How much weight can a person lose in a month?

Options
ellie666br
ellie666br Posts: 5 Member
How much weight can a person lose in a month? I read this article they said a person should only lose 8 pounds per month. But then I read another that said 20. (Man I hope that one is true) I'd like to lose my weight safely but I'm a brides maid at a wedding at the first of next month and two of my ex's will be there with there girlfriends and I'm going alone... So I'd really like to just look super amazing

Replies

• tryett
    tryett Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    How much you can safely lose depends on a number of things, including how much you have to lose overall. MFP recommends 2 pounds a week if you have more than 75 pounds to lose. If you have only twenty or so you will lose much less. Initially weight loss will be water and that will be about 3-5 pounds.
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    Depends how much a person has to lose, someone with a lot of weight would generally lose a lot more than someone with fairly little to lose.

1lb to 2lb is generally a good guide, 1lb for someone with a lesser amount to lose and up to 2lb for someone with a lot. There will be people who consistently lose less than the average or more, but as long as the long term trend is down its all good.

Best way to look super amazing is to be fully confident in yourself regardless of what weight you are. Stand tall, proud and happy.

• tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    I see from another post you are about 152lb at 5 ft 9, you are already in the healthy weight range for your height. You are not going to lose a lot of weight quickly OP, you need to take things slowly and make sure you are eating sufficient, 5lb per week in your first week of loss was a lot and isn't likely to be replicated in the coming weeks. You don't want to lose lean body mass for the sake of big and fast weight losses, you will end up skinny fat.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    If your wanting to lose mostly fat then the recommendations are:
    • No more than 1% of your body weight loss per week (plus adequate protein and strength training)*
      Then for sustainability it's
    • 0.5 lbs per week if you have less than 25 lbs to lose
    • 1 lb per week if you have 25-50 lbs to lose
    • 1.5 lb per week if you have 50-75 lbs to lose
    • 2 lb per week if you have 75 + lbs to lose

*This recommendation comes from the fact that your body will only use so much of it's fat stores a day (like 30 cal per lb body fat). After which point it starts using lean body mass (muscle, organs, anything that's not fat).

If your wanting to look your best, pick a reasonable rate of loss, eat around 0.8 g per lb bodyweight protein, and don't forget to do some strength training.
  • Annahbananas
    Annahbananas Posts: 284 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I lose an average of 12 a month. However, every month it's being monitored by three doctors (primary, endocrinologist, and nephrologist) with lab work every two months

I'm losing that because I started at 302 at 5'6. At a 5'9 frame and 152 I don think any doctor will think anything over 8 for you a month would be ok..I mean according to the charts you are good at weight
  • Annahbananas
    edited July 2016
    Options
    tqyj6tf894s3.png

According to bmi you already are at an ideal weight. If you feel flabby, I'd tone up at a gym...but yeah at your weight I doubt you'll lose much weight
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    tqyj6tf894s3.png

According to bmi you already are at an ideal weight. If you feel flabby, I'd tone up at a gym...but yeah at your weight I doubt you'll lose much weight

Can I ask where you got this particular bmi chart? Its the first one I have seen that puts me in the healthy range. Im usually in the 'overweight.'
  • kpeterson539
    kpeterson539 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    mkakids wrote: »
    tqyj6tf894s3.png

Can I ask where you got this particular bmi chart? Its the first one I have seen that puts me in the healthy range. Im usually in the 'overweight.'

I actually thought the same thing when I first saw this chart. I then realized I was looking at the color coding incorrectly. :( I really wanted to be in the healthy range.
  • Annahbananas
    Options
    Honestly, I just googled bmi chart. All kinds of charts
  • Annahbananas
    Options
    This one shows you're healthy range too epxe4uitzpld.gif
  • ellie666br
    ellie666br Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone!! I'm gana work more on toning. I'm making sure not to go under my calories. The reason I want to lose so much weight is because I talked to my doctor about me losing so much and he said that's ok. But I had forgot to ask him how fast. I really appreciate all of yall though :) if you want to add me I could use the extra motivation and I'm also a good motivater! :)
  • LisaKay91
    LisaKay91 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I lost around 24 pounds in 30 days! I am creeping up on 60 days (10 days from now) and I have lost 32lbs. I am hoping to lose another 3lbs in the next 10 days! I am morbidly obese though so the less weight you have to lose the harder it may be because of your BMR.
  • vikinglander
    vikinglander Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    Enjoy the wedding...and forget about your ex's. Never look back.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,412 MFP Moderator
    Options
    ellie666br wrote: »
    Thank you everyone!! I'm gana work more on toning. I'm making sure not to go under my calories. The reason I want to lose so much weight is because I talked to my doctor about me losing so much and he said that's ok. But I had forgot to ask him how fast. I really appreciate all of yall though :) if you want to add me I could use the extra motivation and I'm also a good motivater! :)

Fast and toning (aka cutting body fat) do not go together well. Pretty much what it means is you want to cut fat and maintain muscle mass so you see large decreases in body fat. Generally, you achieve this by having a small to moderate deficit ( 10 to 15% below maintenance levels), adequate protein (~ .6g to .8g per lb of weight) and a good resistance program, like the one below. When you aggressively dut calories, it makes it harder to sustain nutritional requirements.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you#latest