Underestimating Foods? Post Please.

Options
2»

Replies

• bkennedy29
    bkennedy29 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    llbrixon wrote: »
    Another food that is hard to measure is all the popcorn I eat. I will definitely be getting out the scale for sure. I was under estimating popcorn too.

Make sure to measure your popped popcorn in a measuring cup. 3 cups = 1 serving. If you throw popcorn on a scale you'll end up with WAY too much, simply because it does not weight much.

-Britney
    @onpointphilly
  • bkennedy29
    Options
    I think I am seriously under estimating the amount of watermelon I am eating. 1/2 cup is a great amount to eat, but who only eats a small amount of watermelon? I just ate up the rest of the watermelon this morning.

We usually buy a watermelon, then cut it up in large bite-size pieces and put it in a bowl, refrigerate. Then, you grab what you want to eat. I am back to measuring!

1 serving of watermelon is actually 1 1/2 cups cubed. Don't stress too much over being perfect here though. There are much worse things to be eating than watermelon. However, too much of a good thing is still too much. I would suggest keeping a 1/2 cup measuring spoon in the bowl in your refrigerator and scooping 1.5 cups it into a bowl when you get a hankering for a fruit.

-Britney
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    bkennedy29 wrote: »
    Another food that is hard to measure is all the popcorn I eat. I will definitely be getting out the scale for sure. I was under estimating popcorn too.

Make sure to measure your popped popcorn in a measuring cup. 3 cups = 1 serving. If you throw popcorn on a scale you'll end up with WAY too much, simply because it does not weight much.

-Britney
    @onpointphilly

No, that doesn't make any sense. Logging by weight, you look for the entry in the foods list that gives you the number of calories per 100 grams. Then you weigh a bowl of popcorn, see how many grams it weighs, and record that as grams/100 (so if you eat 20 grams of popcorn, you say you ate 0.2 servings of popcorn.

Calories and weight are not the same. You can measure by volume or weight, but measuring by weight doesn't make you pick more volume (and thus count more calories)
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,154 Member
    Options
    Now I want watermelon!
  • bkennedy29
    Options
    savithny wrote: »
    bkennedy29 wrote: »

-Britney
    @onpointphilly

No, that doesn't make any sense. Logging by weight, you look for the entry in the foods list that gives you the number of calories per 100 grams. Then you weigh a bowl of popcorn, see how many grams it weighs, and record that as grams/100 (so if you eat 20 grams of popcorn, you say you ate 0.2 servings of popcorn.

Calories and weight are not the same. You can measure by volume or weight, but measuring by weight doesn't make you pick more volume (and thus count more calories)

Yes, you are correct. But - what most often happens is that most people do not properly convert. I'm not sure about you, but I think scooping 1 cup of popcorn is much faster and easier.