Anyone else been blind to their own fat?

2»

Replies

• dykask
    dykask Posts: 800 Member
    Same story here. When I was at my heaviest (77kg) I knew I was big, or how I preferred to call myself - chubby. I thought that when I reach below 65 I'll look ok and feel great about myself. Well, I'm at 61 now, I still have 6 kg to go and I feel really fat. It's not like I don't see change - I see I'm smaller but I think I just pay more attention to fat bits.
    I think that before I was trying not to pay attention to how I look. I didn't look properly in the mirror and I never looked at myself in underwear or naked. Now I keep analysing and pointing out fat bits to myself. I'm not sure what to do about it except keep losing :(

That is exactly how I feel! My max weight was 106kg, now I'm almost 90kg. When I started I thought this would be my goal, now my goal is more like 80kg. (80kg would still be a BMI of 26 for me.) Anyway, it is almost like I'm looking harder to find the fat.

Wow, 77kg to 61kg! That is a big change! I hope you can take some pride in that change. Some of you women are really tough

• dykask
    edited July 2016
    I'm not sure that I was blind too being fat more resigned to 'living' with it and trying to ignore the severity of my obesity.

I topped out at 46.8 BMI OMG and only realized this recently the other day answering a question on the forums. I had no idea it was that bad. Sure I struggled to walk, tie up shoes etc but the amount of denial I must have been in was staggering.

Now at 18.5 BMI I have the opposite problem of still feeling like the 'fat' woman, such is the fickle nature of human perception.

I look back now at the rare photos of me at my heaviest (278 lbs) and have a feeling of such sadness and regret for the time I guess I wasted lumbering around so big, unhealthy and definitely unhappy. Photos of me now at 110 lbs still cause me to inwardly squirm and examine for minute flaws and bulges....but that's my negative body image talking.

@dykask I get what you are saying about the 'ongoing' extent of the fat that you didn't realize you had. Those A'Ha moments of knowing you have farther to go than you initially thought can be quite demoralizing but you seem to have the ever changing transition of weight loss under your belt.

I'm so humbled. I can't even begin to image what it must have been like for you and the effort you put into losing your weight. My worst BMI was 35, but even that was horrifying. To move from 46.8 BMI to 18.5. WOW!

I hope you can control yourself now because at BMI of 18.5 there can't be anything really fat about you. That is my son's BMI and frankly if he lost a single KG it would look really bad.

I think you also hit on a key point. I found something that is working for me and that is driving me. I feel a little ashamed about it because as a man I shouldn't be so concerned about my body. It isn't weigh so much driving me as I just don't want people to see me as fat anymore. I'm still really focused on getting rid of the fat.
  • dykask
    edited July 2016
    mkakids wrote: »
    When I started losing weight, I thought I would be happy with my body when I lost 25lbs.

I've already lost 75+ and still think I need 10-20more.

It is good to hear so many feel the same way. While I do have weight to lose I'm also concerned about how obsessed I'm becoming about it.
  • dykask
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    dykask wrote: »
    I hope that answers the question. What I haven't done is a really good job of measuring what I'm eating. I'm more concerned about managing my hunger.

Focusing on protein and fiber helps me feel fuller on less calories. Fat takes care of itself, lol. To find out how much protein and fiber I'm getting, I use a digital food scale for the vast majority of my meals. I use the calorie budget I get from MFP, and play around with my macros.

Understanding satiety: feeling full after a meal

...Tips on how to feel fuller

So how can we best try to enhance these feelings of fullness to help us control how much we eat? Here are some top tips for helping you feel fuller:
    1. Foods high in protein seem to make us feel fuller than foods high in fat or carbohydrate, so including some protein at every meal should help keep you satisfied. Foods high in protein include meats such as chicken, ham or beef, fish, eggs, beans and pulses.
    2. If you are watching your weight, opt for lower fat versions, using leaner cuts of meat, cutting off visible fat and avoiding the skin on poultry as this will help reduce the energy density of the diet, which can help to enhance satiety (see below).
    3. Foods that are high in fibre may also enhance feelings of fullness so try to include plenty of high-fibre foods in the diet such as wholegrain bread and cereals, beans and pulses and fruit and vegetables.
    4. Alcohol seems to stimulate appetite in the short-term and therefore drinking alcohol is likely to encourage us to eat more. Alcoholic beverages can make you forget about your intentions to eat healthily by making you lose your inhibitions. Alcoholic drinks are also calorific, so you should cut down on alcohol consumption if you are trying to control your weight.
    5. The ‘energy density’ of food has a strong influence on feelings of fullness or satiety. Energy density is the amount of energy (or calories) per gram of food. Lower energy density foods provide less energy per gram of food so you can eat more of them without consuming too many calories. Low energy density foods include fruit and vegetables, foods with lots of water added when cooking such as soups and stews, and lower fat foods. Click here for more information on energy density.

Read more: http://www.nutrition.org.uk/healthyliving/fuller/understanding-satiety-feeling-full-after-a-meal.html

There are many good tips here, thank you. For myself, I accidently found that cutting refined sugar has really cut my hunger. Two years ago I was trying everything to control hunger and finally the hunger drove me into just maintaining my weight. It wasn't until I just dumped most of the processed foods that I realized I wasn't more hungry because of it. I might be more sensitive than others to refined sugar.

Now that the driving hunger is gone I think these types of tips will actually work for me.
  • HippySkoppy
    HippySkoppy Posts: 725 Member
    @dykask - Firstly Thanks for the kind words. The journey was long but very worth it.

I'd like to ask you though - Why feel ashamed about the feelings driving your weight loss. Gee whiz, men have as much right to be concerned about their body and the achieving the most desirable aesthetics as women. I don't think that those feelings a vain or superfluous.

For me the driving forces of weight loss changed and evolved throughout the process. Firstly there were just purely goals of comfort ie: I really would like to see my toes again. Then came various fitness goals as the weight dropped. I wanted more out of life than I had while in the 'confines' of obesity.

I set goals that were quite ambitious for my age approx. 50 in that I wanted extreme bushwalking experiences and to learn how to climb. I then needed not only endurance but agility and strength....all this was extremely empowering and not at all shallow....there wearing of smaller clothes and getting compliments was a side benefit ;)
  • dykask
    @HippySkoppy thanks for the encouragement. It is actually nice to hear it doesn't sound too vain. I need to find a balance too. Providing for family and looking good for my family. I have a 12 year old daughter and I don't want her to be ashamed to point me out to her friends, that kind of thing. I'm probably a little oversensitive because I didn't start having children until I was 40! I still want to look like a father, not like a fat grandfather. :blush:

It is great that you didn't let age stop you for hitting your goals! 4 years ago I was having trouble keeping up with my kids. I felt sluggish, I had border line high blood pressure and it looked like I was developing diabetes. I could see my toes but I was well on the way to hiding them! So started with 8 minute tabata workouts and just kept building.
  • angemartinez
    angemartinez Posts: 2 Member
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    I think a positive body dysmorphia is more common than one would imagine

I completely agree with this! I gained 20 lbs in the 18 years since high school and I felt like I looked the same. But, I hated having my picture taken because I always said I wasn't "photogenic" and I felt like the picture didn't look like me. Yeah, the problem was NOT the camera