Am I crazy? Am I wrong? Can I find Clarity?

Options
So, I want to spin a tale of a recent (horrible) doctor's visit that I recently had. I'm not sure how many people will reply to this, had this happen to them, but it's been a few days and I still cry about what has happened and I'm not sure how to feel about it. I hope someone listens/ understands.

I was playing at a local game center with my friends to celebrate the start of summer classes. We decided to play this dance game (DDR) I used to be really good, but I haven't played it in years. So instead of trying to start slow, I went ahead and did a hard song, messed up my footing, and hyperextended my knee and sprained it. Afraid that it might be a serious problem, I went to go see the doctor at the college health clinic the next morning.

Before I continue the story let me clarify...

I arrive and I get weighed 192. I was shocked at that number because I don't weigh myself I measure myself in inches.
(for the story)
w:31
h:43
thigh:26
arm:13

I have been dieting since Ive been back from studying abroad and my inches were atrocious *w:36, H:47, thigh:27 arm:14
So by March *when I came back* I made a lot of good positive changes since then; no drinking, drinking 6 glasses of water *with my water bottle*, and eating what I want, but half of it which is how I lost those inches. Still a lot of progress that needs to be made, but I'm working on it.

But I actually get to the doctor and she says, "I see that you're here for a knee problem, but there's a much more serious problem underlined here" and I get confused when she says, "Really your knee got sprained because of all the weight you are carrying." I tried to tell her that I have been losing inches and told her my stats *which I measured myself the morning before* and she said, "I'm looking at you right now and I know you're not 31 inches" she then proceeds to "consel" me on how these an epidemic in America on Obesity and that I'm on the high road to diabetes. I kept trying to tell her my eating habits now and how I'm losing the weight, but she said, "If youre not going to be honest, then you're only hurting yourself". At this point I ended up lying saying that I eat a lot of sweets *which I don't anymore*. She keeps nailing into me that because of my racial background *white and african american* that I'm on the road to diabetes because of my AA heritage. I said that my father is almost 60 *he's AA* and he doesn't have it because of his healthy diet and he runs 6 days a week, but she corrected me to say "Not yet"

I started crying from her beating me down about my "future" and was so frustrated because ALL I WANTED WAS A KNEE BRACE AND ASPRIN. So prescribes these to me in the end, but also told me I need to get blood work done on my metabolic, blood sugar, thyroid and so on to see if I'm pre-diabetic. She also prescribes me a medicine that suppresses your appetite.

And after all of that, the thing that hurts me the most, the thing that I can't stop thinking about at night and that I can't stop looking at the mirror at is her last words to me, "If you keep taking this medicine, by the time Christmas rolls around, you're going to be so beautiful" And that's whats been upsetting me these past few days, that I feel like, Am I delusional?

Here are my questions that I ponder on since that visit:

Should I even pick up the prescription of the appetite suppressers if I have been doing very well so far on portion control?

When she gave me the blood work, she asked if I ate anything that day and I said "Yes, right before I went into the office, I had a small 120 cal bag of Cinnamon toast crunch w/o milk" and she said it wouldn't affect my results, but I'm afraid it's going to show that I have diabetes, when really I just ate cereal that morning. So am I suppose to fast before the blood work? Or would it have not changed my results?

Was she even right to introduce that problem to me? I know I have a weight problem, but I never check the scales just the inches *which btw, I measured after the visit, my waist is 31 and I make and commission clothing so I know how to measure* and it wasn't the purpose of my visit. I also never had knee problems while I exercised, just only for the instance. Wouldn't referring me to a nutritionist be better/healthier? *Fun Fact: She weighs almost the same as me 188, but her waist she told me was 33-34, but I can tell her legs and hips are smaller then mine which might be why I have a smaller waist*

I question her facts on health issues on races. She said that Europeans/ people from anglo background can get bigger, but still not have diabetes as much as other races and because I am half AA that I will more then likely have diabetes even when I told her it doesn't run in my family. So also claimed the health issue of Asians having high risk of diabetes because of the amount of rice in their diet, but living in Asian countries for 3 years, I beg to differ and question her facts. Should I just agree with her and say that because I'm half AA that I'm on the road to diabetes?

