what have you tried

Options
Thats right lets talk about all the bad experiences in the past. i wanna know what you did and didnt like about them. maybe we can eliminate the bads and combine the goods to come up with an amazing diet plan.
Bailey

Replies

• brife17
    Options
    Thats right lets talk about all the bad experiences in the past. i wanna know what you did and didnt like about them. maybe we can eliminate the bads and combine the goods to come up with an amazing diet plan.
    Bailey
  • Skinnier_Me
    Skinnier_Me Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Diet pills are a no go for me.

Watching what I eat and working out works the best.

The workouts that have worked and still do for me are PIlates, Turbo Jam, walking/running outdoors, walking on the treadmill & jogging in place while watching my fave show.
  • frithir
    frithir Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Oh dear ~ it's so much easier to tell you what I HAVEN'T tried ;-} Everything from being put on prescription diet pills at the age of 8 to over-the-counter diet pills to whatever the latest diet-of-the-moment is........all resulting in being 50 years old, weighing 215 lbs and finding out in July that I have elevated blood sugar, astronomically high trigycerides (and just for added spice ~ osteoporosis). What has helped me drop 22 lbs. in the past 6 weeks is a low carbohydrate/low fat diet, doing low impact/dance aerobics 1 hour every day and a vitamin regiment that includes biotin, chromium. magnesium, vitamin C, calcium, multi-vitamin and 2 tablespoons of cider vinegar after each meal. I'll be 51 in 2 days and darned if I'm starting to look and feel a whole lot better than I have in quite a few years :)
  • brife17
    Options
    well that is great frithir! congrats with the upcomming birthday, and you weight loss. And Skinnier_Me well congrats in genral! I believe that it will be up to us to come up with this new genious diet. are you gals ready?? lol
    Bailey
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    Options
    I definately believe the low fat diets help. I also look at the fiber content because they are packed with good carbs that are good for your body. Thing like dried fruit are great snacks. Golden raisins, dates things like that. Moving more is a great help and I think supplements can be a great addition.
    Eve
  • brife17
    Options
    good ideas. I think anyone who wants to help us create this diet is more than welcome. i am just plain tired of the norm diets we have been using and i think we could take our experiences and create one that will actually work. dont you think its kinda funny that people who have created in the past are mainly super skinny and havent dieted a day in their life. who better than us who are going through it right now, to create the perfect one!!! ready?
    Bailey
  • bigdane321
    bigdane321 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Well as a yo yo guy I gotta tell ya. Atkins is the pits yes it works but it's completely unsustainable. And after you gain the weight back it's twice as hard to lose the weight. Now I'm being realistic about this. My eyes are wide open. I started by creating as many different meals I could make that cut calories, but that I still like. I've been on my plan for three weeks and I have only repeated a meal a couple of times. So what I'm trying to say is verity counts. I really don't eat out anymore unless it's a special event. And instead of saying I can't eat anything on the menu I simply eat what I want and control the amount.

I have given up fast food, deep fried anything, cheese and red meat. I only eat bread products on special occasions otherwise I don't miss them.
    My typical day looks like this:
    Breakfast :Two hard boiled eggs at 6:30 am
    Snack: large carrot at 10:00 am
    Lunch: one meat ( fish, chicken, pork or turkey)No preservatives only One vegie or salad at Noon
    Snack: 1oz non salted Almonds 2:00 pm
    Dinner: same as lunch only made differently 4:00 pm to 6:00 pm
    Snack: if time permits Apple Before 6:00 pm ( if dinner was at least an hour before

I eat until I don't feel hungry; however, by the time I get done eating the snacks my appetite is almost always gone. No late snack for me. If it's past 6:00 pm my mouth is closed for business.

So far in three weeks I have gone from 305lbs to 288lbs so something is working.
  • brife17
    Options
    Wow bigdane321 that is amazing!! i wish i could lose that much so quick. i think we are off to a good start and i do admit that variety does help, alot! so with that said what are some meals that everyone would like to share?
  • eonblue
    eonblue Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Good job Dane although that doesnt seem like enough food! Your daily caloric intake seems super low. Do you work out at all?
  • deb_ge
    deb_ge Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Do you mean my past failures???Everything seemed to work for a short while, then I could not maintain and gained it all back:

Atkins Diet
    Cabbage Soup
    Weight Watchers
    LA Slimmers
    Eat Right for Your Blood Type (Felt much better, but did not lose significant weight)
    South Beach

Need I say more. The problem is not the diets. The problem is ME. I HAVE TO BE HONEST WITH MYSELF AND CHANGE.

Now, I am doing kind of a Zone deal. reduced carb, med protein, reduced fat, coupled with faithful excersize, 5 days a week or 6. I hope to lose 2 pounds a week for more than a year and get all my weight off. LOOOOONG way to go.
  • bigdane321
    bigdane321 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    tina5877

I'm a teacher/administrator so I spend most of my day behind a desk except when I teach. Thats usually is three days a week for 4 hours so I'm on my feet. I think I walk around one to two miles a day around campus. As for after work I spend my time chasing and playing with my kids. When possible I work in a golf game. So in the traditional sense of working out no. But I would like to.
  • EHBRown28
    EHBRown28 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    South Beach (or any diet that forbids certain foods) didn't work LONG TERM for me either. Although I admit I really liked losing weight fast, I refuse to live my life with no 'white stuff' forever. I am choosing whole wheat pasta and brown rice over the white stuff, but they are no longer FORBIDDEN. Anything that's forbidden just makes me want it more.

Using this site, I have gone from 147 down to 140.5 and I started on August 23rd. What I believe now is that I am still eating some of those 'forbidden items' (such as a small slice of dark chocolate cake at a friend's wedding shower), but I choose salads, vegetables MUCH MORE OFTEN for my meal choices. The weight is coming off and I'm not forbidden from eating anything. Most days I stay at 1200 calories, but the days that I go over, I just exercise more the next day.

A really quick way to cut calories is to stop drinking alcohol. I haven't really missed drinking white wine and when I am out with friends, which is pretty rare, I do allow myself to have a glass. Maybe twice since I started this site.

I found the BEST motivation for me is to see that scale go DOWN, DOWN, DOWN. I haven't been below 140 in quite a few years....and I can see it soon - - IF I keep this up.

Good luck to everyone!

EHBrown28
  • eonblue
    Options
    the problem is you can't look at it as if you are on a DIET. it has to be a life change. re-learn the way you eat and exercise. you have to change bad habits permanently. easier said than done but thats what needs to happen. make better choices and think about whats going into your body, what effect it will have on you and if extra calories and fat is worth sacrificying your health for.
  • eonblue
    Options
    Dane,

I still don't think you're eating enough, man! :)

But it's obviously working for you so keep up the good work.
  • brife17
    Options
    Tina thats what i thought too lol. but hey whatever works i guess. So Deb_ge what is the cabbage diet? never heard of that one sounds interesting.