Husband feels hungry and dizzy constantly.

Options
My husband and I started going on a diet together a little over 2 weeks ago. He basically only eats what I give him and I have been logging his food intake separately. I'm doing pretty well, but he isn't. MFP says he should eat 1940 calories a day to lose 1.5 lbs a week. He's 6-2 tall and weighs about 250 lbs. The problem is that he's constantly hungry and dizzy even though I make sure he hits the protein mark with tuna and chicken, for example. He does drink some of his calories in beer rather than eat more food on the weekends, but he doesn't feel any better during the week.
We used to eat a lot of white bread and have extra snacks after dinner. Now it's salads and chicken and veggie burgers. He's hungry immediately after meals, too. We thought his body would adjust, but it hasn't yet. Are we doing something wrong? My food diary is public and he eats pretty much the same things I eat, only a bit more. Thank you!

Replies

• sashayoung72
    sashayoung72 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    does he work hard? my husband can eat 3000 a day a lose because his job is that physical.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Up his calories. My husband started at virtually the same stats and sedentary and did well at 2200-2300.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Is he working out? Does he have his activity level too low?
    My husband loses weight eating around 2500, because he has an active job.
  • BeverlyMarsh1986
    BeverlyMarsh1986 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    He sits most of the time. His job is mentally demanding, but not physically. He doesn't exercise much... especially not when dizzy. So you think MFP is a little off with the recommended calories?
  • Enjcg5
    Enjcg5 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Is he on any medication?
  • BeverlyMarsh1986
    Options
    No, he's not on any medication. Every couple of days he takes the One A Day for Men vitamin pill, if we remember.
  • magicpickles
    magicpickles Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Maybe a 1.5lb weightloss a week is too much?
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    ponycyndi wrote: »
    I would start at a half pound loss goal. After a week or two, if he's feeling ok, increase it to 1 lb.

I ate at maintenance for 3-4 days when I started, just because I was trying to break bad habits.

This is a great piece of advice!
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    ponycyndi wrote: »
    I would start at a half pound loss goal. After a week or two, if he's feeling ok, increase it to 1 lb.

I ate at maintenance for 3-4 days when I started, just because I was trying to break bad habits.

^ This. Increase his calories.
  • BeverlyMarsh1986
    Options
    Yes, I'm weighing his food. I just switched him to 1lbs weight loss a week and now he gets 2190 calories a day. I hope that helps!
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    In addition to the protein you mention, is he eating carbs and oil/fats?
  • Abby2205
    Abby2205 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Also is he getting enough fluids?
  • Enjcg5
    Enjcg5 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Yes fluid! Can be dehydrated.
  • BeverlyMarsh1986
    Options
    We did a blood test a few months ago and he had low Vitamin D. That should be back to normal, though. Everything else was fine. He does have high blood pressure naturally. I have low blood pressure naturally. Does that make a difference?! I have cut out most of the sugar in our diets. Sometimes we eat a yogurt with a few grams in it, but nothing else, really. Yes, we have carbs and some fats, too. Whole grain flatbread, whole grain buns with veggie burgers, and I put seeds in our salads and cook with a small amount of olive oil. We also eat an egg a day.
  • BeverlyMarsh1986
    Options
    Oh, and he drinks like a crazy person. ;) Always has. Several bottles of water a day. I'm the exact opposite - have to force myself to remember.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    We did a blood test a few months ago and he had low Vitamin D. That should be back to normal, though. Everything else was fine. He does have high blood pressure naturally. I have low blood pressure naturally. Does that make a difference?! I have cut out most of the sugar in our diets. Sometimes we eat a yogurt with a few grams in it, but nothing else, really. Yes, we have carbs and some fats, too. Whole grain flatbread, whole grain buns with veggie burgers, and I put seeds in our salads and cook with a small amount of olive oil. We also eat an egg a day.

Dietary changes can change the blood work a bit. If he's suddenly low sodium intake, that could alter blood pressure. If he's drinking a lot of water, that could alter electrolytes. It wouldn't be bad to have the blood work repeated, but it sounds like it could just be too low calorie for him. Does your local pharmacy have one of those blood pressure machines?
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    Sounds like too few calories for such a big man. I'm 4 inches shorter, and started at 175 lbs. MFP put me on 1810 calories. I'm sure he needs over 2000.