Diabetic friendly meal suggestions

Options
Hello. Been told by my doctor that I am considered "pre diabetic". The thought of becoming diabetic scares me. Does anyone have suggestions for meals/snacks relatively inexpensive but containing little/no sugar? Thanks in advance :)

Replies

• Glitterinmyveins33
    Glitterinmyveins33 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Forgot to mention that I am a night owl and nights are the worst for me as far as eating. Also, I just lost my brother in April and have been battling depression and "eating my feelings" so to speak.
  • tryett
    tryett Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Did the doctor mention seeing a registered dietician? If you are looking for low sugar I would search for low carb. I am eating low carb but not Keto level low carb.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your brother. <3
    Good group for people not eating much sugar:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
  • jenniday1229
    jenniday1229 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    So sorry about your brother. I lost my sister last August and know how hard it is. Be kind to yourself and make small changes weekly instead of immediately cutting out all familiar foods. Pick a favorite high carb snack and replace it with similar low carb snack. Sometimes writing down a weekly replacement plan can be helpful for making incremental changes. And seeing a dietician would be a great start too.

I'm not a sweets person, my carbs issues are from sandwiches and snacking on bread crackers mostly. I really have to plan ahead to not default to eating a sandwich for lunch and I make sure I have carrots and cucumbers to snack on with hummus or Greek yogurt dip. And no French fries for me.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Sorry for your loss.

Try the book, Dr Bernstein's Diabetes Solution. It is a LCHF diet plan with a focus on reducing carbs / blood glucose and insulin needs. Great book! I wa sprediabetic too and it really helped me.

Good luck.
  • Glitterinmyveins33
    Glitterinmyveins33 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I'm trying to make small changes. I usually do pretty good during the day. Evenings are the worst.
    I've heard that eating chia seeds helps with regulating blood sugar. Anyone know if it is true?
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I find I need to avoid all carbs and large snacks in the evening. For some reason my morning blood glucose is high if I eat late or late carbs.

Often a bit of protein is advised. It's slower to digest and may help with keeping BG and FBG lower. Cheese is often suggested. Chia might work. Try it and then test using your blood glucose monitor to see how it does. Good luck.