Kidney Transplant

Options
Annamarie3404
Annamarie3404 Posts: 319 Member
edited July 2016 in Motivation and Support
Hi,

This is quasi diet related. I just recently had a kidney transplant (January), and wanted everyone to know how grateful I am to my donor family for their selfless act. I cannot imagine what they went through.

I also want to encourage everyone here to just read about and research signing your organ donor card. A LOT of people die each day waiting on a transplant list. I can tell you from personal experience that while dialysis saved my life, it was miserable. It's not painless, it drains energy, it vastly reduces your pool of friends and it encroaches on every aspect of a persons life.

That being said, a person who signs their donor card can save 8, count that 8 lives.

Alex, I hope this stays up long enough for at least 5 people to read this.

Thanks
Happy kidney recipient

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Why would it be deleted?
  • Annamarie3404
    Options
    Why would it be deleted?

Might be too political or off MFP topic.

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Why would it be deleted?

Really?
  • cuckoo_jenibeth
    cuckoo_jenibeth Posts: 1,434 Member
    Options
    I hope it is not deleted, but I wanted to wish you all the best!
    I am an organ donor and my son just got his driver's license and chose to be, as well. I was very proud!
  • Annamarie3404
    Options
    jenibethbu wrote: »
    I hope it is not deleted, but I wanted to wish you all the best!
    I am an organ donor and my son just got his driver's license and chose to be, as well. I was very proud!

@jenibethbu THANK YOU! You are indeed a life-saver <3
  • MrsMizzart
    MrsMizzart Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    We're all organ donors. I don't think I know of anyone who isn't. I'm selfish enough to hope that it's never put to the test, but if it is then we'll all help others as much as we can.

Very pleased that you're doing well lass.
  • dawnsjourney
    dawnsjourney Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Myverybestfriendintheworld is a donor recipient. She is alive because of someone else's selfless act. Thank you to all the donors. I am already signed up!
  • 2011rocket3touring
    2011rocket3touring Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    Registered donor for years.
  • Annamarie3404
    Options
    Louise1491 wrote: »
    So happy you got your transplant, how are you doing now?
    I've been a donor for years too.

I'm doing great! I feel fantastic, and I finally have the energy to go out and do something. I'm no longer tied to a machine :smile: I feel more alive.
  • HorrorGeekLiz
    HorrorGeekLiz Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    My uncle has a chronic disease that caused catastrophic liver failure one night. He is alive today because that same night, someone in a fatal car accident was an organ donor. Everyone in my family is a donor and knows full well to honour our wishes if the time comes to make that decision. I think it is important that everyone discusses this topic with their families. We all have to die one day, but if we can save a life at the same time, what greater way to go.
  • Lonestar5715
    Lonestar5715 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Glad you found a donor and I hope many people heed your request to become future donors. Best of luck with your new organ!
  • cuckoo_jenibeth
    cuckoo_jenibeth Posts: 1,434 Member
    Options
    Also, please consider being a blood and plasma donor!
  • Annamarie3404
    Options
    My uncle has a chronic disease that caused catastrophic liver failure one night. He is alive today because that same night, someone in a fatal car accident was an organ donor. Everyone in my family is a donor and knows full well to honour our wishes if the time comes to make that decision. I think it is important that everyone discusses this topic with their families. We all have to die one day, but if we can save a life at the same time, what greater way to go.

So happy your uncle got the transplant! <3 lifesavers!
  • sparklyglitterbomb
    sparklyglitterbomb Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Long time organ donor here. :) So glad you received your transplant!
  • Annamarie3404
    Options
    THANK YOU to all the life savers! <3 ya'll!!!!
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Why would it be deleted?

It's Nova overseeing things now..
    Alex isn't back here until probably Fall and nothing pretty ever gets removed from chit chat... so you're safe there.
  • nowolga
    nowolga Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I couldn't imagine not donating my organs. I think this is an important act.
  • Annamarie3404
    Options
    Why would it be deleted?

It's Nova overseeing things now..
    Alex isn't back here until probably Fall and nothing pretty ever gets removed from chit chat... so you're safe there.

Thank you, Nova!
  • Annamarie3404
    Options
    I wish I could "like" and "awesome" all of your comments.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Question for you: You are you, you have your strongly held views on issues. Does the possibility that your donor had strongly held opposite views on issues give you moments of thought?