Calorie Burn waaay off

Options
joehempel
joehempel Posts: 1,761 Member
I'm noticing that the calorie burn is waaaay off here.

Anyone else notice that? I'm seeing that I'm burning 500 calories during a 3 mile run....that's just NOT true!! You only burn, for me anyway, at 200lbs 130-140 calories a mile...unless you are running like a 6 minute mile!!

I just hope everyone finds a good way to figure out calorie burn because the calculators here are way off it seems.

Replies

• simplysara9
    simplysara9 Posts: 521
    Options
    I bought a heart rate monitor because of the calculations being off. The HRM is a lot more accurate than MFP.
  • sbrouillet
    sbrouillet Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Hi
    I have found them a bit off, but not too bad. I however are a bit anal, so I went and bought a HRM so my calories burned would be more accurate, so far so good. The one I got was about 100.00, but they do have less expensive ones.
  • audigal2008
    audigal2008 Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    I bought a Polar FT4 HRM , its pretty accurate :)
  • ejhayes
    ejhayes Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    The only way to know for sure is to get an HRM otherwise you are guessing!!
  • deadmittens
    deadmittens Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I've felt like they're WAY off for some things.

Sometimes it seems like they're under. When I power walk and jog intermittently, I sweat and get my heart rate up so much more. The area that I do it in has a lot of hills!

I should really invest in a heart rate monitor, but at the same time exercise is about rewarding your body with endorphins and health. Not punishing it for the things that you've eaten.
    :)
  • Chiqui74
    Chiqui74 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I'm noticing that the calorie burn is waaaay off here.

Anyone else notice that? I'm seeing that I'm burning 500 calories during a 3 mile run....that's just NOT true!! You only burn, for me anyway, at 200lbs 130-140 calories a mile...unless you are running like a 6 minute mile!!

I just hope everyone finds a good way to figure out calorie burn because the calculators here are way off it seems.

Did you post in RW?

Anyhow, when I started running I was much lighter than that (granted I'm short) and I was burning about 110-115 calories per mile. 130-140 for a 200 pound person who is starting out, assuming you are not too tall, doesn't seem so off. As you get lighter and run more, you will become more efficient and you will burn less calories per mile. I rarely burn over 80 calories per (running) mile these days.
  • Chiqui74
    Chiqui74 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I've felt like they're WAY off for some things.

Sometimes it seems like they're under. When I power walk and jog intermittently, I sweat and get my heart rate up so much more. The area that I do it in has a lot of hills!

I should really invest in a heart rate monitor, but at the same time exercise is about rewarding your body with endorphins and health. Not punishing it for the things that you've eaten.
    :)

Sweating is not directly proportional to effort nor calorie burn.
  • ryry18
    ryry18 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way