Binged twice in a week 5000 cal. All my exercise down the drain

Options
Binged so badly today I'm just so depressed

Replies

• Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    Options
    Let it go... move forward, you can't change what's already done. Just keep on pluggin' away and do your best to stay on track from this point on, remember - nobody is perfect!
  • JaneSnowe
    JaneSnowe Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Hi Rachel! I'm sorry to hear you're still struggling. Are you receiving professional help yet? <3
  • Racheldasilva174
    Racheldasilva174 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    JaneSnowe wrote: »
    Hi Rachel! I'm sorry to hear you're still struggling. Are you receiving professional help yet? <3

Yes, but it's difficult to stop once I start binging. I also worked hard to lose the weight I gained binging previously
  • JaneSnowe
    JaneSnowe Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    JaneSnowe wrote: »

Yes, but it's difficult to stop once I start binging. I also worked hard to lose the weight I gained binging previously

I'm glad you have someone IRL on your side. :blush:

I don't have any advice for you; just hang in there and don't beat yourself up!
  • mallorymotal
    mallorymotal Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I personally have dealt with this for years (6 years I had BED and felt out of control, did it every 3-5 days and ate anywhere from 4000-8000 extra each binge)

Since last March I haven't had another "binge". I do occasionally overeat and it is still a struggle to stop obsessing over food in general but I read this book called "Brain Over Binge" after the usual exasperated after-binge feelings and my brain just clicked back into place and in an instant I was done with the thing that took over my life for 6 years.

You really can stop binging...like now. You never have to do it again so don't be afraid of the urges that come, take a step back and just don't binge basically. It sounds silly, but it truly is that simple.

Go find a copy online now, It was a life changer for me.
  • faidwen
    faidwen Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Never, ever, ever, ever beat yourself up over something you have done when it comes to food.

!!! YOU CAN ALWAYS START OVER TOMORROW !!!

Learn to not obsess over the mistakes you / we make. You can always start fresh the next day, and just make one small adjustment at a time to correct it. You don't have to do it ALL at once.

Baby steps.

YOU CAN DO IT!!!
  • killdontmurder
    killdontmurder Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Look at the bright side. You're on the right track because you're doing something about your weight. I remember I used to just binge and not feel bad, but now it's different, isn't it? You feel guilty and you should be thankful for that. Like @faidwen said, Don't beat yourself up!
  • Ultima_Morpha
    Ultima_Morpha Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    Look at it the exercise this week as contributing to your fitness...it still did that!
  • Shadowmf023
    Shadowmf023 Posts: 812 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I don't think your exercise went down the drain. You got fitter even if you don't lose weight. I also binged and wiped it all out, but at least I know I built some strength this week. :) Don't feel alone.
  • Mersie1
    Mersie1 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I agree, brain over binge is worth the read. For me, the binges didn't stop until the restricting stopped first. It wasn't just restricting calorically, but even w types of food. I would eat well calorically- really eat, but I was so focused on eating "healthy" quality food. Ice cream, chocolate, maybe cheese, etc... I would very very closely monitor. It was that intensity, that would trigger the binge for me bec more than any type of food, I was looking to be "relaxed" around food and in a binge, it was a pretend moment of whatever I eat now doesn't matter- since I blew it already. Yea, calories matter. Obviously a weight loss/health app is going to have a big focus be how to monitor intake, but for me, with my history of ED- I needed to use the app in a diff way. I shifted my focus from what every last morsel I was eating and how things were going day to day to looking at the longer bigger picture. And little by little I relaxed around food- forced myself to not care if I had extra bites or amounts of ... And then the bingeing stopped.

You can do this!!!! I wish you all the best!
  • bluebirdbiker
    bluebirdbiker Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Dont think of it as a failure, think of it as giving your metabolism a revv up. You are fitter from your exercise and it is going to be easier to work it back off!

Learn from what set you off, and have a game plan in mind for what to do when you feel that way again .. like binging on fibre food with lots of water :) I've found the important thing is to not feel like you are depriving yourself. Maybe drink a fibre supplement drink, and then allow yourself to eat one of whatever it is you are craving.
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I don't have BED, but an acquaintance who has it told me that her Aha! moment came when she realized she didn't have to wait until tomorrow to start over. She calls them "Small Restarts" and has some tricks like saying "STOP!" out loud and then getting up and putting food in the garbage disposal or whatever. (I have actually done that a time or two and it is quite empowering). Then she eats a small portion of protein (meat, boiled egg, protein shake, whatever). She uses this a signal that she is back on track. It has helped her successfully reach several goals and to feel better about her eating behavior. It has definitely boosted her self-esteem. I have used that last part, drinking a protein shake, when I am craving certain foods but am not actually physically hungry. It does help.

The one thing that helps me when I am feeling obsessed by thoughts of a particular food is to say to myself, "There will always be more potato chips, or donuts, or submarine sandwiches, or pizza. The world isn't going to run out of those foods. I can always have some another time. For now, I choose not to have that food because it isn't in my plan for today. I can plan to have it any time I want to." That seems to help me quite a bit, so I relax a little and can let go of it, knowing I can have it anytime as part of my planned intake.