Does the amount of exercise I do decide my weight loss?

Options
I was wondering if the amount of exercise you do effects your weight loss? I know the primary factor for weight loss is CICO, but is exercise really that important?
For example, if I were to eat within my calorie goal and still have a 500 deficit on three days of the week I exercise, does that mean the other two days I am within my calorie goal without exercise (having roughly about an extra 100 - 150 deficit) it might affect my overall progress of losing weight?

Replies

• saranne1015
    saranne1015 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    If you hit the recommended calorie goal that MFP gives you, you are going to lose weight (barring some factors like disease and sodium intake). If you exercise, you are expanding the amount of calories you can eat in a day and if you don't eat them back, you will lose more weight. Aside from walking pretty much everywhere just to get around, I don't do any exercise, really, and I've lost over 20 lbs.
  • pawfectly
    pawfectly Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    If you hit the recommended calorie goal that MFP gives you, you are going to lose weight (barring some factors like disease and sodium intake). If you exercise, you are expanding the amount of calories you can eat in a day and if you don't eat them back, you will lose more weight. Aside from walking pretty much everywhere just to get around, I don't do any exercise, really, and I've lost over 20 lbs.

That's good to know. Thank you for response!
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    If 3500 calories = 1lb... If you eat at maintenance most days and slight deficit on other days, you should lose weight.

The end result depends on your fitness journey. Lifting can help retain more lean body mass as you lose weight. Cardio can help with endurance. Body composition and cardio vascular health varies with each individual when they reach their goal weight.

• LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    We cannot out exercise a bad diet, you must create a deficit.
    Certainly exercise helps and if you're young enough to, let's say do a massive bike ride a couple times a week--you can burn a lot of calories.
    Just try your best to keep an eye of what you eat and how much of it....but start after the 4th (JK).

Good Luck.
  • RainaProske
    RainaProske Posts: 636 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Personally, I believe that exercise effects weight loss way less than people want to believe. I lost 123 pounds and exercised only once throughout this weight loss. It's not what I intended to do; I just never found time to exercise.

But! Oh, to be able to do it all over again, in order to add exercise! I am now physically very weak. Sure, I am 67, but I have far older relatives who are strong, vibrant, go-getters! My sister, who is 3.5 years older, is a dancer, who performs! I can barely walk down the street! Going grocery shopping is a big deal! I recently bought a cane to use for my worst days! This is ridiculousness!

But I'm not going to just sit back and take it. I'm going to get better. Just Don't You Do This To Yourself!!
  • ivylyon
    ivylyon Posts: 172 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    The general idea is CICO, so as long as you're within what MFP sets you should lose weight. But I think the "bonus" from excercise is that it builds muscle which helps your body burn more calories even when you're not exercising.
    There are obviously general health benefits from exercise, but from a diet point of view it "earns" you a few more calories. Long term these extras are important because they allow you more flexiblity in your diet, you have room to treat yourself, or get a bit more variety so you're more likely to stick to it. Also more calories helps make sure you're getting enough vitamins etc which you need for long term weight loss.
    Aside from that, exercise is a positive thing to actually DO something (as opposed to focusing on what you're NOT doing, ie not eating) it should be a bit of time for yourself, maybe some fresh air and headspace from taking a walk, or a nice endorphin hit of an exercise class - whatever works for you.
  • jessiethe3rd
    jessiethe3rd Posts: 239 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    That depends on a few factor. These factors still account for only 20% of the complete picture, however.

Exercise builds muscle. Muscle increases your metabolism. Faster metabolism will let you a.) eat more as directly relational to the caloric output, b.) improve your fitness level, improve your body composition c.) help mental health

All items are tip of the spear in living longer and looking better. In my option that is the goal of any weightless program. You want to improve the way you look, feel, and live.

It is more than just weight. That is not the solution.
  • dlm7507
    dlm7507 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Dieting causes weight loss which will include fat, muscle, lean tissue including internal organs and bones. The fat to important stuff proportions will be improved if you exercise. As for aerobic vs strength, look at pictures of endurance athletes and sprinters, boxers, wrestlers, weightlifters who must make weight or gymnasts and decide for yourself what is best for your body.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Vigorous exercise for an hour each day can add as much as 10% to your daily calorie burn. So even if you do vigorous exercise for an hour each day, your basic activity level of sedentary, low active, high active, etc., is going to burn 90% of the calories that day. Weight loss happens at the dining table.
  • pawfectly
    pawfectly Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Thank you to everyone who has answered! Your responses helped me a lot
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    But! Oh, to be able to do it all over again, in order to add exercise! I am now physically very weak. Sure, I am 67, but I have far older relatives who are strong, vibrant, go-getters! My sister, who is 3.5 years older, is a dancer, who performs! I can barely walk down the street! Going grocery shopping is a big deal! I recently bought a cane to use for my worst days! This is ridiculousness!

But I'm not going to just sit back and take it. I'm going to get better. Just Don't You Do This To Yourself!!

Congratulations on a wonderful weight loss! Regarding your comment above, PLEASE take your advice and start whatever exercise suits your interest. You will soon be thrilled with the increased energy and health that comes from regular exercise. It is never to late to start. Best of luck