Vegetarian/Vegan Diet

Options
Yutaila
Yutaila Posts: 14 Member
Hello, fellow MFP users :D
I was not sure what part of the forum to make this topic, but I think its more a nutrition questions I have. So, here is the thing and a little pre-history. I have been using MFP for a year or something and lost a pretty good amount of weight on 1200 calories diet( 105->78) but now I moved to another country and let myself go a little, cuz it took me time to adjust to new food and where you can buy what. So I gained 2 kg now and I want to lose them and even more. The thing is that I was never a vegetarian, used to cook meat everyday and eat dairy everyday. But now in this new country I just mentioned that I eat much more vegetables and usually do not buy meat at all, cuz its pretty expensive and I can buy a lot of cheap ready-made fresh salads with no dressings and fruit-veggie market is just next door to my place, so eventually I started to think about switching to a vegetarian/vegan lifestyle, cuz except for some fish time-to time I do not lose much + I got really bored of my regular diet over a year and I really want to find something new and exciting in my everyday routine. So after watching tons of videos and reading a lot of articles about vegetarian/vegan/raw vegan etc lifestyles I kinda got into it, but have some questions that bother me. So, please, if there is someone experienced in nutrition and weight loss stuff, I would really appreciate an advice on following questions:
1) I saw/heard/red a lot about carbs impact on blood sugar and weight loss in general, so I wonder if I will consume more fiber and carbs through vegetarian/vegan diet but stick to my MFP calorie limit(1480ccal) per day, will it spoil my weight loss?
2) Do healthy fats from nuts, coconut, avocado etc spoil weight loss if they are not going over my calorie per day limit?
3)Is it true that you can get sick, weak, bloated and in general unhealthy on a vegan diet or you can avoid that? How to avoid that?

It seems pretty clear to me, how human organism works in general in case of deficit of some nutritional elements, but I wouldn't want to test it on my own body:cold_sweat: So, in general, if I stick to my calories per day restriction and eat a lot of greens, some nuts, healthy oils, and plant based protein, will it help to lose weight and become healthier in general?

Thank you, everyone, for replies in advance :D

Replies

• Yutaila
    Options
    Nothing besides eating at maintenance or above, can "spoil" weight loss. If you eat less than you burn, you will lose weight. You can eat anything you want to achieve this.

If you don't get enough of all the nutrients you need, you will suffer the consequences, varying from mild discomfort to diagnosable defiencies that need medical attention. This can happen regardless of diet style. The overall quality of your diet is far more important than what kind of diet you choose.

Thank you for reply.
    So, basically, if I stay under 1480 calories, that MFP recommends me for my weight loss, even if I eat only avocado all day long on those calories, I will still lose weight?(maybe also hair and teeth XD)
    Cuz previously on 1200 calories I tried to eat low fat, medium carb, high protein diet, but Im tired of it.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Yutaila wrote: »
    Nothing besides eating at maintenance or above, can "spoil" weight loss. If you eat less than you burn, you will lose weight. You can eat anything you want to achieve this.

If you don't get enough of all the nutrients you need, you will suffer the consequences, varying from mild discomfort to diagnosable defiencies that need medical attention. This can happen regardless of diet style. The overall quality of your diet is far more important than what kind of diet you choose.

Thank you for reply.
    So, basically, if I stay under 1480 calories, that MFP recommends me for my weight loss, even if I eat only avocado all day long on those calories, I will still lose weight?(maybe also hair and teeth XD)
    Cuz previously on 1200 calories I tried to eat low fat, medium carb, high protein diet, but Im tired of it.

Yes - balance is important - eat a little bit of everything you like, and that will most probably work well, because we usually like quite a few things that together can make up a healthy diet. Trying to eat in a way that doesn't really fit you, and/or eating too little, it works - in theory - but in practice, it will just make you want to quit. And if you quit, it certainly won't work.
  • Yutaila
    Options

Thank you for reply.

