I'm new to protein powder...questions?

Options
I want to buy unflavoured undenatured protein powder, because all the flavoured protein shakes are way to high in sugar (usually around 20g sugar per serving!)

What will mix well with it that is low sugar but taste okay?

Thanks

Replies

• MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    One note: I ate chicken breast grilled with just a spray of pam. Made enough for 4 days. Half a breast gives me more protein than a shake, tastes better, and 100% kept me more full for longer. Food for thought.
    I also love boiled eggs, beans, and lentils.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,643 Member
    Options
    Most people seem to shoot for a good quality whey protein powder to meet the criteria you express.

There are also lots of protein powders that use artificial sweeteners as well. Maybe one of those will meet your criteria and still taste enjoyable?
  • justlosingtheweight
    justlosingtheweight Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Most people seem to shoot for a good quality whey protein powder to meet the criteria you express.

There are also lots of protein powders that use artificial sweeteners as well. Maybe one of those will meet your criteria and still taste enjoyable?

I've been searching for flavoured ones but can't seem to find any sold in the UK, I might just buy the unflavoured one and give it a go :) I'm getting bored of eating the same food for protein and cant really afford to keep buying meat, so powder seems like a pretty good idea :D
  • justlosingtheweight
    Options
    One note: I ate chicken breast grilled with just a spray of pam. Made enough for 4 days. Half a breast gives me more protein than a shake, tastes better, and 100% kept me more full for longer. Food for thought.
    I also love boiled eggs, beans, and lentils.

Yeah I've been eating chicken breast for the past 3 days with stir fry vegetables, but today o just couldn't eat anymore of it lol, I'm going to try include tuna and eggs and stuff in my diet until I find a good protein powder that doesn't cost too much
  • Linzon
    Linzon Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I mix my powder with PB2, cocoa powder, and a splash of vanilla extract and mix it with a cup of unsweetened coconut milk and a cup of water. If I wasn't using a sweetened powder I'd add some maple syrup for sweetness. Once I've mixed it up I put it in the freezer for about 30 minutes to thicken it up even more.

Personally I find this more filling than half a chicken breast as a snack, especially as I can sip at it for a good hour while the chicken is gone in much less time than that :) Plus it's nice if I'm low on protein but also in the mood for something sweet!
  • justlosingtheweight
    Options
    Linzon wrote: »
    I mix my powder with PB2, cocoa powder, and a splash of vanilla extract and mix it with a cup of unsweetened coconut milk and a cup of water. If I wasn't using a sweetened powder I'd add some maple syrup for sweetness. Once I've mixed it up I put it in the freezer for about 30 minutes to thicken it up even more.

Personally I find this more filling than half a chicken breast as a snack, especially as I can sip at it for a good hour while the chicken is gone in much less time than that :) Plus it's nice if I'm low on protein but also in the mood for something sweet!

Thanks that's great! Definitely going to try it :) thank you
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I want to buy unflavoured undenatured protein powder, because all the flavoured protein shakes are way to high in sugar (usually around 20g sugar per serving!)

What will mix well with it that is low sugar but taste okay?

Thanks

There is a reason by protein powders have sugar (mainly dextrose and maladextrin). Fast acting sugar will causethe body to release insulin and stimulate muscle protein synthesis. This will allow your body to uptake on nutrients like protein and rebuild muscle. The quick spike is beneficial so your body doesnt have to use the amino acids on other processes.

Having said that, protein timing is less important to those who are not very lean and those who are not highly trained. And in the end, a good protein powder is the one you enjoy. But I wouldnt even buy one unless you struggle to get adequate protein.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    One more thing, there are literally like 40 to 50 sources of proteins. If you are only eating one or two, then you need to expand your horizon. Some examples: beef, fish, chicken, turkey, bison, venison, seitan, soy, tofu, legumes, and so much more.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    it's pretty hard to know what will 'taste great' to another person. it really really really annoys me when i see it on package labelling too.

