Fatty liver and keto

Options
Jessyd76
Jessyd76 Posts: 539 Member
If I've been told that I have moderate to severe fatty liver - which is a sign of being pre diabetic - do I stick with keto or drop it like a bad habit?

Got any good research you can share on this?

Replies

• aeb09
    aeb09 Posts: 424 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    It's NAFLD I assume, yes? T2 diabetics usually benefit from ketogenic diets. From what I read, it's not yet known how longterm maintenance through keto might affect something like NAFLD as some reports say it helps and some say it hindered NAFLD in rats. I would suggest asking your doctor as well, however they are usually horrified to hear of high fat diets. Are you consuming a lot of vegetable oils and artificial sweeteners? That may be leading to a fatty liver, too.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    tryett wrote: »
    Have you asked your doctor?

This^^
  • Jessyd76
    Options
    No. I haven't asked my doctor yet. She was on vacation during this last week when I went in for the scan and what not, but I will see my primary care 8/4. I'm expecting that she will not be pleased with a keto based plan. But I need to find out if that based on science or not being familiar with keto.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Dr Bernstein's Diabetes Solution is a good book for anyone with insulin resistance. It may help you with a keto plan.
  • jrochest
    jrochest Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    Dr Bernstein's Diabetes Solution is a good book for anyone with insulin resistance. It may help you with a keto plan.

Dr Bernstein's was the only diet I've ever followed that literally made me weep. Is the 'diabetes solution' any better than the official plan?
  • nvmomketo
    edited July 2016
    Options
    jrochest wrote: »
    nvmomketo wrote: »

Dr Bernstein's was the only diet I've ever followed that literally made me weep. Is the 'diabetes solution' any better than the official plan?

There are two bernstein's out there. There are the diet clinics by Stanley Bernstein, which are just for weight loss. It seems similar to a Jenny Craig thing. https://www.drbdiet.com/

And then there is the doctor's offic and books by Dr Richard Bernstein, who is a T1D himself, and who invented self testing blood glucose at home a few decades ago. http://www.diabetes-book.com/read-online/ His book, Dr Bernstein's Diabetes Solution, is leading the way for ADA and doctors to encourage a LCHF diet for all with insulin resistance because most will see results before they even start losing weight, and have fewer BG swings which is healthier overall. Wonderful book for those with insulin resistance or BG problems (prediabetes, T1D, T2D, NAFLD, PCOS, Alzheimer's).
  • Jessyd76
    Options
    Thanks for the book suggestion. Just ordered it. I should have it on Tuesday. :)
  • AngelinaB_
    AngelinaB_ Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Seems to me somebody with a fatty liver eating fats is not a great thing. I wouldn't eat fats until talk to my Doc.
  • suzyjane1972
    suzyjane1972 Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    AngelinaB_ wrote: »
    Seems to me somebody with a fatty liver eating fats is not a great thing. I wouldn't eat fats until talk to my Doc.

Depending on what condition you have fat isn't always the cause of fatty liver disease.
  • AngelinaB_
    AngelinaB_ Posts: 563 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    OK. I am not a doctor.

I personally would talk to a doctor and not take advice from the internet regarding my health.
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    AngelinaB_ wrote: »

Eating fat does not cause fat to accumulate on the liver. NAFLD has to do with insulin resistance which has more to to with how well the patient can handle carbohydrates (not well) and to a lesser extent, protein. Fat is the least likely food to cause a rise in insulin or blood glucose levels.

• nvmomketo
    Options
    Consider joining the Low Carber Daily group if you haven't already. There are a number of us who are treating IR problems with a LCHF diet. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
  • Fifi_2016_P
    Fifi_2016_P Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have been reading a lot about clinical trials in regards to fatty liver disease and low carb diets. Although I have not been diagnosed with FLD I assume that I am more than likely to have it. I have high ALT readings and obese (89kg 5"4). I probably see my Doc this week to discuss even though she doesn't seemed worried about my ALT level which was 56.
    So what I am a bit worried about now is that I have started keto and am on day 8 and its been easy so far. I lost 4.2kgs which I think may be a problem as a fatty liver doesn't like fast weight loss - should be around 500g - 1.5kg a week. Im losing around 500g a day.The literature on this subject suggests to lose weight slowly and follow a low carb diet with a reduction in animal saturated fats. How can I slow down the weightloss? Is this more likely to be just water loss? Do I add more carbs? I know that I should ask a doctor and I will but thought someone might have experience in this area?
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Weight loss should improve fatty liver disease. There are other factors that can contribute to fatty liver disease besides diabetes and overweight/obesity like hypothyroidism and high cholesterol. I agree you need to speak with your doctor, but for now why not just focus on a calorie deficit and exercise.
  • erin3011
    erin3011 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Original Poster, it has been six month. How are you? Did you stick to keto? Did it help, how is your FLD? I'm curious to see how your FLD journey has been, as I'm just starting mine. I'm 35, 5'4", 130 pounds (so on the slim side), and I apparently have FLD. It was a big shock to me.... I'm not the typical FLD patient. But apparently my love of bread and sweets has gotten me in this mess..... and likely my genetics too. I'm starting keto and totally feel overwhelmed. Hope to see you post a reply. I hope you are doing welll.
    -E