Your favorite CHEAP meal!

Options

Replies

• LuckyNumbers
    LuckyNumbers Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Eggs overeasy on top of rice. Add salt and pepper and I'm in heaven.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Leftovers! Practically free. Put them in a wrap. Add a little cheese, a little lettuce, a little hot sauce.
  • johnnylakis
    johnnylakis Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Pizza, yes pizza. If you eat only one slice, 272 cal, 10g fat, 33g carb, 12g protein. Very balanced
  • cblairnh
    cblairnh Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Don't forget to look in your grocer's produce section for marked down vegs that need to be sold right away. They might be a little bruised or getting limp but you can still cook with them.
  • CandehMandeh
    CandehMandeh Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Hummus sandwiches : )
  • Saskwatch99
    Saskwatch99 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Bean and rice with salsa and sliced avocado.
  • Ben_there_done_that
    Ben_there_done_that Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    1 x bag of steamable frozen vegetables. 1 x pre-cooked (but microwaveable) frozen chicken breast. Costs like $2 a meal and it's all done with a microwave. I can't cook though. Clearly.
  • need2belean
    need2belean Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Low carb tuna casserole. One bag of frozen broccoli/cauliflower (2$), a little light mayo (.50c), 2 cans of tuna (2$) and some fat free cheese (or whatever cheese you want) ($1.50). Super filling meal for 6$. And most people can't eat the whole thing but I like my protein and I love my veggies.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Beans and cornbread with chopped scallions
    chili
    Anything made with venison (supplied for the cost a bullet by our local furry friends)
    Anything made with eggs (we have chickens, but eggs are pretty cheap anyway)
    Beans and rice
  • Annamarie3404
    Annamarie3404 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Avocado and Egg salad
  • californiansun
    californiansun Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    captbklee wrote: »
    1 x bag of steamable frozen vegetables. 1 x pre-cooked (but microwaveable) frozen chicken breast. Costs like $2 a meal and it's all done with a microwave. I can't cook though. Clearly.

This made me LOL! Not all of us can be chefs. ;)

Thanks y'all for these ideas!!
  • vikinglander
    vikinglander Posts: 1,547 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I stop at a McDonald's near my office every morning and get two fresh eggs (160 cal) (I ask them to cook them fresh for me, which they gladly oblige) and two sausage patties (340 cal). This fits my 500 cal meal requirement, and keeps me full almost until lunchtime. The menu price is $4.52, and they give me a 10% "regular" discount, so I pay $4.06. I can hardly make this for less at home. 23 pounds in 5 months... No prisoners!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I stop at a McDonald's near my office every morning and get two fresh eggs (160 cal) (I ask them to cook them fresh for me, which they gladly oblige) and two sausage patties (340 cal). This fits my 500 cal meal requirement, and keeps me full almost until lunchtime. The menu price is $4.52, and they give me a 10% "regular" discount, so I pay $4.06. I can hardly make this for less at home. 23 pounds in 5 months... No prisoners!

Wow, where do you live that 2 eggs and 2 sausage patties would cost $4 to cook at home? That would cost about a dollar where I live.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Pizza
  • californiansun
    californiansun Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Pizza

Homemade or buy?
  • ZebraBoat
    ZebraBoat Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I like to throw some canned diced or stewed tomatoes, a bag of peppers and onions, a bag of okra, some chicken and lots of spices into the crock pot and serve it up over brown rice. It's delicious! I use frozen veggies for the convenience. The total cost ends up being around $6 for several meals.
  • psyjjlamb
    psyjjlamb Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I make it a goal so that all of my meals together total $5 or less. I shop the sales so tightly that I have a limit on how much I'll spend on something (I won't pay more than 69-cents for a green bell pepper bc they're 68-cents at Walmart).

Breakfast:
    200 Cal Quest Bar - $1.74 ($6.94 for 4)

Lunch:
    0 Cal Walden Farms Peanut Butter - $0.27 ($3.19 for 12 servings)
    0 Cal Walden Farms strawberry jelly - $0.27 ($3.19 for 12-servings)
    70-Cal Healthy Life bread 35-cap per slice - $0.20 ($2.00 per loaf)
    88-Cal Vegetable medley* marked down, ate the whole thing but was 2.5 servings in package - $0.49.

Snack:
    60-Cal Yogurt $0.40

Dinner:
    50-Cal Teryaki sauce - $0.21 ($2.49 for 12 servings)
    138-Cal 3-oz chicken breast - $0.37 ( $1.99/lb)
    50-Calorie broccoli/cauliflower blend* marked down to 49 cents - $0.12 (0.49 for 4 servings)
    24 Calorie 1/8 onion - $0.12 ($0.99/lb)
    120 Calorie tbsp olive oil $0.10 ($3.29 for 32 servings)
    1/4 c bell pepper -$0.06 (0.49 for 8 servings)

I wont mention my morning snack or my dessert because they weren't healthy but they were well within Caloricand Macro goals. Today I spent $4.84 on resources total. I drink a lot of water and occasionally use Mio, which is about $0.20 per squeeze.

• ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options
    Eggs any style.
    Yogurt.
    Dinner sausage links and potatoes.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Grilled boneless, skinless chicken thighs (super inexpensive) with a tomato, cucumber and feta salad on the side with olive oil, salt & pepper. The veggies are from my garden.
  • TheUwuest
    TheUwuest Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Scalloped potatoes (potatoes, a little milk, salt, pepper, any kind of cheese) scrambled eggs, and steamed frozen broccoli