My last question is has anyone had these kind of experiences? Had doctors that instead of not treat you on your progress, but treat as you walk in and not listen to your story, have you had those? I'm not sure how to feel about this visit. If I should take something out of it and make it into a positive note or chalk it up as bad doctoring.

Someone please reply!! Sorry this is long, but I really needed to get this out of my chest. I thought maybe people could give me a reply on here.

Replies

• chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Shame on her for how she handled that. I sure as heck wouldn't be going back to her for ANYTHING - ever.

That being said, I would stay away from any kind of weight loss "drugs". If you're doing well with portion control then I say continue with portion control. Don't let her discourage you - at all. If you're comfortable with what you're doing - keep doing it!

I don't like that doctors seem to want to shove drugs down our throats for every single thing out there. You don't NEED drugs to lose weight - you can do it with simple lifestyle changes. I feel like feeding everyone an appetite suppressant isn't going to cure America's obesity problem. We need to teach people how to eat in moderation, how to eat healthy and make better choices. Not shove a dang pill down their throat. Ugh.
  • Micheller1210
    Micheller1210 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I m sorry this happened to you :flowerforyou: I dont know why she picked you to go all out and do a crusade Dr. appt. I know must be very humiliating.:blushing: But you are doing awesome and keep doing what you are doing. About the pills I dont know, I wouldnt take them, but some people do need a jumpstart....but that is up to you to decide.:laugh:
  • lisa_73
    lisa_73 Posts: 43
    Options
    I am so sorry you had this experience! I would be pretty upset also, and no matter what I go to the Dr. for, and no matter what the topic of conversation is, I never like being ignored and talked to like I'm an idiot. You are not wrong to be upset, the Dr. seems like she had no intention of listening to your side of the story. As far as the facts go, I'm no expert, and I am not sure on those. I just wanted to give some support to you. Good for you for changing your diet on your own when you saw that you needed to...stay on track, and maybe find a new, supportive Dr. *hugs*
  • TescherTK
    TescherTK Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Oh, honey, you need a new doctor!

I had a doctor like her once, though not half as bad. I went to her because I was having frequent bloody noses, and she put me on all sorts of pills for other things including a blood pressure medicine because even though my blood pressure wasn't high the medicine was a "preventative". I hate taking pills, so I stopped taking them.

You need to go to a doctor who will listen to you and encourage you. It is smart to get tested for diabetes if you are overweight, even if you don't have any symptoms, but she shouldn't make you feel like you should just hop in a grave right now.

I think it's time for a 2nd opinion.
  • hopebuck
    hopebuck Posts: 138
    Options
    wow! i am so sorry that she treated you that way, that is HIGHLY Uncalled for and I'm upset for you. I really think that you should talk to someone at the college about how you were treated. That was just not ok on any level. you did NOT go there for weight loss advice or to be belittled, you went b/c of your KNEE and the reason you hurt it had NOTHING to do with your weight. I'm really upset...i want to go there and give that dr a piece of my mind...seriously. ridiculous. as if girls in college don't have enough peer pressure to look a certain way or have an airbrushed look about the.....oooohhh...i'm angry. and no, don't fill that prescription. you are doing fantastic!!!!!!!!!!
  • Lisas30th
    Lisas30th Posts: 11
    Options
    I don't think the doctor's intentions were to try to hurt you. I think she may have been wanting to make you aware of certain risk factors it just sounds like she went about it the wrong way. However, if you feel uncomfortable with her it's probably better to get a second opinion.
  • katberz
    katberz Posts: 123
    Options
    Wow...that's completely out of order. I wouldn't take the drugs and I certainly wouldn't see her again in future.

