Bodybuilding

Options
I have a ton of confusion on my side. I am 5'4" 146lbs, and looking to get into body building. As for the future i would like to compete in physique competition's. As I begin to body build. Will I lose weight from fat loss then gain weight from muscle, or will I just gain weight from muscle because fast shrinks and muscle grows (and not lose weight in the first place.) I'm very new to this.

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    edited July 2016
    Options
    You will cycle between bulks and cuts depending on how close you are to comp and your goals at the timw.

But if you want to compete, the first place to start is with a coach. Not only can they help with routine, they can help with poses and prep.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    You should probably sit down and just start researching everything. Macros, TDEE, bulk and cuts, programs, hypertrophy and atrophy, high reps vs low reps, fast twitch and slow twitch muscle fibres. It goes on. I've been training for just over a year hoping to compete within the next 5 and I still have so much to learn. A coach would be a great idea but also it will cost you. For now just focus on gaining muscle, a coach is probably still awhile off if you haven't even started lifting yet.
  • skyehighlifting
    skyehighlifting Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Well I've been lifting at home with the equipment I have. And I'm soon to be getting a gym membership. Something else that really affects all of this is that I have an eating disorder where I tend to binge one day then starve myself the next day. So I'm really hoping to develop a stable meal plan and pre cooking my meals and seeing if that will help too.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Well I've been lifting at home with the equipment I have. And I'm soon to be getting a gym membership. Something else that really affects all of this is that I have an eating disorder where I tend to binge one day then starve myself the next day. So I'm really hoping to develop a stable meal plan and pre cooking my meals and seeing if that will help too.

You should probably be working with some sort of therapy team to address that cause as well. Because thale mental games tends to be the biggest hurdle.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Are you seeing anyone to help with this?
  • skyehighlifting
    Options
    I was seeing a therapist for a while, but once summer came along I don't have the time to anymore. I do have a lot of people around me who help with it, but they're just friends
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I was seeing a therapist for a while, but once summer came along I don't have the time to anymore. I do have a lot of people around me who help with it, but they're just friends

I honestly can't think of ANYTHING that is more important than your mental and physical health.
  • skyehighlifting
    Options
    I know, once fall comes around I'll have more time and I am looking to get back into seeing a therapist. We had gotten to the point where I could recognize when I'm over eating and I've been practicing different methods to stop myself.
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    You have more important issues to deal with than bodybuilding.

That said, if you want to get into bodybuilding, eating is every bit as important as lifting (as a great bodybuilder once said, "I'd skip a workout before I'd skip a meal").