I'm skinny-fat

Options
jennamarieher
jennamarieher Posts: 3 Member
edited July 2016 in Introduce Yourself
kflhxicz5xrk.jpeg
xw99bj7e1k8j.jpeg
ebia7s12iaxy.jpeg
Hi! I've always been thought of as "skinny". I've creeped up to 138 lately and I've decided big changes are necessary in my diet and exercise. I can't even run down the block without getting out of breath and I can't lift more than 10 lb weights. I've never worked out in my life really besides being in dance for a few years when I was young. I intend to change this so I can lose the extra fat and replace it with healthy muscle! Any other women in this boat with me? I feel like a wimp when I step into the gym so currently relying on home workouts. Any help/encouragement/thoughts appreciated. Here is my starting photos! Will be updating and keeping up with this app and keeping diary open and updated. Anyone free to add me! :)

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I don't think you look skinny fat at all, you look entirely normal or average size. If you want to become more lean then a small calorie deficit and some strength/resistance training will do the job. You don't have to go to the gym if you don't want.
  • Trish1c
    Trish1c Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I completely understand. I joined a gym called Planet Fitness because I found it to be populated by real people not gym rats. It really is a judgment free zone & it's cheap . . . $10 per month! I've been out of the gym for a while now but intend to renew later today. Last time I toned my arms & legs but still haven't figured out the secret to dealing my problem areas, especially my stomach. Maybe we can overcome our intimidation together. I'd also love to learn more about what you're doing at home for exercise.
  • jalynwatson21
    jalynwatson21 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I understand. I used to be in same stuck position. However, you look completely average. Kudos to you for wanting to be strong and increase fitness levels.

What changed my figure to be lean, muscular, yet curvy, is strategic weightlifting. It is important to work all body parts equally, but you can put emphasis on the glutes and upper back/shoulders to build a more curvy figure. Also you could lose some weight if you wanted to. I highly recommend cycling for easy cardio. The app MapMyFitness is great for tracking progress made with walking, running. and cycling.
  • Tracieisfitastic
    Tracieisfitastic Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Same here. I guess I would consider myself skinny fat since most people tell me I am skinny. I'm hoping to lose a few pounds and tone up before my wedding.
  • Annahbananas
    Annahbananas Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    You don't look skinny fat at all (I find that term interesting)

If anything, you just need to tone. To say you're fat is far reaching
  • MarkusDarwath
    MarkusDarwath Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I'm not a professional, just a regular guy, but from where I'm sitting you look great! But I can definitely understand distress at a loss of stamina and desire to be more toned. I personally would not suggest for you to cut any calories from your diet. Keep your calories at your present level, maybe increase your proportion of protein (I don't know your current percentages) and take up a mix of strength and cardio exercise. The exercise will take care of any calorie deficit you "need" to burn fat. Don't sweat it if you can't lift a lot. Start with body-weight moves. Might I suggest squats right off the bat. You definitely want to maintain the shape to your butt. Do go for cardio to up the stamina; running, zumba classes, whatever. Strength training alone will build muscle, burn fat and get you toned up, but it won't do much with regard to getting winded easily. You have to work specifically toward building that oxygen capacity.
  • AndyJBacon
    AndyJBacon Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Huh. I looked at your pics and first thought was "dang, she's hot." ha....

But no exercise is not a good lifestyle, so it probably is time to hit the gym. Just remember weight is a bulls**t number that doesn't mean anything. You could lose fat and gain muscle, and be the same weight, but WAY healthier. Don't do this for a number, do it for your health, and the way you feel.

Also, take it slow. Going to the gym after not going for ~10 years (my experience), it hurt. Muscle soreness can make people quit, so take it easy. I had to start at 12 minutes of cardio, and work up from there. Lift weights too, and I agree with the squats suggestion above. You will not get bulky when you lift, unless you take supplements and/or a bodybuilder diet, so don't worry about that. The benefits of weights are massive though. Also, work your core, as that is useful in everyday life, and can help prevent injuries.

Biggest things for me (lose 52 lbs in 5 months) were logging everything, every day, and using a fitness tracker to increase movement. Add people to your mfp friends list, as encouragement and accountability are great. Read the blogs, workout tips, & recipes. Good luck with it, and post after pics when you're done with your transformation. :)
  • cowarhoss7
    cowarhoss7 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I don't know a lot about exercise but what I do know is losing weight and such fat and gaining muscle takes time. Starting with body weight movements and add weights later. But don't expect a change overnight. I personally struggle with this and found that joining a Crossfit gym worked a lot better for me than just going to golds gym. They instruct you on movements for lifting and are constantly watching and teaching you. It's what I like and it helped me but become stronger and lose some fat. Well whatever you do just keep your head up and keep moving.
  • sonia9240
    sonia9240 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    You have a nice body girl not a lesbian
  • sonia9240
    sonia9240 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    You not fat at all girl
  • richardpkennedy1
    richardpkennedy1 Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    You look great. How tall?