anything likethat to make friends, because being part of a group can make it more comfortable . All of them require one thing first, which is to suck it up and go.

Another tip is to go online and look up gym videos. It sounds dumb but it helped me. I felt like, after reading and watching all these things about what not to do, and gym etiquette, I wasn't going to go in and cause problems. It made me feel like I knew what to do.
  • danibabii11
    danibabii11 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way at the gym... but as someone that works at one I can reassure you NO ONE IS PAYING ATTENTION TO OTHER PEOPLE lol. No one is judging you, if anything they are thinking how impressed they are at someone going in and trying to keep up a life style. Keep trying you will get there!!! Good luck!
  • wendymoira
    wendymoira Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    What helped me was signing up for at least one weekly class I liked - I hated wasting $$ by missing the class, so that was one gym visit a week right there, plus it got me in the door. (Of course that won't work if you hate all group classes; I also thought about signing up for personal training, but that's more expensive.) I'm not a gym rat, but at least now it's a normal part of my routine.
  • lgregory6540
    lgregory6540 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    There are a few options. You can ignore everyone else, put on your head phones and get though it. You can find a gym buddy because people feel better about doing stuff in a pair. You can get into the classes or anything likethat to make friends, because being part of a group can make it more comfortable . All of them require one thing first, which is to suck it up and go.

Another tip is to go online and look up gym videos. It sounds dumb but it helped me. I felt like, after reading and watching all these things about what not to do, and gym etiquette, I wasn't going to go in and cause problems. It made me feel like I knew what to do.

^ this!! I was so scared of not knowing what I was doing and so self conscious that everybody would notice and see me fumbling and be like oh clearly she's never been to the gym hense why she's huge! So not the case, but in prepping I looked up on Pinterest exercises for what I wanted to accomplish and then you tubed the machines that they used. It gave me just a little bit of confidence and I do it every now and then when I can't remember something. Also some gyms offer an orientation, it just takes one thing off ur plate when facing what feels like a hurdle. As it turns out- most people in the gym are totally happy to help you out!
  • happyauntie2015
    happyauntie2015 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I felt exactly as you do or I atleast did! I have been going to the gym now for a couple months and I can assure you no one will be watching or judging what you are doing. I did find which I like that now that I am experimenting with free weights that should someone happen to glance around and see me with wrong form that they approach me which I appreciate and comment in how far I have come and offer advice! :) You can do this you just gotta get a foot in the door!!
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    The vast majority of people are going to just be focused on their workouts.

Some great replies already but I'd also suggest you see if you can get a basic orientation or consult (our gym offers them for free) just to learn the basics and proper gym etiquette/etc.

That and having someone show you around might make you more comfortable there.
  • moodygnome
    moodygnome Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I've just started back at the gym too and know how you feel. Even worse, as a 47 year old, I go the the university gym so it's full of super fit young things! BUT... Nobody pays me any attention, all too busy with their own programmes. I just stick the ear phones in and listen to the omnibus edition of The Archers. Hey, I did say I was middle aged!
  • DaniettaF
    DaniettaF Posts: 212 Member
    Options

I was going to say this. Headphones are the best for keeping you in the zone and to keep your concentration elsewhere, especially if you're doing cardio. You can listen to audio books too if music makes your mind drift on to worrying about others.

• scoii
    scoii Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    There are certain types of people in every gym.

Let the big guys lift big weights.
    Let the posers who skip leg day look in the mirror.
    Let the clueless people damage their backs with poor form.
    Let those who want to lose weight get on with it and maybe make a gym buddy.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Watch youtube videos for ideas on exercises and routines or hire a trainer to show you how to use the equipment and tell you what to do. There is so much information online though; places like bodybuilding.com are quite useful
  • songbird13291
    songbird13291 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    It might be wise to have a trainer at the gym show you how to use the equipment and give you a personalized plan on what to do. It'll boost your confidence.
  • Slashnl
    Slashnl Posts: 339 Member
    Options

I can't say it any better than this! I started going to the gym at my high weight of 294. Not a fun thing to do and I was self-conscious too. You just have to work past it, and find something that you really like to do. Classes are great for getting to know people!
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    I do so many workouts at home in my underwear, lol. No need to be self-conscious if you are by yourself! Youtube can be your friend. I do all kinds of online videos, from kickboxing to Zumba. Jillian Michaels and Denise Austin have many free online videos. Find something you like and it will be easy to keep doing it. Also, check with your local library to see if they rent out exercise dvds or if they do free ILLs (borrow from other libraries). I get a lot of dvds that way.
  • Chelseamatic1
    Chelseamatic1 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Try the classes at the gym. I hate the regular part of the gym.. I get bored and I'm not a good self/motivator. I do spin, yoga, pump, TRX and dance classes and I love them! So fun. I actually made friends and they help keep me on track, and I look forward to going... Good luck!
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Any time I go to a new gym, I have a trainer show me around if possible first. When I go the first time on my own I like to get on the treadmill/elliptical and just kind of look around, at the equipment, at the people, at where towel/cleaners/etc are placed, to just get a feel for it. Then I start making plans for what work outs I'll be doing that day.
  • Loves2snack
    Loves2snack Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I noticed ( back when I was working out) that when I went to the gym, it motivated me to eat better! I just got a gym membership and I'm working my way back there too! I try not to think about others looking at me...
    1. They aren't there to stare at you
    2. they might be insecure themselves!
    3. You are there for you! and you are beautiful!

mUAH!!
  • tillerstouch
    tillerstouch Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Can you find someone to be a workout buddy? It doesn't work as well if you do cardio but for weight lifting it's great, you have someone to keep you accountable, push you, and spot you.

Or find some good workout jams and go to town on your workout.

You gotta find the thing that gets you excited, for me it's lifting and seeing increases in strength. I want to push myself so it's easy to go.
  • dolliesdaughter
    dolliesdaughter Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Do your thing, as long as you have proper gym etiquette even in the face of those who don't, you will be fine.