Top ten

Options
I don't know if this belongs in this forum, but I figured I'd lost my ten favorite foods. I'm not putting them in order because sometimes it changes so anyways...chocolate chip and pumpkin muffins, crab cheese rangoons, chicken enchiladas, elephant ears (I literally only have one a year), rice, Olive Garden breadsticks, guacamole, mocha (does that count as food? Ehh), chicken wraps, thanksgiving stuffing. So what are your favorite foods? Seeing it on a list really makes me realize that my favorite foods aren't very healthy.

Replies

• snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I don't know if this belongs in this forum, but I figured I'd lost my ten favorite foods. I'm not putting them in order because sometimes it changes so anyways...chocolate chip and pumpkin muffins, crab cheese rangoons, chicken enchiladas, elephant ears (I literally only have one a year), rice, Olive Garden breadsticks, guacamole, mocha (does that count as food? Ehh), chicken wraps, thanksgiving stuffing. So what are your favorite foods? Seeing it on a list really makes me realize that my favorite foods aren't very healthy.

There's nothing inherently 'unhealthy' about the foods you listed. Are they high in calories? Most likely. ;)

Having said that, you absolutely *can* incorporate the foods you love into a healthy weight loss program. You just have to plan for them by cutting down elsewhere that day.

For some people their favourite foods trigger them to binge on them. For those folks, cutting them out of their diet entirely (at least for a while) may be the only option.

However, many people find that forbidding themselves foods they love only tends to make them more desireable. If you're one of the latter, planning your meals in any given day to be able to include your favs now and then may work better for you in the long term.

I include treats in my daily allotment, be it chocolate or fries or any other food that I love. FOR ME deprivation wasn't a sustainable option, so I'd rather work those things into my overall daily plan. Doesn't for a second mean that I eat high calorie 'junk' food all day, but just less of it and less often. My diet is healthy, well-balanced and geared towards not excluding foods that I love.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    There may have been a time when fresh bread, pizza, ice cream, french fries, and mountain dew would have been on the list, but after years of being obese, fighting bulimia and the guilt associated with all of it, I really would say that I no longer would call those foods my favorites. There's a wonderful feeling I get when I stuff my craw with a plate of sashimi and feel zero guilt afterwards and don't crave more later or suffer bloating or discomfort or a desire to purge. I've become much more of a gastronome and really RELISH in the foods I eat and feel so very decadent when I make up a cheese board of the fanciest cheeses and cured meats and olives I can afford. I get much more pleasure out of that than any pizza I've ever eaten.
  • RandiNoelle
    RandiNoelle Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    @EmilyHughes801 What are elephant ears?
  • snickerscharlie
    Options

It's a yummy deep fried pastry dough sprinkled with powdered sugar. :)
  • RandiNoelle
    RandiNoelle Posts: 374 Member
    Options

YUM!!

My top 10:
    Big bowl of pasta with lots of cheese!
    Broccoli and roasted pork with fried rice
    Cheesecake
    Peanut butter
    Fajita taco salad
    Peanut butter cups
    Caramel iced coffee
    Meat loaf and mashed potatoes
    Biscuits and gravy
    BREAD!!!
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    What do you mean by "lost my ten favorite foods"? Are they or are they not your favorites anymore?
  • CincyNeid
    CincyNeid Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    1. Piada Italian Street Food
    2. FUSIAN Sushi, Crab & Shrimp, Green Onion, Cucumber, Carrots & Cream Cheese
    3. Fritos
    4. Pulled Pork Sandwiches
    5. Bavarian Pretzels w/ beir cheese
    6. Carnitas Street Tacos
    7. The Hammstein Burger from Tickle Pickle. It's a local joint.
    8. Grilled Chicken Sandwich with Grilled Onion, Grilled Mushrooms and BBQ Sauce
    9. Johnsonville Beerbrats
    10. Anything from White Castle

Yes I know it's not the healthiest list on the known planet... But being MFP is a NEAT program as long as I'm willing to work off the calories I eat. Then I'm okay with it.
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options

Here we call them beavertails. :)
  • CincyNeid
    CincyNeid Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options

We just call the Funnel Cakes.
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    CincyNeid wrote: »

We just call the Funnel Cakes.

Our funnel cakes are more like a bird's nest.
  • snickerscharlie
    Options

Fellow Canuck, I see!
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    1. Tomatoes
    2. Sorrel soup, or maybe barley soup, borscht? Can I just lump many kinds of soup into this one place?
    3. Roasted nuts, all kinds, salted. If smoked, even better.
    4. A mousse cake mom makes that I keep asking for on my birthdays. I swear this woman has some extraterrestrial cooking powers.
    5. Potatoes, in any shape or form
    6. Olive oil. Okay this looks sad on its own so I'll add roasted buckwheat (kasha)
    7. Watermelon, all kinds of fruits actually
    8. Tula gingerbread
    9. Moussaka
    10. Thin crepes with all kinds of sweet or savory fillings

Can I have an 11? Please? No?

10 part 2. Semolina porridge

I eat every single one of my top 10 while dieting. Sad I had to cut drastically on the nuts, but at least they are not totally out.
  • ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Funnel cakes have powdered sugar, elephant ears usually have cinnamon sugar and are usually crunchier in parts than a funnel cake. I prefer elephant ears to funnel cakes but, I hate powdered sugar.