i use vanilla whey protein. initially i had trouble with the slightly barf flavour that any whey has, so i started dosing my shakes heavily with plain, unsweetened yogurt. not the greek kind, which a) tastes like spackle and b) doesn't have the sour bite i was looking for to overpower the whey.

so then from there, i started adding frozen fruit to tone down the yogurt tang just a bit. it works for me but i think shakes and smoothies are highly subjective and preference-based. kind of thing even best friends probably shouldn't share/make for each other.

you would also be AMAZED at what you can get used to and even come to 'require' once you've reached that used-to-it-point. i kind of have a 'you bought it, you use it' mentality and it's certainly surprised me the kinds of things i find myself 'missing' when a brand i thought i hated finally runs out and i move myself to something else.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »
    Any whey with 20g of sugar is not really a protein shake LOL. That's basically 20g of carbs to go along with the protein.

That's a ridiculous amount if the goal is to consume protein.

If I were you I'd look at Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard. It's 24g protein or so, and 1g sugar and 3g carbohydrate. The vast majority of calories come from protein.

I dont thing GNC is in the UK.. i could be wrong.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    SideSteel wrote: »
    Any whey with 20g of sugar is not really a protein shake LOL. That's basically 20g of carbs to go along with the protein.

That's a ridiculous amount if the goal is to consume protein.

If I were you I'd look at Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard. It's 24g protein or so, and 1g sugar and 3g carbohydrate. The vast majority of calories come from protein.

I dont thing GNC is in the UK.. i could be wrong.

Good point.

Then check PEScience
  • j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    myprotein.com think they're based in the UK. Strawberry Cream & Chocolate Mint are good.
  • nettiklive
    nettiklive Posts: 206 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I struggle with getting enough protein and I've also hated every protein shake and bar I ever tried because I found the taste disgusting. I don't like any artificial flavorings in general. I've tried unflavored protein with kefir but still hated it. Finally I figured out that I just don't like shakes and smoothies and other thick drinks period, and it's harder for me to get a glass of something liquid I don't like down than to just eat it. I bought regular Trader Joe's chocolate whey protein, and tried adding it to plain Greek yogurt that I eat every day - and voila! Couldn't taste the protein and didn't mind the taste at all, it was just sort of like chocolatey yogurt. It's not too sweet at all, doesn't taste fake and isn't expensive.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I alternate between Optimum nutrition and Quest protein powders. Both have decent amounts of protein (24g) and 1-2g sugar and taste great.
    Have the ones you've seen with 20g of sugar :worried: been meal replacement shakes? Either that or they're low quality protein powders..
  • HiCarol1
    HiCarol1 Posts: 34 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    When it comes to protein shakes you don't really need something more than 20g/serving. Studies have shown that as little as 10g of protein post workout has a positive effect on muscle healing. Anything more than 20 starts to have a downward trend. Hope this helps. (Sorry I don't have the articles available but a quick search on PubMed will show studies with similar results)
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    HiCarol1 wrote: »
    When it comes to protein shakes you don't really need something more than 20g/serving. Studies have shown that as little as 10g of protein post workout has a positive effect on muscle healing. Anything more than 20 starts to have a downward trend. Hope this helps. (Sorry I don't have the articles available but a quick search on PubMed will show studies with similar results)

It's higher than this most likely. See research by Stu Philips and leucine threshold.
  • cronus70
    cronus70 Posts: 189 Member
    Options

I've been searching for flavoured ones but can't seem to find any sold in the UK, I might just buy the unflavoured one and give it a go :) I'm getting bored of eating the same food for protein and cant really afford to keep buying meat, so powder seems like a pretty good idea :D

MyProtein do quality, value for money protein powders and they also do calorie free flavdrops. My preference is an unflavoured Micellar Casien with the strawberry flavour drops.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    cronus70 wrote: »

MyProtein do quality, value for money protein powders and they also do calorie free flavdrops. My preference is an unflavoured Micellar Casien with the strawberry flavour drops.

I was just gonna say...love their flavor drops.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    My favorite things to do with plain protein powder are pancakes, and savory breads. I don't like shakes, and I mostly don't make anything sweet.