I've only had the odd comment about my weight by doctors in the past and they were all much more polite and tactful than yours. I've been told I need to drop pounds because it will be aggravating my back problems but it was only mentioned in passing as one of the measures I can take to help myself. I wasn't given a full on lecture.
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    Fire your doctor and find a new one.

A good doctor would listen to you about the fact that you've already been making lifestyle changes. Print out some of your food & exercise diary to take with you, just because if you're going to have a good working relationship with your doctor they need to know that.

A good doctor should be supportive of the progress you've already made, gently (and tactfully) ask if you need their help to proceed (because some people will), and listen to the problem you're actually there to be seen about.
  • get_fit2009
    get_fit2009 Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    Oh, honey, you need a new doctor!

I had a doctor like her once, though not half as bad. I went to her because I was having frequent bloody noses, and she put me on all sorts of pills for other things including a blood pressure medicine because even though my blood pressure wasn't high the medicine was a "preventative". I hate taking pills, so I stopped taking them.

You need to go to a doctor who will listen to you and encourage you. It is smart to get tested for diabetes if you are overweight, even if you don't have any symptoms, but she shouldn't make you feel like you should just hop in a grave right now.

I think it's time for a 2nd opinion.

DITTO! For the doctor to ignore you like that means that this is NOT the right doctor for you!!! That is horrible! Find a new doc! I agree that doctors should help us to be mindful of our health, but not in a dismissive way like this doctor did. Oh, I am ANGRY on your behalf now!!! :explode:
  • mamacremers
    mamacremers Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    That doctor has some problems going on with herself. She's a clinic doctor, she's supposed to fix the problem and move on. I'd see if if she were your regular doctor (mine did something similar to me, but not that drastic, story later). I'd just shrug her off and keep moving forward with what you're doing.

Maybe you should weigh yourself too, to see your progress. Sometimes a weight loss is WAY BETTER than measuring inches! And for the prescription, use it if you want. I use Phentermine to help me lose, it is a prescription too. I suggest you read up on it A LOT before you start though! And if you need some support with it, feel free to friend me. Or if you have more questions about it, message me.

The last time I went to the doc about getting phen again, she (she's not my regular doc, but another doc in her office) lectured me about exercising and watching what I eat and to go to caloriecounter.com (I think). I said I know, I try to exercise but it's difficult with kids and husband is gone. And I use MFP to track my calories and she replied with this, verbatim: "You need a fitness pal to get your *kitten* in the gym" She's a bit rough around the edges, but I know she didn't intend to offend me.
  • bcatgray
    bcatgray Posts: 41
    Options
    Oh wow! The treatment you received was horrible! If I'm not mistaken, the government made it so that you can't even get tested for diabetes unless you have a history of it in your family or you are exhibiting signs of it. Sounds like she was trying to trump up charges for your insurance company. And the fact that she gave you DIET PILLS without you asking for them??? Those things can be addictive. And if you're addicted to them, what will happen? You will continue to come to visit her to get more and she's able to continue to charge your insurance. I'm just in awe how she treated you. The years that I worked in administration of the medical field, the first thing they would do is to send you to a nutritionist. Diet pills were to be the last option. If she had your best interest in mind, she would work at changing your habits, not covering over them.

And for the record, not all AA people have diabetes! A lot of the diabetes these days are brought on by the medications that many of the doctors are prescribing. And they're prescribing these medications because a lot of people do not want to change their eating/exercise habits.

