Exercise Good but not for Weight Loss

Options
Researchers Discover That Exercise Isn’t the Most Efficient Method for the Body to Burn Calories

https://t.co/dlnz5vyr63

Replies

• catstratch
    catstratch Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    catstratch wrote: »
    Anybody who counts calories would know that. Burns 200 kcal on a 30' jog, that is barely my snack.
    But it gets me out of the house, makes me happy so I don't emotional eat. And it makes me feel healthy so I'm less likely to go drinking, or eat unhealthy.

Yup, when I get the happy hormones from exercise, I'm not prone to seeking them from food.

Lots of reason to exercise.

Now when I'm bored or stressed, I go out for a walk/run outside. All the fun and no guilt afterwards!
    Also, I think exercise reduces my appetite, not increase it like they said in the video.
  • godlikepoetyes
    godlikepoetyes Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Well, I get REALLY hungry when I move a lot, but I get to eat more, so win win.
  • Dofflin
    Dofflin Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Personally, (as a workout-a-holic) I lose more weight when I take a rest week. My appetite is WAYYY easier to control. But ifl working out so....
  • mefatpat2
    mefatpat2 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hmmm. I find that exercise really helps me lose weight especially if I am very conscious of WHAT I eat following exercise. But then my thyroid function is low. Don't know if the meds actually help with that but I know that it means I should eat fewer calories per day. Trying to keep calories around 1100 per day and REALLY watching sodium intake. Seems to be helping alot.
  • LisaKay91
    LisaKay91 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Exercise kills my appetite. I don't think I would be losing 2-3lbs per week if I stopped going to the gym 3 days per week... but it isn't what I rely on to lose the weight. The deficit in my food is.
  • CatherineLaurel
    CatherineLaurel Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I like this post
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Diet is the most important thing to weight management.
  • snerggly
    snerggly Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I am living proof that you can be fit and fat. I exercise all the time with no results. I am actually burned out on it and dread it sadly. Anyhow, it's great stress relief which matters.
  • ernestrodgers82
    ernestrodgers82 Posts: 204 Member
    Options

Now that's what I thought until reading this article. You DON'T get to eat back your calories. You really have to stay within your daily calorie limit regardless of exercise in order to not gain weight instead of losing it. I suppose if you're ultra careful with measuring your food but I'm not that disciplined on portion sizes. It's like @catstratch said in their post.
  • ernestrodgers82
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Exercise makes me feel great. That's why I do it. And I do love eating the extra calories.

The point of the article is you don't get to eat more, unless you're very careful.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,766 Member
    Options
    Yeah, that's pretty non-revolutionary news. All this article is saying is that it's super-easy to out-eat your exercise calorie burn (or wipe it out by being less active in daily activities to compensate for tiredness or somesuch).

I'm active because it's fun, and it makes me strong, which is useful throughout my daily life. I know some people don't like being active, but I just don't understand that - stronger, lowered stress level, healthier, fun . . . why would I stop doing something that has all those benefits?

But I've been very active for a dozen years, while remaining obese. I've only lost weight (60+ pounds) and gotten to a healthy weight by eating less, over the past year. (That's been completely worthwhile, too - significant joint pain reduced to trivial, normal cholesterol/triglycerides, normal blood pressure, more . . . wish I'd done it years ago.)
  • ernestrodgers82
    Options
    snerggly wrote: »
    I am living proof that you can be fit and fat. I exercise all the time with no results. I am actually burned out on it and dread it sadly. Anyhow, it's great stress relief which matters.

Join the club @snerggly. According to this article you really have to treat exercise completely separate from diet. It's great to workout but unless there's a calorie deficit, weight isn't going to move. I'm glad that I came across it.
  • daniip_la
    daniip_la Posts: 678 Member
    Options

Now that's what I thought until reading this article. You DON'T get to eat back your calories. You really have to stay within your daily calorie limit regardless of exercise in order to not gain weight instead of losing it. I suppose if you're ultra careful with measuring your food but I'm not that disciplined on portion sizes. It's like @catstratch said in their post.

On days that I walk a lot, I eat back most of my exercise calories earned (usually around 400 calories above my calorie goal), and I'm still losing more than 2lbs a week.

If you log accurately, eating back exercise calories is what you're supposed to do.
  • ernestrodgers82
    Options
    @daniip_la I think you're one of those careful measurers. :smile:
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,766 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options

Some diet tracking web sites don't intend you to eat back exercise calories, but MFP is designed to assume that you do. But it also assumes that you're tracking your food accurately, which does mean paying attention to portion size.

I ate back pretty much all my (carefully estimated) exercise calories while losing 60+ pounds, and am doing the same now that I'm in maintenance. But I track my eating carefully, too, and strive to remain active (with routine stuff) outside of formal exercise, rather than letting that decrease.
  • VividVegan
    VividVegan Posts: 200 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Researchers Discover That Exercise Isn’t the Most Efficient Method for the Body to Burn Calories

https://t.co/dlnz5vyr63

It was for me (in addition to calorie counting). I went from obese to anorexic/skinny-fat (healthy food choices and calorie deficit with little to no exercise). Then I introduced weight lifting, cardio HIIT, etc and became less strict with my diet. I eat non-dairy ice cream (allergies) almost every day. Body fat is still decreasing, more veins starting to show, and my abs are becoming more visible. All I make sure to do is stay slightly under my calorie limit, exercise (mostly resistance training), and hit my minimums/macros regardless of where they come from. I've had multiple DEXA scans so far.