Yes - balance is important - eat a little bit of everything you like, and that will most probably work well, because we usually like quite a few things that together can make up a healthy diet. Trying to eat in a way that doesn't really fit you, and/or eating too little, it works - in theory - but in practice, it will just make you want to quit. And if you quit, it certainly won't work.

I agree. Thank you for sharing your opinion :D
  • Amandajs232
    Amandajs232 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I am vegetarian and can confirm it is the calorie deficit that counts. However I very much find that by having at least 25% (30 is better) of my calories from protein it fills me up better and for longer. I find high carb can leave me feeling dissatisfied. I tend to eat as much protein as I can and bulk out with low calorie salads and veg. Try having some protein every meal with at least 2 veggies with dinner. Also leaning more towards fruit than veg in gettin 5 a day helps with calorie management. This is what I learned having lost 100lb over 3 years (with ups and downs in between having veered off the above tips) Good luck.
  • bluebirdbiker
    bluebirdbiker Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi, I hope you are enjoying your new country. I have switched mainly to a vegetarian diet, as meat simply was not agreeing with my digestive system. Now I find I can eat some meat whenever I feel like it, without any problems.

I found the food combinations also make a difference, and I used the little app on this site to help me as I started. I watched this person transform themself, and that was my inspiration to trust the app and the recipes on the site, and not worry too much that I wasn't getting sufficient nutrients: robertkornacki.com/shop/

There are so many recipes and hints and videos as well....
  • Yutaila
    Options
    I am vegetarian and can confirm it is the calorie deficit that counts. However I very much find that by having at least 25% (30 is better) of my calories from protein it fills me up better and for longer. I find high carb can leave me feeling dissatisfied. I tend to eat as much protein as I can and bulk out with low calorie salads and veg. Try having some protein every meal with at least 2 veggies with dinner. Also leaning more towards fruit than veg in gettin 5 a day helps with calorie management. This is what I learned having lost 100lb over 3 years (with ups and downs in between having veered off the above tips) Good luck.

Thank you. What foods do you use as protein in every meal?
    Hi, I hope you are enjoying your new country. I have switched mainly to a vegetarian diet, as meat simply was not agreeing with my digestive system. Now I find I can eat some meat whenever I feel like it, without any problems.

I found the food combinations also make a difference, and I used the little app on this site to help me as I started. I watched this person transform themself, and that was my inspiration to trust the app and the recipes on the site, and not worry too much that I wasn't getting sufficient nutrients: robertkornacki.com/shop/

There are so many recipes and hints and videos as well....

Thank you. I will check the site ;)

• Amandajs232
    Amandajs232 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    My protein comes from eggs, fatfree yoghurt, puy lentils, mushrooms, soya and quorn. When trying to boost it more I will buy protein bars and whey,
  • Yutaila
    Options
    My protein comes from eggs, fatfree yoghurt, puy lentils, mushrooms, soya and quorn. When trying to boost it more I will buy protein bars and whey,

I see. Thank you.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    Carbs are not bad. Get carbs from good sources as you'll be fine. Chips are not a good source but fruit is.

Fat from nuts won't make you fat. Eating at a caloric surplus makes you fat. Just portion them.

You won't become weak and unhealthy on a well planned diet just like any diet. Balance is key. Don't focus too much on protein because you don't need more than 50-60grams a day. Focus on other nutrients.
  • Yutaila
    Options
    Carbs are not bad. Get carbs from good sources as you'll be fine. Chips are not a good source but fruit is.

Fat from nuts won't make you fat. Eating at a caloric surplus makes you fat. Just portion them.

You won't become weak and unhealthy on a well planned diet just like any diet. Balance is key. Don't focus too much on protein because you don't need more than 50-60grams a day. Focus on other nutrients.

