Coming from an ED - New to bulking

Options
Hello! I'm not new to the whole weight loss journey (Been on MFP for almost 2 years now), but due to my obsessive control with calorie counting and being afraid of weight gain, I've been diagnosed with an ED (AN restrictive subtype), along with OCD and depression because of weight and other certain things in life.

I used to be underweight at 95-98lbs (I'm 5'4). I stopped counting calories and started gaining weight last March or April, and I'm not sure what my weight is now exactly, but I can presume around 110-115? I'll ask my parents if I can get a scale.

My questions:

- We don't have any barbells in the gym, but I use the machine and dumbbells (Still using 10-15lbs) and progressing. Is it still possible to build muscle with just the use of machine/dumbbells/bodyweight exercises? What are good routines I can follow?

Right now, I aim to do an hour of lifting and 30 minutes of HIIT on the treadmill 4x a week, and swimming/Pilates/yoga for 30 minutes 2x a week. My activity level is... unbalanced. There are days when I'm on my feet, and days where I stay at home all day, going down for gym, to buy my food, or for groceries (I'm a freelance writer with an online business, so my work is at home. I'm also a part time tutor, so I do go out to our center, which is in the mall). I can say I'm between sedentary and lightly active since I do try to get in 10k steps a day.

- Is it possible to bulk without counting calories? I try to do so intuitively, though I still guesstimate some familiar food such as rice and other things (I can't not read some nutritional labels either). I'd rather go for intuitive eating where I eat 3 main meals and maybe a snack during the weekends, or the occasional "cheat" day where I go all out (Sometimes we go on buffets or I go on food trips with family and friends!). As much as possible, I'd rather not count calories, either forever, or when such time comes that I'm ready to take it on.

Thank you :)

Replies

• geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter if the resistance mode is machine or free-weight. What matters are the variable ranges you set for training frequency, volume and intensity.

Years ago I posted a comprehensive research review which examined the dose-result relationship between varying degrees of training frequency, volume and intensity and how much muscle cross sectional area was increased, daily. Here are the recommendations for concentric hypertrophy training.

Frequency: train each muscle group 2-3x per week.
    Volume: sets between 4-6 per muscle group; reps between 8-10 per set to failure or near (40-60 total reps per muscle group).
    Intensity: 75-80% of your 1 rep max.
    Rest: 60-180 seconds between sets.

Regarding counting/measuring calories during bulks, it would be wise considering there is a limit to how many extra calories can go towards increasing muscle as well as how much muscle increase can occur daily. Although limited hypertrophy studies exist on women, it's been observed that females can experience similar percentage increases in muscle mass as males; however, since women start with less lean mass, the total gain is less. With that being said, it's generally recommended that women assume a caloric surplus approximately 250 calories above maintenance for your first bulk while men are told to do 500.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Based on your history, have you discussed this with your treatment team?

• paradi3s
    paradi3s Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

I've already discussed it with my psychiatrist, as I don't have a treatment team. Checked with my doctor and a nutritionist, as well as my parents, and I'm good to go with exercise so long as I'm eating more (and healthier, since I have bad eating habits and 70% of my calories come from fat from pork or ice cream/caffeinated fraps) to gain fat and muscle. :)
  • paradi3s
    Options
    It doesn't matter if the resistance mode is machine or free-weight. What matters are the variable ranges you set for training frequency, volume and intensity.

Years ago I posted a comprehensive research review which examined the dose-result relationship between varying degrees of training frequency, volume and intensity and how much muscle cross sectional area was increased, daily. Here are the recommendations for concentric hypertrophy training.

Frequency: train each muscle group 2-3x per week.
    Volume: sets between 4-6 per muscle group; reps between 8-10 per set to failure or near (40-60 total reps per muscle group).
    Intensity: 75-80% of your 1 rep max.
    Rest: 60-180 seconds between sets.

Regarding counting/measuring calories during bulks, it would be wise considering there is a limit to how many extra calories can go towards increasing muscle as well as how much muscle increase can occur daily. Although limited hypertrophy studies exist on women, it's been observed that females can experience similar percentage increases in muscle mass as males; however, since women start with less lean mass, the total gain is less. With that being said, it's generally recommended that women assume a caloric surplus approximately 250 calories above maintenance for your first bulk while men are told to do 500.

