Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

The SelfHelpWorks "LivingLean" Program rules...since when is an egg a "treat"?!

Options
Serena_Heart
Serena_Heart Posts: 13 Member
I decided to try the SelfHelpWorks LivingLean Program because there was a discount offered through my insurance, and it seemed to focus only on breaking unhealthy emotional relationships with food. I got through the first course, thought it was very watered down and common sense information, and then Course 2 happened. Here are the nutritional program rules:

-Less than 30 % fat and added sugar for meals and packaged foods.

-3 grams or more of fiber for grain products.

-Whole grain flour products (except that monthly pizza party).

-Protein, fruits, vegetables, calcium rich foods, and whole grain every day.

-Sunday - Thursday: never eat within 2 hours of going to bed.

-Red meat, eggs, treats maximum once WEEKLY trending toward once MONTHLY.

Okay, I mostly have no issue with this. But one egg a *month*? What the hell is that?!

Have any of you tried this program, and gotten frustrated by the nutritional rules? This program disguised itself as an emotional eating recovery program, but it seems to be trying to implement weird rules about eating already, and I'm only on course 2!

Replies

• Keladelphia
    Keladelphia Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of this program but if I can't eat eggs everyday i'm out!
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Maybe they are talking about

easter-egg-treats.jpg
  • Serena_Heart
    edited June 2016
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    I decided to try the SelfHelpWorks LivingLean Program because there was a discount offered through my insurance, and it seemed to focus only on breaking unhealthy emotional relationships with food. I got through the first course, thought it was very watered down and common sense information, and then Course 2 happened. Here are the nutritional program rules:

Okay, I mostly have no issue with this. But one egg a *month*? What the hell is that?!

Have any of you tried this program, and gotten frustrated by the nutritional rules? This program disguised itself as an emotional eating recovery program, but it seems to be trying to implement weird rules about eating already, and I'm only on course 2!

Agreed. It sounds like the opposite of emotional recovery and could lead to very disordered thinking about food.

It's very disappointing, because it had potential. The program seems to have some vague good messages mixed in, but dammit I eat 2 eggs a day and get off work at 11:30PM. It is so unrealistic and backwards. Time to cancel my trial of the program!

Bummer that it's difficult to find a healthy living program that helps guide people with disordered eating through recovery. The egg rule and no eating before bed are Oprah-level-bullsh*t.
  • Serena_Heart
    Options
    I've never heard of this program but if I can't eat eggs everyday i'm out!

Honestly, how else can a person get good protein easily and quickly? I can't think of anything more balanced and easy than a couple of eggs for breakfast with some veggies and coffee...

If I did what he's suggesting (he also pushes "lean protein once a day" rather than at every meal), I would be faint, crabby, and my blood pressure would be even lower than it already is. Frankly, I kinda hate this guy for badmouthing eggs. ;)
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

Agreed. It sounds like the opposite of emotional recovery and could lead to very disordered thinking about food.

It's very disappointing, because it had potential. The program seems to have some vague good messages mixed in, but dammit I eat 2 eggs a day and get off work at 11:30PM. It is so unrealistic and backwards. Time to cancel my trial of the program!

Bummer that it's difficult to find a healthy living program that helps guide people with disordered eating through recovery. The egg rule and no eating before bed are Oprah-level-bullsh*t.

These programs seem to generate more angst than they relieve. Have you tried this? What is Normal Eating?
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Funny that. I just ate six weeks of eggs and meat in a single sitting.
  • Bryan_N
    Bryan_N Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Actually, I've been through the program myself and it's AWESOME - just be patient and ignore the nutritional suggestions you don't agree with (there are many philosophies out there). This is a very effective program that's been around for over a decade and is used by a number of leading wellness program providers. Here's a link with others' experiences that you may find helpful: http://www.selfhelpworks.com/corporate/WhatUsersSay.aspx
  • MrSimmers
    MrSimmers Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Bryan, your post is advertising and highly misleading. I suggest everyone ignore it.