If what you are doing is working for you, keep doing it. You are happy with your results. Nice, slow and steady is how it should be. I would not be visiting her again. Matter of fact, I would more than likely call in to my insurance company and complain. She may be doing this to others and forcing the insurance companies to pay for these unnecessary services/prescriptions.
  • Shrinking_Xtina
    Shrinking_Xtina Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Get a new doctor right away! First off she was very unprofessional to tell you you'd be beautiful if you lost weight as if you weren't beautiful now. God, I cannnot standdddd it when doctors and nurses tell me to lose weight because I'm pretty. I once had a doctor say to a student she was teaching in front of me that the reason I was obese was because "Hispanics embrace being fat, they think it's a good thing." This doctor had me taking Metformin pills when I'm not even diabetic and was just downright rude. After she moved her clinic somewhere else without even telling me, I got a new doctor right away who took me off the metformin pills and told me regular diet, particularly low glycemic diet and exercise, would help me lose weight and I've lost 35 pounds so far. That doctor sounds like she's basing her medical knowledge on preconceived notions and stereotypes, what an idiot!
  • farmgirlsuz
    farmgirlsuz Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I agree-I wouldn't go back to her ever. My doctor is completely the opposite. He refused to put me on any medication for any condition that I was complaining of until we gave it some time and I could prove to him that I could do it on my own. Which by the way, after 4 months was AMAZING.

Keep doing what you are doing, be more accountable when it comes to weighing and measuring yourself so you will have the data to prove to any health professional that you ARE seeing results when you visit a DIFFERENT doctor in the future.

Just curious-I wonder what kind of kick back that Dr. is getting for prescribing the drugs from the drug company???? (That never happens, right?)
  • psb13
    psb13 Posts: 629
    Options
    as a member of the healthcare profession, i am so sorry you had such a horrible experience!! i actually did have a similar experience!! i had been nursing an ankle injury for awhile and decided to go to a walk in clinic just for an xray....that's all i wanted. the doctor...lets call her "dr stupid".. proceeded to order an ekg and many other tests!! she took my blood pressure using the wrong size cuff that she placed on my arm wrong!! i am a nurse...trust me, i know how it should be done. she told me that me ekg showed a previous heart attack (it didn't-had it read by "dr smart" later) and that i needed to be on blood pressure meds (i don't-bp is fine when taken properly). she eventually did do the xray, which was fine, and sent me home with prescriptions for various maladies that i don't have. on the way out i complained about "dr stupid" to "nice reception lady" who said that there had been numerous complaints about "dr stupid".

i would suggest that you continue to do what you are doing. THROW AWAY THE PRESCRIPTION FOR WEIGHT MANAGEMENT PILLS. the labs may or may not need to be done fasting depending on what she ordered. baseline labs aren't necessarily a bad idea. i believe there has been some published data on diabetes (and high blood pressure) in AA folks but i was thinking it was more in the male population (can't swear to it).

do what you are doing...screw her-you are already beautiful. complain to someone at your school-guidance counselor maybe. her behavior in prescribing wt loss meds is dangerous in a college community!!

stay on track with your program and keep up your good work!! best of luck to you. :flowerforyou:
  • Toots2012
    Toots2012 Posts: 25
    Options
    First of all, I would report her to the Director of where ever she practices medicine at!!!!

Second of all, it sounds like the changes that you have made are working wonderfully for you and you are making excellent progress. GOOD FOR YOU...Keep up the good work. It's important to loose weight at a slow, moderate, safe rate. That is the most healthy thing to do and the weight will stay off and be easier to maintain that way.

I was prescibed pills by a doctor before...they worked just like a miricle pill...And when I came off them I gained twice the amount of weight back. So now here I am struggle to loose the wieght all over again. DONT TAKE THE PILLS!!! I feel like in the long run, they will set you up for failure.

And lastly, your better than me because once she finished being so darn rude and unprofessional.....I would have told her about herself good ole' fashion......I bet she'd think twice before EVER speaking in that manner before talking to another patient like that again. WOW the nerve of some people and she is suppose to be a medical professional....REALLY LADY!!!
    URRGGGGHHHHHH!!
  • Fatcatsmom
    Fatcatsmom Posts: 21
    Options
    No you aren't crazy or wrong. I would be very upset too. Maybe she was trying to help you but she sure wasn't listening to you. I would take this as a learning experience , but remember that every doctor doesn't always know the best info on nutrition and losing weight. It sounds like you are doing really well with your weight and fitness so I don't think you should take the medication. Also even if your blood sugar might be a little high from the cereal next they would want to check a fasting and 2 hour level. I don't think it hurts to get blood work done just to make sure every things OK. Keep up the good work!
  • maureendonahue
    maureendonahue Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I am sorry this happened to you. Everyone here seems to be right on the money: get a new doctor! However, because it is a clinic, that may not be an option right now.