Thank you very much! I'll try to look into my workout schedule, along with the sets/reps I do. I'm just worried about eating without counting calories, as I'm already eating "unfamiliar" food (unmeasured, usually from restaurants, or made by other people)
  • geekyjock76
    Options
    paradi3s wrote: »
    Thank you very much! I'll try to look into my workout schedule, along with the sets/reps I do. I'm just worried about eating without counting calories, as I'm already eating "unfamiliar" food (unmeasured, usually from restaurants, or made by other people)
    You are welcome. I used to be a personal trainer and don't mind helping others. If you have further questions, shoot me a pm and I'll help you out if I can.

Eating restaurant food or stuff made from other people can be iffy since you likely won't know exactly what you are consuming. I would try to make as much of your own food if possible so you limit the possibility of eating more than needed which would lead to excessive fat gain. Genetics plays a role in how many calories goes to muscle vs fat but the goal should always be to add the least amount of fat by monitoring how much you eat.

• KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    OP if you make your own food, start weighing, and start counting calories again, won't it set off your eating disorder that you have worked to hard to turn around?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

I've already discussed it with my psychiatrist, as I don't have a treatment team. Checked with my doctor and a nutritionist, as well as my parents, and I'm good to go with exercise so long as I'm eating more (and healthier, since I have bad eating habits and 70% of my calories come from fat from pork or ice cream/caffeinated fraps) to gain fat and muscle. :)

sounds good ...

and congrats on your recovery ...
  • paradi3s
    Options
    OP if you make your own food, start weighing, and start counting calories again, won't it set off your eating disorder that you have worked to hard to turn around?

Exactly why I am wondering if it's possible to cut/maintain/bulk without counting or measuring. :)
  • paradi3s
    Options
    You are welcome. I used to be a personal trainer and don't mind helping others. If you have further questions, shoot me a pm and I'll help you out if I can.

Eating restaurant food or stuff made from other people can be iffy since you likely won't know exactly what you are consuming. I would try to make as much of your own food if possible so you limit the possibility of eating more than needed which would lead to excessive fat gain. Genetics plays a role in how many calories goes to muscle vs fat but the goal should always be to add the least amount of fat by monitoring how much you eat.

Thank you! Am just a bit afraid of counting since it sets me off into another depressive cycle, if that makes sense.
  • MichelleLea122
    MichelleLea122 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Also coming from an ED, I never really counted calories when I bulked. I mean I did, but they were rough estimates at best. To be honest I just lifted heavy and enjoyed life. Was this the most optimal plan? No. But it was the best for my personal sanity I finally stopped worrying about calories and used that energy to focus on more important things in my life. I say just enjoy the process. Eat because it's enjoyable and work out because it's enjoyable. The moment I started to appreciate my body was the moment I started to appreciate what it could do. Eventually you might be ready to return back to counting (I did), but until you feel ready there's no pressure. If you're progressing at the gym, then just keep doing what you're doing.
  • paradi3s
    Options
    Also coming from an ED, I never really counted calories when I bulked. I mean I did, but they were rough estimates at best. To be honest I just lifted heavy and enjoyed life. Was this the most optimal plan? No. But it was the best for my personal sanity I finally stopped worrying about calories and used that energy to focus on more important things in my life. I say just enjoy the process. Eat because it's enjoyable and work out because it's enjoyable. The moment I started to appreciate my body was the moment I started to appreciate what it could do. Eventually you might be ready to return back to counting (I did), but until you feel ready there's no pressure. If you're progressing at the gym, then just keep doing what you're doing.

Thank you for this :):)
  • geekyjock76
    Options
    If you aren't exactly ready to count and measure, and are no longer afraid of weight gain, then by all means go by it intuitively and focus more on setting and meeting performance goals. Good luck and keep us up to date with new personal bests. ;)
  • paradi3s
    Options
    If you aren't exactly ready to count and measure, and are no longer afraid of weight gain, then by all means go by it intuitively and focus more on setting and meeting performance goals. Good luck and keep us up to date with new personal bests. ;)

Thank you so much! :):)