The truth is the advise within that program Serena sounds like complete bunk, mainly due to it stating to avoid red meats and fats. And that's bad advice. Fats are an essential source of cholesterol which we need for viscosity within our cell membranes. Without it, our cells don't form properly. Avoid any books or course that says "fats are bad".

The truth is the only fats that are bad are the ones that don't exist in nature, and that includes artificially produced trans-fats. These are synthetic fats that can lead to heart disease and cancer. But natural fats from grass-fed, organic cattle, should not be avoided. They are part of a healthy diet. I recommend 3-4 times per week, the other days being fish from sources that are far away from mercury contamination, preferably smaller fish.

Also, eggs are a good source of protein. Ignore the program.

• Bryan_N
    Bryan_N Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Appreciate the input Mr Simmers, although what I posted is not misleading. Let me explain why. I have a nutritional background myself, and I agree with your comments about fats, and the research now supports eggs too. This is why I said, "Ignore the nutritional suggestions you don't agree with" - nutritional research is forever changing, and what is considered "bad" one day may be considered "good" the next. Not to mention all the conflicting theories published by various experts.

Serena, I was obese as a child and used to have some real issue eating issues. I went through this same program back in 1997 when it was taught live (before it was available from SelfHelpWorks on the Internet). Although it required an honest effort (I had to drive to the classes after work a few nights a week) I was thrilled that my "main munch" cravings disappeared after a few weeks. I then took the same program online about 3 years ago - a great refresher and much more convenient. I was able to log on at home or in the office instead of having to drive to classes, and I didn't have to attend at specific times - it's all recorded you can log on whenever you want.

I will tell you from personal experience (not advertising) that nutritional suggestions are just a small part of it - if you remain patient, pay attention to the information in the videos and use the cue cards correctly I think you will be very pleased with the results.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I have not tried it but it doesn't sound like an unhealthy eating plan.

The rules certainly aren't necessary for weight loss but I know nothing about breaking unhealthy emotional relationships with food so can't really comment on whether they are good for that or not.

Ignoring the plan suggestions you don't agree with sounds stupid to me. Why bother with a plan if you aren't going to follow it? Try it or don't, but don't halfa$$ it.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Bryan_N wrote: »
    This is why I said, "Ignore the nutritional suggestions you don't agree with" - nutritional research is forever changing, and what is considered "bad" one day may be considered "good" the next. Not to mention all the conflicting theories published by various experts.

The way you say that, it sounds like maybe sugar and cake might turn out to be healthy and we'll realize that it's really vegetables that cause health problems. Like, who knows, right? One day something is "good," the next day it's "bad," anything is possible. But I think we can all agree that eating a bag of sugar for dinner and avoiding broccoli is a bad idea, and it will be a bad idea tomorrow too. I don't know why people pretend this is so much harder and more complicated than it really is.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Bryan_N wrote: »
    Appreciate the input Mr Simmers, although what I posted is not misleading. Let me explain why. I have a nutritional background myself, and I agree with your comments about fats, and the research now supports eggs too. This is why I said, "Ignore the nutritional suggestions you don't agree with" - nutritional research is forever changing, and what is considered "bad" one day may be considered "good" the next. Not to mention all the conflicting theories published by various experts.

Serena, I was obese as a child and used to have some real issue eating issues. I went through this same program back in 1997 when it was taught live (before it was available from SelfHelpWorks on the Internet). Although it required an honest effort (I had to drive to the classes after work a few nights a week) I was thrilled that my "main munch" cravings disappeared after a few weeks. I then took the same program online about 3 years ago - a great refresher and much more convenient. I was able to log on at home or in the office instead of having to drive to classes, and I didn't have to attend at specific times - it's all recorded you can log on whenever you want.

I will tell you from personal experience (not advertising) that nutritional suggestions are just a small part of it - if you remain patient, pay attention to the information in the videos and use the cue cards correctly I think you will be very pleased with the results.

Or you could just limit your intake of calories to less than the amount you burn and eat whatever you like. And lose weight.