Does it matter how much protein/ carbs?

Options
You have or which foods you eat and drink? Or is it just about sticking to your calorie goal for the day? I'm still in diet mode but want to maintain really I'm gradually upping my daily cal goal but wondered if it matters if I eat say cereal or toast for breakfast or a protein bar/shake? I can't stomach eggs first thing in the morning - many thanks x

Replies

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Its a personal thing, I find I need to get adequate protein to keep me feeling full and also my workouts are affected - I do a lot of running and lifting and my muscles need the protein for stamina/strength. I aim for 0.8g of protein per lb weight (I weigh 130lbs so I aim for 104g or protein minimum per day), I don't reach that every day but I aim for it most days and always feel stronger and more energised when I have taken in enough.

The only other macro I keep an eye on is sugar, again thats a personal choice.

It doesn't matter what you eat - if that satisfies/fills you and you are eating maintenance calories all will be well.

Just do what works for you.
  • killdontmurder
    killdontmurder Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I don't worry about carbs or protein. Mainly, I was told to worry about fat, saturated fat especially. If you eat the right portions (counting the calories will properly portion out your meals) and watch the fat, you'll be good. Then again, that's just my opinion.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    For weight loss macro composition doesn't matter (although if eating close to your favorite macro ratio may help with diet compliance).

For health, a balanced diet - not deficient in a single macro and with a good variety (to give you a range of vitamins and minerals) is important - but even then the acceptable ranges are massive and striving for "the best" will give reducing returns as you get closer to that ideal.

TL:DNR - don't worry about it.
  • michellesz
    michellesz Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Calories in vs. calories out whether you choose to eat them or drink them. Protein is an important building block of bones, muscles, cartilage, skin, and blood. I personally strive for high protein. Carbohydrates provide energy required for your daily activities. Apart from providing energy, they also have other benefits. By personal choice, I try to eat them earlier in the day or in moderation if later and avoid white starchy carbs as I just know how my body reacts to them.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    The macros depends on your goals really. If you lift weights, do a lot of exercise etc.. then protein needs may be higher than the normal recommendation (mine are). But protein needs are still essential while eating at a deficit as well. Carbs and enough of them go hand in hand with endurance athletes or those in training or that that their exercise focus is on running, biking, etc.. I run so it essential I have enough carbs as well.

But moreover, unless you have health issues or needing some special needs for your diet structure, just eating well balanced meals is enough to maintain your good health and weight.
  • kportmanshark
    kportmanshark Posts: 34 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Try oatmeal in the morning with high fiber and protein in it. Look for something low sugar. Some even have zero. Make it with water rather than milk.

As far as meals in general:
    If I eat carb heavy meals I find i'm starving inbetween meals. So i try to keep lots of protein. Calories are calories, but, I think the trick to being thin is choosing the type of calories that leave you feeling full the longest.

Like for lunch a big salad (with light dressing) to fill up my tummy followed by like 8oz of chicken will keep me happy until dinner. If I eat only 4oz of chicken (like a sandwich) and more carbs beside it I'll need a snack at like 3.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,014 Member
    Options
    I don't worry about carbs. I do try to make sure I get enough protien. I would eat whatever you prefer for breakfast. I like to eat eggs in the morning and I find that a lot of protien for breakfast keeps me full through the morning. That's important for me on days when I work since I have a desk job and don't want to snack at work. But I also eat oatmeal some days. I gt the kind with high fiber. And lately I've had half a bagel with cream cheese and smoked salmon. On the weekends it doesn't matter as much and I often just have coffee for breakfast. Whatever works for you to keep you at maintenance is best.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Yes it matters for health and nutrition what your entire diet is composed of.
    No it doesn't matter what choices you make at certain times of day.

Protein is essential for health but the requirements are individual:
    In a deficit higher levels are muscle sparing.
    If you do endurance cardio then higher than RDA makes sense.
    If you lift heavy weights then higher again makes sense.

At maintenance you really shouldn't need to micro manage your diet and macros unless you have particular health issues or advanced training goals.

• lauraemily84
    lauraemily84 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses :) I am looking to maintain but loose fat ideally, I don't have much fat to loose but a bit! I don't do any mega work outs I just do fitness DVDs, YouTube videos, general dancing and aerobics and some weights now x
  • lauraemily84
    Options
    Sorry for asking a silly question - is oatmeal the same as porridge ? Oats? X
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    Options
    Sorry for asking a silly question - is oatmeal the same as porridge ? Oats? X

Yep us in the UK call it porridge, elsewhere it's oatmeal.
  • jordiblu
    jordiblu Posts: 145 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I'm a big believer in eating tons of leafy vegetables and healthy fats to fully satiate you
    I'm 80%plant based and eat eggs and fish but not as the majority of my plate
    I also eat an entire avocado each meal (in breakfast omelette in lunch salad and in dinner or just as dessert with stevia and cinnamon
    I don't eat any gluten dairy or sugar
    The only carbs I eat is quinoa and I have great cinnamon quinoa muffin recipe if you want
    I also have avocado cacoa pudding for dessert recipe
    I eat only whole foods nothing processed and no chemicals
    Drink a ton Of lemon water (2+liters a day) and medicinal herbal teas
  • lauraemily84
    Options
    Wow that's very healthy x
  • xWondertje
    xWondertje Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    That doesn't sound healthy at all.. it sounds very extreme, not to mention that drinking 2 litres + of water each day, is way more than any average human needs. That whole "2 litres" per day is a misunderstood myth. It's meant to include the water we get from food also, which is quite a lot. Not to mention, drinking too much water can lead to disturbances in the bodies signal system and you'll lose the ability to let the body feel thirst when it needs it.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    Options
    jordiblu wrote: »
    I'm a big believer in eating tons of leafy vegetables and healthy fats to fully satiate you
    I'm 80%plant based and eat eggs and fish but not as the majority of my plate
    I also eat an entire avocado each meal (in breakfast omelette in lunch salad and in dinner or just as dessert with stevia and cinnamon
    I don't eat any gluten dairy or sugar
    The only carbs I eat is quinoa and I have great cinnamon quinoa muffin recipe if you want
    I also have avocado cacoa pudding for dessert recipe
    I eat only whole foods nothing processed and no chemicals
    Drink a ton Of lemon water (2+liters a day) and medicinal herbal teas

Just because you choose to eat that way doesn't mean the rest of us who enjoy all foods are doing it the wrong way... as above has mentioned, your 'diet' does sound extreme but if you can see yourself eating that way for the rest of your life then that's fine. We all have to find what works for us and what we can keep doing consistently.
  • Jcl81
    Jcl81 Posts: 154 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    General answer, it depends on the individual and what their goals are and the approach they take to get those goals.

Reality, there is no yes and no answer. Many ways " to skin a cat!"
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    For me macros matter for satiety. I don't really care more than that though!