Bosu Ball- great for full body

ma1130
ma1130 Posts: 5
edited September 19 in Fitness and Exercise
For those who dont know what a bosu ball is... it looks like half a stability ball with a flat bottom. I do a few different workouts on this thing which all have shown great results.

1. Flat side down- stomach on ball- hands on head (like you are doing a crunch) and lift and lower upper body up. Squeeze your butt. Careful not to come up so high that you crunch your back.

2. Flat side down- do regular crunches

3. Flat side down- do side and regular isoprones. You can either hold them or lower and lift your hips.

4. (MY FAVORITE) Ball side down- I would set up next to a wall for balance, stand on flat part about shoulder width apart. It is hard at first. I could barely keep my balance. I kept shaking back and forth. Once you perfect standing, then you can try some squats. Once that gets easy, then add 5 or 10 lb weights if you want. Once that becomes easy then try standing on one foot. It took me a while to balance on one foot. Once I felt comfortable with that, then I went to one legged squats. Then with added weight. Now I can do 3 sets of 15 on each leg with 10 lb weights!! I feel the burn but I have seen my legs transform. Plus it is the total opposite of boring. I love the challenge of trying to keep balance.

I have learned some more exercises you can do with the BOSU ball so reply if you want more!!!

GOOD LUCK!

Replies

• ma1130
    For those who dont know what a bosu ball is... it looks like half a stability ball with a flat bottom. I do a few different workouts on this thing which all have shown great results.

1. Flat side down- stomach on ball- hands on head (like you are doing a crunch) and lift and lower upper body up. Squeeze your butt. Careful not to come up so high that you crunch your back.

2. Flat side down- do regular crunches

3. Flat side down- do side and regular isoprones. You can either hold them or lower and lift your hips.

4. (MY FAVORITE) Ball side down- I would set up next to a wall for balance, stand on flat part about shoulder width apart. It is hard at first. I could barely keep my balance. I kept shaking back and forth. Once you perfect standing, then you can try some squats. Once that gets easy, then add 5 or 10 lb weights if you want. Once that becomes easy then try standing on one foot. It took me a while to balance on one foot. Once I felt comfortable with that, then I went to one legged squats. Then with added weight. Now I can do 3 sets of 15 on each leg with 10 lb weights!! I feel the burn but I have seen my legs transform. Plus it is the total opposite of boring. I love the challenge of trying to keep balance.

I have learned some more exercises you can do with the BOSU ball so reply if you want more!!!

GOOD LUCK!
  • renae77
    renae77 Posts: 3,394 Member
    That is cool! I wondered if that thing really worked. You must be good if you are doing squats on one leg. I would die!! LOL! :blushing: I may just have to get one of those things!
  • Theresa35
    Theresa35 Posts: 1,102
    :flowerforyou: You are a bosu ball GODESS!!! :flowerforyou:

LOL...I have used it before with my trainer and it was HARD...great job on the balance and the one leg squats...YOU ROCK!!! :drinker:
  • I love the bosu ball! I want one but I don't want to spend $100 on it just yet. I go to a "bosu boot camp" on Saturday mornings and its so fun!
  • jljohnson
    jljohnson Posts: 719 Member
    ma1130 -

Do you know of any routines or DVD's that go with the BOSU? I used to take a class at the YMCA on these that was super fun, but have moved and can't find a class here.

Thanks!

Jenna
  • ma1130
    Personally, I have never used a specific routine or DVD. I just think of exercises I do not using the ball and try to incorporate the ball. Like a pushup. You can do a modified pushup using the bosu ball. flat side down- One hand on the ball and the other on the floor. And then switch the hand you put on the ball. Or like bicep curls. ball side down- Stand on the bosu ball while doing bicep curls. It just adds enough instability to make it a full body workout! Once you can just stand on the ball without shaking then you can pretty much do any dumbbell exercise on it.

However, Im sure there are dvd's out there with specific bosu ball routines. I would just try searching online.
This discussion has been closed.