Good diet for swimming?

Options
MidnightBecky
MidnightBecky Posts: 6 Member
edited July 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
Hey, I've just started my diet & exercise and I current weigh 76kg (168lbs) and I'm 5ft2. I'm looking to lose about 30lbs (hopefully by October but there's no rush). I swim 6x a week for an hour to an hour and a half, burning between 800 and 1000 calories per session. I have no idea what diet I should be on! Should I drink protein shakes, take vitamins etc? And just generally eating I don't really know what to avoid apart from the obvious junk foods. Any advice on a good diet would be appreciated :) Also does limiting my food intake to 1,200 sound right?

Replies

• dlkfox
    dlkfox Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    At 5'2", 1200 calories sounds right as a goal before exercise and then you can eat back 50% of your exercise calories.

As for food, calorie counting makes it so easy -- nobody is going to tell you no or that you have to. You can eat what you want, when you want -- as long as it fits your calorie and nutritional goals.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    That's a pretty extreme amount of swimming. I say this as someone who swims 3 or 4 miles/week. :)

Why not alternate swimming with some weight-bearing exercise? By only swimming, you are missing out on some the benefits of regular exercise--most importantly, developing good bone density. Another problem with swimming is that calorie counters like this one are VERY inaccurate in estimating swim calories--they only use time in the water, not speed. In addition, things like FitBit do not work for swimmers. We really have no dependable way to estimate burns. I can swim a mile in half an hour--I get the same number of calories estimated as someone who loafs around and swims a quarter of a mile in the same amount of time.

Certainly do not eat back all of the calories that you swim off.

There is no particular diet necessary for swimming.
  • MidnightBecky
    edited July 2016
    Options
    That's a pretty extreme amount of swimming. I say this as someone who swims 3 or 4 miles/week. :)

Why not alternate swimming with some weight-bearing exercise? By only swimming, you are missing out on some the benefits of regular exercise--most importantly, developing good bone density. Another problem with swimming is that calorie counters like this one are VERY inaccurate in estimating swim calories--they only use time in the water, not speed. In addition, things like FitBit do not work for swimmers. We really have no dependable way to estimate burns. I can swim a mile in half an hour--I get the same number of calories estimated as someone who loafs around and swims a quarter of a mile in the same amount of time.

Certainly do not eat back all of the calories that you swim off.

There is no particular diet necessary for swimming.

Yeah I see what you mean, currently I'm swimming approx 6 miles a week and tbh I'm feeling really run down, I've maintained this for 2 weeks now but I don't think I can sustain it in the long run.

So now, with your advice, I'm thinking of doing 4 days of swimming then 1 to 2 days of weight-bearing exercise, would going up & down the stairs for 20 minutes do? I do have a step machine, but it only cost £5 and is a bit rubbish tbh :smile:
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,403 Member
    Options
    Eat what you like but in moderation, and weigh everything on a digital scale.

One thing: your calorie burn from swimming does sound a bit high. I'd rather think it's more like half of that. May I ask what kind of style to swim and how fast? Distance and water resistance seem to influence the calorie burn for swimming most, thus if you swim slowly you'll burn quite a lot less calories than when I swim fast - and MFP and most other websites doesn't have an indicator of swimming speed in it's calorie estimates.
  • KorvapuustiPossu
    KorvapuustiPossu Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    You really should not set such extreme goals as 30 lbs in 3 months at your weight. You should not be aiming to lose more that 1 lbs a week. 1200 kcal is really low for someone with your level of activity and it is not sustainable. I did 1200 kcal diet BUT I'm mostly a couch potato that does only some walking for exercise. I'm 5'2 (and 1/4!) , started at 150 lbs in January and currently at 127 lbs (goal at about 120-125). I averaged about 1 lbs loss and that is what is advised at this size...now I slowed down to 0.5 lbs a month to preserve as much muscle mass as possible. Exercise is great but weight loss is achieved with calorie deficit - so your eating is the most important part. If you are feeling run down it is no wonder. Go with something you could do every day for the rest of your life...that's the key to success. Of course exercise is great and you should do it..but not to the point where it's making you feel bad instead of good. Start smaller and build up if that is your goal. Good luck!
  • MidnightBecky
    Options
    yirara wrote: »

One thing: your calorie burn from swimming does sound a bit high. I'd rather think it's more like half of that. May I ask what kind of style to swim and how fast? Distance and water resistance seem to influence the calorie burn for swimming most, thus if you swim slowly you'll burn quite a lot less calories than when I swim fast - and MFP and most other websites doesn't have an indicator of swimming speed in it's calorie estimates.

I usually do 40 minutes of front crawl, 30 sec break after 3 lengths (33m each). Then 30 minutes of breast stroke then 20 minutes of mixing it up, so front, back and breast. I have no idea on the speed, I just swim as fast as I can, when I go today I'll try and time myself providing the clock there is working.
  • MidnightBecky
    Options
    You really should not set such extreme goals as 30 lbs in 3 months at your weight. You should not be aiming to lose more that 1 lbs a week. 1200 kcal is really low for someone with your level of activity and it is not sustainable. I did 1200 kcal diet BUT I'm mostly a couch potato that does only some walking for exercise. I'm 5'2 (and 1/4!) , started at 150 lbs in January and currently at 127 lbs (goal at about 120-125). I averaged about 1 lbs loss and that is what is advised at this size...now I slowed down to 0.5 lbs a month to preserve as much muscle mass as possible. Exercise is great but weight loss is achieved with calorie deficit - so your eating is the most important part. If you are feeling run down it is no wonder. Go with something you could do every day for the rest of your life...that's the key to success. Of course exercise is great and you should do it..but not to the point where it's making you feel bad instead of good. Start smaller and build up if that is your goal. Good luck!