Thank you.
    My only unhealthy problem is that my lips are constantly dry sometimes with no particular reason. Can adding more healthy "oily" foods like avocado, coconut, almond fix it? Cuz oily fishes do not help :(
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options

Thank you.
    My only unhealthy problem is that my lips are constantly dry sometimes with no particular reason. Can adding more healthy "oily" foods like avocado, coconut, almond fix it? Cuz oily fishes do not help :(

Is this seasonal? My lips dry up in winter, because of the dry air, but are fine in the summer - right now air humidity is 31% - in winter, it's often around 13%.
  • Yutaila
    Options

Thank you.

Is this seasonal? My lips dry up in winter, because of the dry air, but are fine in the summer - right now air humidity is 31% - in winter, it's often around 13%.

No, thats the point, they just got dry last summer, then were dry like 10 months, then normal again some time and dry again now. I thought its cuz of my diet, cuz I was on a diet since last summer.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options

Thank you.

No...just use lip balm. You can just use Lipbalm. Use one without beeswax. Beeswax can be drying

• yertle
    yertle Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Try drinking a ton of water for several days, and see if that helps your lips. Eating fat or oils won't make your lips more hydrated, but water will.
  • Yutaila
    Options

Thank you.

No...just use lip balm. You can just use Lipbalm. Use one without beeswax. Beeswax can be drying

Thanks, but I used a lot of lip balms last year, even healing creams, but nothing helped :(
    yertle wrote: »
    Try drinking a ton of water for several days, and see if that helps your lips. Eating fat or oils won't make your lips more hydrated, but water will.

I do drink littles of cold bottles green tea all day long, but, maybe I shout try with clean water. Thank you.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options

Thank you.

Check the fat in your diary. If you are getting enough, something thing else is causing it.
    I try to get 48 grams of fat and oils a day.
  • Yutaila
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »

Thank you.

Check the fat in your diary. If you are getting enough, something thing else is causing it.
    I try to get 48 grams of fat and oils a day.

I will, thank you)
  • Andyjo72
    Andyjo72 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    On a pure vegan diet if you do not plan out your meals well you can run into issues with getting all the essential amino acids. Very few vegetables/grains/etc carry a complete protein profile, soy is an exception. With planing this a not an issues because a mix will give you all the essential amino acids you need (ex. brown rice and red beans). Raw vegan have a harder time because more restricted diet. B vitamins can sometimes be an issue. Vegetarians who include milk (diary) and eggs get the amino there. (Remember McDonald's fries and a super soda can be considered vegan so I will not say heathy default).

As for weight loss, calorie in and calorie out is always the starting point. Past that as long as your getting the requirements such as essential amino acids, the RDA of protein (.38g/kg body weight I think), health fats, vitamins and minerals, you are good to go. The rest is based on who you are and what you need to be health. Just my view and experience (five day a week veg).
  • Yutaila
    Options
    Andyjo72 wrote: »
    On a pure vegan diet if you do not plan out your meals well you can run into issues with getting all the essential amino acids. Very few vegetables/grains/etc carry a complete protein profile, soy is an exception. With planing this a not an issues because a mix will give you all the essential amino acids you need (ex. brown rice and red beans). Raw vegan have a harder time because more restricted diet. B vitamins can sometimes be an issue. Vegetarians who include milk (diary) and eggs get the amino there. (Remember McDonald's fries and a super soda can be considered vegan so I will not say heathy default).

As for weight loss, calorie in and calorie out is always the starting point. Past that as long as your getting the requirements such as essential amino acids, the RDA of protein (.38g/kg body weight I think), health fats, vitamins and minerals, you are good to go. The rest is based on who you are and what you need to be health. Just my view and experience (five day a week veg).

Thank you. I thought of it too, so I went today to a far away store and bought a bunch of canned beans and Chia seeds to add to my meals. Cuz I only have tofu available at any shop being plant-based source of some protein. The lack of protein can be my biggest problem, I see that with all the planning now. But its not scary, I just need to adjust and investigate the market)