To train or not to train?

Options
almostanangel21
almostanangel21 Posts: 143 Member
edited July 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi all,

I'm overdue for my second weekly strength workout, and I'm not sure if I should do it or not. Last night, I got a pain in my back that made it hurt to bend forward; not sure if I sat wrong or what. I felt somewhat better this morning, but still needed two Aleve to make the pain subside. It's just a slight ache now, and I feel like I could lift through it. On the one hand, I'm not sure it's a good idea, but on the other hand, I'd feel guilty about making an excuse to skip a strength workout when I've been so good about it all summer. (I'm still planning on getting my hour of elliptical time in since that's low impact.) Advice?

Replies

• julie_broadhead
    julie_broadhead Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Get to a doc and don't train today.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    When this happens to me, I take a day off from lifting. Put it this way: one day not lifting vs. lifting and possibly making an injury worse and needing an even longer recovery. I figure I'm not competiting, its just for my own fitness for the rest of my life.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    *competing (stupid phone keyboard)
  • almostanangel21
    Options
    Thank you both. I decided to err on the side of safety and skip it, and I'll go to the doctor if the pain persists tomorrow.
  • STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    The most important thing to remember is this is a long-term Journey not a quick Sprint. Missing one day missing one week in the long-term perspective doesn't matter that much.
    Listen to your body sometimes you need some extra time to recover there's nothing wrong with that
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

Go to a doctor at the first sign of soreness? It wasn't 12 hours before the pain was already subsiding
  • IAmThunderHawk
    IAmThunderHawk Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    How painful is it, does it hurt if you move in a particular way?
  • GoodLittleEater
    GoodLittleEater Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    There is usually something you can do that will not reproduce or aggravate the pain. If you feel guilty, maybe a gentle, but long walk is in the cards. That's not what you had planned, but it's still movement, burns calories, and might make you feel better psychologically. If you cannot find anything gentle that is possible, then yes, maybe a medical practitioner would be the right choice.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Weekly strength workout?
  • julie_broadhead
    julie_broadhead Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »

Go to a doctor at the first sign of soreness? It wasn't 12 hours before the pain was already subsiding

OP stated that it hurt to bend over and that 2 naproxen, which is double the recommended dose, turned it into a "slight ache". I hope the OP is feeling better and that it turned out to be nothing.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    I'm not aware of any OTC pain relievers that completely eliminate DOMS, so that isn't really a clue.
  • singletrackmtbr
    singletrackmtbr Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    There's good pain and bad pain. This sounds like a bad pain. Lay off the training or do exercises that don't involve your back. After you feel better I would examine your workouts and your form. Get experienced people to help. You're body is trying to tell you something!
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    I've never had DOMS that made it hurt my back to bend forward, only stable aches or pain trying to straighten up.

What OP describes sounds more like back strain. I'd see a doctor for sure before trying to lift anything.

• almostanangel21
    Options
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »
    Weekly strength workout?

Second weekly, i.e. I strength train 2-3 days per week. Sorry, that was ambiguous.
  • almostanangel21
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »

OP stated that it hurt to bend over and that 2 naproxen, which is double the recommended dose, turned it into a "slight ache". I hope the OP is feeling better and that it turned out to be nothing.

She is, it was, and thank you.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »
    Weekly strength workout?

Second weekly, i.e. I strength train 2-3 days per week. Sorry, that was ambiguous.

Okay, good. Because I was going to suggest that the frequency of your once weekly strength routine might be a culprit in your situation.