Well I'm aiming for 2lb a week and that doesn't seem extreme? and I'm upping the calorie intake to 1500.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options

Well I'm aiming for 2lb a week and that doesn't seem extreme? and I'm upping the calorie intake to 1500.

Consider doing the 1 pound per week and not 2. This 2 pounds a week is pretty aggressive. IF you do up the cals to 1500 does this take you back to 1 pound a week, if so then do this as you stated above.

Eat back 1/2 the swim calories that you burn along with your 1500 calories to eat per MFP..
  • janetennet
    janetennet Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Good on you for having goals, while they may seem a little unsustainable - that's a lot of swimming and exercise and very little calories! - it's so important to have goals.
    Can I be the first to say, make sure you take enough rest days these are SO important for recovery and actually create better training methods.

As for your diet, I found high protein snacks benefited me when I was swimming (roughly a mile a day 3-4 times a week). I also found that I was hungrier after swimming then pretty much any other form of exercise(!) and asked a dietician about this and she confirms that because of the energy expenditure of all your muscles during training you do end up hungrier and 'tireder'
    Basically try eating what you want, and what fits in with your calories, know that better choices will fill you up better and then once you've got your schedule set and the habit formed see how you can change it to benefit from the training.
  • MidnightBecky
    Options
    janetennet wrote: »
    Good on you for having goals, while they may seem a little unsustainable - that's a lot of swimming and exercise and very little calories! - it's so important to have goals.
    Can I be the first to say, make sure you take enough rest days these are SO important for recovery and actually create better training methods.

As for your diet, I found high protein snacks benefited me when I was swimming (roughly a mile a day 3-4 times a week). I also found that I was hungrier after swimming then pretty much any other form of exercise(!) and asked a dietician about this and she confirms that because of the energy expenditure of all your muscles during training you do end up hungrier and 'tireder'
    Basically try eating what you want, and what fits in with your calories, know that better choices will fill you up better and then once you've got your schedule set and the habit formed see how you can change it to benefit from the training.

Yeah, first 2 weeks were hell! I was sleeping a lot more and feeling super hungry and a bit faint at first! I'm pretty much testing out things at the moment, going to try eating oats or toast for breakfast, then sardines an hour before swimming (they have like 22g protein per small tin), a protein shake after swimming, a small portion of pasta with vegetables when I get home, then for dinner some sort of meat with vegetables, for snacks its either a few nuts or fruit. Keeping in mind I'll strict all this to 1200-1500 calories. Will also start taking supplements, I think I'm vitamin D deficit since I rarely go outside, other than cycling to the swimming pool/to a friends house.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Finding what works can take some trial and error, but when I was swimming that much, I was able to lose about 2lb/week eating 1700 cal/day. You need to fuel your workouts, which explains the exhaustion.

ETA: The 2lb/week is appropriate when you have much more to lose.
  • KorvapuustiPossu
    KorvapuustiPossu Posts: 434 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options

2 lbs a week is too much for someone your weight. Losing weight that fast will mean losing not only fat but muscle tissue as well. 2 lbs is reserved for people with 50-75+ lbs to lose...And when getting to the last 10-15 lbs it's advised to go for 0.5 lbs. It takes time and patience. But it is much easier on your body (physical and mental health). Creating daily deficit of 1000 kcal (2 lbs loss/week) get more and more difficult the smaller you get. Your TDEE will get lower and you would have to exercise like a mad person and starve yourself to achieve it...why take that road? I lost 23 lbs since I started...average 1 lbs/week with absolutely no issues. No pain no suffering. I personally found it easy... didn't change what I eat, just implemented a bit more portion control. I feel great, my BMI is down to 23 now and I feel like I have complete control over my weight. That's what taking more time gives you...it changes your core habits and makes you successful in a long run. 3 months of starving and crazy exercise MIGHT get you to your goal...but if you don't keep it up forever ...and go to you 'normal' everyday life..weight is coming back and plus some.
  • Eviedawson
    Eviedawson Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Foods that are rich in carbohydrates protein. Avoid eating fatty food.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Eviedawson wrote: »

Please ignore this.
  • MidnightBecky
    Options
    yirara wrote: »

Timed myself, on front crawl it took me 35 minutes to swim a mile. I really think my technique is wrong, need to practice it a lot.
  • CaptainJoy
    CaptainJoy Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Do not worry about eating the calories you burn from swimming. As an example, if you set MFP to lose 1.5-2 pounds/week and start the day with 1400-1500 calories, you can eat 1900-2000 calories (if you weigh your food and log meticulously) and still lose 2 or more pounds/week. Most people find it hard to believe that swimming burns so many calories but it is true. I've swam 5 out of 7 days this week, eaten back ALL my exercise calories (500-900/swim), and lost 1.4 pounds. I do not take breaks, though. I keep going for either 30, 45, or 60 minutes depending on how I feel. Your proposed diet sounds awesome. You should have no problem losing 30 by October if you keep your goals and do not get too exhausted.
  • ConicalFern
    ConicalFern Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I always eat an apple or banana as soon as I get out of the pool (whilst I'm getting changed). I find that stops me feeling too run down for the rest of the day.
  • ConicalFern
    ConicalFern Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Eviedawson wrote: »

Please ignore this.

What are the benefits of fat? Carbohydrates give you energy that can be burnt during swimming, proteins aid recovery, what benefits do fats bring?
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Fats provide sustained energy and provide all the fat soluble vitamins.