Help: I need to lose fat AND muscle!

Options

I've gained 3 stone/ 42 lbs/ 21 kilos which I'm trying to lose. However I have the following problem...

I seem to have gained fat around my stomach yet muscle on my thighs, my thighs are solid. Very little jiggle. I've always had larger thighs which I generally liked, it complimented my hourglass/pear shape. However now I have very bulk muscular legs, I'm also 5"1/5 so I'm looking quite umpalumpa!!!

What techniques should I use to lose my stomach fat and my muscle thighs? Has anyone else had these issues when they've gained weight?

I don't know if it's worth adding but I want to work out in the morning (via fitness blender for busy people), I've been doing research and I still don't know whether to eat before a workout and what to eat.

Help would be greatly appreciated

Many thanks guys!

KrysiaCA

Replies

• Kdp2015
    Kdp2015 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Why don't you concentrate on fat loss and then see how you feel about what's left? You might be surprised by the results
  • JLT14690
    JLT14690 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Run! Running will lean you out while burning the fat. I run 4 times a week for around 40 min each time and I've lost so much weight - especially in my tummy and thighs. Eating after a workout is better, first thing in the morning on an empty tummy for example. Just take it slow and alowly build up your cardio and perhaps stay away from any resistance/weight training. Drink plenty of water and eat lots of good carbs and protein. Good luck!
  • KrysiaCA
    KrysiaCA Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    JLT14690 wrote: »
    Run! Running will lean you out while burning the fat. I run 4 times a week for around 40 min each time and I've lost so much weight - especially in my tummy and thighs. Eating after a workout is better, first thing in the morning on an empty tummy for example. Just take it slow and alowly build up your cardio and perhaps stay away from any resistance/weight training. Drink plenty of water and eat lots of good carbs and protein. Good luck!

Thanks for the information JLT!

How long did it take for you to see progress? Is this treadmill running or outdoors? Are you advising to work out on an empty stomach and eat straight after?

• RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    KrysiaCA wrote: »
    JLT14690 wrote: »

Thanks for the information JLT!

How long did it take for you to see progress? Is this treadmill running or outdoors? Are you advising to work out on an empty stomach and eat straight after?

Running is a great workout, but you can't spot reduce. Fat will come off from wherever it wants to, with the midsection normally being the last place. In order to lose fat and muscle you need to be in a caloric deicit....nothing more, nothing less.

Like what was said above, just worry about overall fat loss and see what you get. You may be surprised by the results. Oh, and please don't ignore resistance training. It's very helpful in reducing BF%.

caloric deficit + cardio + resistance training = the aesthetics you're probably really after.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Concentrate on the fat loss, you really don't want to be losing more muscle. As you lose weight your thighs will reduce in size, as will the rest of your body.

Ref eating before/after workout - it wont make one iota of difference when you eat, its the total calories consumed that matter.

I eat before my workout as that fuels my body. When we eat is down to personal preference.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Are you young? What you think is solid thigh muscle could very well be just the blessing of youth not showing the layer of fat obviously. I know when I was the size I am now in my early 20s I looked very firm but I still had excess body fat. There are very few women who unwittingly end up with thighs that are over-muscled, it takes effort.

So just concentrate on losing body fat overall, don't stop strength training, you're not going to make your thighs bigger whilst eating at a deficit.

Also reiterating that meal timing and working out fasted makes no difference, it's purely personal preference.
  • DresdenSinn
    DresdenSinn Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    You want to lose muscle?! Are you kidding?! You don't want that, you'll be losing plenty of muscle in your golden years
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I could tell you how to lose muscle in your legs but it's terrible advice. (Something along the lines of getting around in a wheelchair). Take it from this fifty-something grandma. Firm, muscular legs are wonderful.