This has happened to me too. I went in for a regular prenatal visit and my tests (blood pressure/pulse/sugar) were all fine. The doctor asked if I had any other health problems. (He was just filling in and not my regular doctor). I replied that I was great, healthy as a horse. And he actually said "and the size of one too." It was under his breath-possibly not meant for me to hear-but I heard it. I was devestated. And I had actually lost 10 lbs. through that point in the pregancy! (Losing weight while pregnant is normal for me.)

I did complain-to my regular doctor and to the HMO directly (never saw that doctor in the office again either), but it did not take away the hurt.

Don't let her get you down. You are doing well with your current plan, so stick with it. Good luck on your journey!
  • mountainmare
    mountainmare Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    If this is a doctor at the college health services offices will you please consider going to your human resorces office and discussing this with them.
    Some of what you are saying crosses the line into racial steriotyping and that is unacceptable in any environment.
    From a medical point of view prescribing weight loss pills without having any results from your bloodwork is also unacceptable.

You are a strong young woman with a huge support group, imagine what could happen to the next person who goes to the clinic who is not as strong as you are. This person can do real harm and should be reported.
  • Trishkit
    Trishkit Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    You're not crazy or wrong -- that "doctor" is! I'm in shock at the way she treated you and I would feel just as terrible about it, as well. You go there looking for support in helping heal your knee, and get totally ripped into. Ugh, I'm so sorry you had to go through that! :flowerforyou:

And ANY doctor of ANY field who refuses to listen to what you have to say, really should not be in practice. She doesn't know anything about you, your lifestyle, your eating habits, etc. Making such horrible assumptions and accusing you of lying, just based on your weight, is a terribly unprofessional thing to be doing.

I would not fill the prescription or take the pills. It sounds like you're making good progress on your own and that's much more valuable in the long run. Appetite-suppressing pills won't teach you anything about living a healthy lifestyle.

Kudos to you for your progress so far, and keep tracking your stats! Not only are they awesome to look at when you're having an "off" day, but it's fun to wave them in the face of the pill-pushers and naysayers and go, "Yeah, you see this?! Still think I'm lying?"
  • OhJackie
    OhJackie Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the overwhelming responses! I was just glad that someone responsed and understand/experience the same feelings I had!

A few notes:
    -I did pick up the prescription and I took it for two days *one pill a day* and I'm definitely going to dispose of them.
    They are VERY helpful and did suppress my appetite, but what scared me was how powerful it was. I took one in the morning and was studying yesterday and because I didn't feel the signal "hey time to eat, or grab a snack" and you feel energized the whole day. I didn't even think of eating until 10 pm!!! I would recommend it if you have a hard time with massive cravings, but I'm afraid since I normally have a hard time fitting eating around a busy school schedule, that it would be dangerous to take the pills. I'm also afraid that once I ran out/get off of them, I'm going to gain all the weight back.

-I understand maybe in her mind she was trying to help me and just wanted to show a problem I had with my weight. I understand her intentions were to show that I'm not at a healthy weight and I need to change, but what bothered me was her presentation. I already have a very low self esteem and for her to say that I'll be beautiful if I take the pills was a red flag that I need to get out of that situation.

-I definitely appreciated getting the bloodwork done, but because of the manner it was done, I think I will wait till I return home before the fall semester *I like 4 hrs away* and get it done at the military hospital *under my father's insurance*.

-Another thing was I almost felt like deserved to be talked to like that, because I have a hard time sticking up for myself in situations where someone is being overbearing and my mom gets onto me for that all the time *laughs* I really should've compained or made it clear that I was already dieting and being healthy. But lesson learned, I'm just not going to visit there again and go to the military hospital where they treat me a lot better.