IBS

Options
I suffer with IBS and it seriously affects my diet. Does anyone have any advice on diet or supplements that can help?

Replies

• mathandcats
    mathandcats Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    You should see a registered dietician and ask about the low FODMAP diet. It has been shown to improve symptoms in about 3/4 of IBS sufferers. But it should be supervised by a dietician as you figure out your trigger foods.
  • OneTwentyThree
    OneTwentyThree Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Which kind of IBS? If it's IBS-C make sure to drink plenty of water every day. Probiotics are helpful also.
  • callumwalker1995
    callumwalker1995 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    You should see a registered dietician and ask about the low FODMAP diet. It has been shown to improve symptoms in about 3/4 of IBS sufferers. But it should be supervised by a dietician as you figure out your trigger foods.

I struggle with depression so my doctor knows all about it. The low FODMAP diet does not work for me. Things like beans and lentils are shocking for setting off my gasand bloating and pain
  • OneTwentyThree
    OneTwentyThree Posts: 186 Member
    Options

I struggle with depression so my doctor knows all about it. The low FODMAP diet does not work for me. Things like beans and lentils are shocking for setting off my gasand bloating and pain

Some people have issues forever with beans and lentils. Try introducing it in small amounts once a week and see if your body gets used to it little by little.
  • mathandcats
    mathandcats Posts: 786 Member
    Options

If you can't eat beans and lentils, don't. I'm not sure if that sentence is meant to illustrate why low FODMAP didn't work for you (if so, I'm confused, because lentils and beans are high FODMAP). I think you should see a registered dietician anyway.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Have you ever tried a pro-biotic? Some sites say it could help. Worth a try.
    http://www.webmd.com/ibs/features/supplements-for-ibs-what-works
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options

Most people get bloated from beans, not just people with ibs. I agree, you need to see a doctor and dietician to do the low fodmap died correctly. Additionally you can see what medication can help you manage your symptoms. You will never be cured. Ibs will just be part of your life. Best you can do is learn to manage the symptoms.
  • Ginny218
    Ginny218 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I use 17 g mirlax, 8 glasses water and 20 grams fiber -no more and try no less... that is working for now
  • Raggedy729
    Raggedy729 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I too have IBS-C and Lynch Syndrome and other dietary issues. I take a probotic. I tried Linzess for a while but I got some of the side effects so I only use it when needed.
  • suzyjane1972
    suzyjane1972 Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I started taking a probiotic and cut out wheat because wheat is a serious trigger. Beans and lentils can cause me bloating so I limit those.
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    have you been diagnosed by a doctor with IBS?
  • gentlygently
    gentlygently Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Low fodmap - er done properly. Probiotic.

Reduce stress is you possibly can, reduce anxiety (mindfulness excercises, meditation), exercise for endorphins and a happier body.

My IBS was awful. Gone away pretty much 100%.

Good luck
  • ivanfawcettgibson
    ivanfawcettgibson Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I control ibs by restricting carbs. Beans, bread, pastries, taters and sadly, good beer. I use fat for my fuel source.
  • callumwalker1995
    Options
    have you been diagnosed by a doctor with IBS?

Yes
  • callumwalker1995
    Options
    I control ibs by restricting carbs. Beans, bread, pastries, taters and sadly, good beer. I use fat for my fuel source.

Would you recommend lowering carbs and increasing fatsthen?
  • ivanfawcettgibson
    Options
    It's worth a try, but there are a few things to note.
    Do your research - Google terms such as 'lchf' and 'ketogenic'. Some people fail with this way of eating in the first two weeks because of the 'keto flu'. It can be fully avoided if you know what you're doing - hence the research!
    It may be beneficial to you to cut certain carbs and not all carbs, or systematically cut carbs to see which ones trigger your problem. For me it's beans, pulses and bread. Have a search in the groups here for the daily low carb group.
  • callumwalker1995
    Options
    It's worth a try, but there are a few things to note.
    Do your research - Google terms such as 'lchf' and 'ketogenic'. Some people fail with this way of eating in the first two weeks because of the 'keto flu'. It can be fully avoided if you know what you're doing - hence the research!
    It may be beneficial to you to cut certain carbs and not all carbs, or systematically cut carbs to see which ones trigger your problem. For me it's beans, pulses and bread. Have a search in the groups here for the daily low carb group.

Beans and pulses are an absolute killer for me they set my stomach ache off like nothing else but white rice/pasta/bread are fine
  • ivanfawcettgibson
    Options
    Oh yeah, pasta! Pasta used to have me bent over double as a kid. I'm not sure about rice, I've not had any for a while. I just feel much better dropping most carbs.
    Though I did have fish and chips at the coast on Saturday with few issues.