Pain while running push through it?

Options
cph4883
cph4883 Posts: 11 Member
Hi all, I'm new to the community portion of mfp so if this is in the wrong place I apologize. I am currently on week 4 of couch 2 5k and it's been going great. Until this past week when I started to have a chin splint feeling in my leg only it is to the side of my chin on my inner calf. Not sure if I should back off and let it heal or push through it. My run today was pretty painful. Any suggested stretches?

Replies

• mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    Sharp pain = stop

dull pain or discomfort = depends, but you can probably run through it.
  • SassyMommasaurus
    SassyMommasaurus Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I'd go to the doctor and have that checked out.
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    Do not run through pain. Take 2wks off and switch to cycling. Stay off roads, cement. Trails, sand, grass have less impact. Shin splints can easily turn into stress reactions and then can turn into stress fractures (broken bones) requiring months off.
  • kendahlj
    kendahlj Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    cph4883 wrote: »
    Hi all, I'm new to the community portion of mfp so if this is in the wrong place I apologize. I am currently on week 4 of couch 2 5k and it's been going great. Until this past week when I started to have a chin splint feeling in my leg only it is to the side of my chin on my inner calf. Not sure if I should back off and let it heal or push through it. My run today was pretty painful. Any suggested stretches?

Chin splints are the worst...
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Sounds like posteromedial shin splints. I used to get these when I was pushing myself too hard. They became really painful and took a long time to heal. Pushing through those could have lead to tearing of the interosseous membrane (holds the tibia and fibula together). Can you see someone to get them assessed and diagnosed properly? Whatever it is causing it, getting a proper diagnosis will be the first step in fixing it. Some pains you can push through, others I really wouldn't risk (only because I've been dumb enough to do it).
  • JLT14690
    JLT14690 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I agree with nutmegoreo, i have been running for the last 2 months and made the stupid decision to go too hard, too fast and suffered "runners knee" in both knees as well as splints. Rest is the only thing that you can do. Over doing it will only make them worse and thus the pain will only continue. Do you have supportive footwear? And do you take any supplements for joints etc, such as glucosamine or chrondroitin? I found that when i started taking these supplements as well as having my feet assessed, that i no longer suffered the joint pains. I guess its dofferent for each person, but its worth a try. Good luck!
  • oocdc2
    oocdc2 Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    mkakids wrote: »
    Sharp pain = stop

dull pain or discomfort = depends, but you can probably run through it.

+1
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Take a few days off and see if that helps, and scale back your intensity. Ice your shins after running. If your calves are tight roll them over a tennis ball. Shin splits are really common in new runners usually from doing too much too soon. Are you incorporating any stretching or strength training?

Tell us about your shoes. Were you fitted for shoes by a running store? Improperly fitting shoes and worn out shoes commonly cause shin splits (and other injuries). Going to your local running store and getting fitted for new shoes could eliminate the shin splints entirely.
    runnersworld.com/store-finder
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    Agree with pomegranatecloud. Probably should take a week or two off and switch to stationary bike. Running shoes are a great idea after you are healed. It's a bit of a pricey purchase, but it's your feet, and way less expensive than going to a doctor or missing work because you've injured your legs. At a good running store, they evaluate your gait and then can fit you into the proper shoes.
  • lizzieloo934
    lizzieloo934 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Also consider prevention:

-Make sure you are running in proper shoes. Go to a running store and have a gait analysis done.
    -A proper warm up and cool down is important
    -Good stretching afterward holding each stretch for at least 30 seconds.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options

-Make sure you are running in proper shoes. Go to a running store and have a gait analysis done.

+1000

Figure out what is causing it now before it becomes serious.

Good luck.
  • owieprone
    owieprone Posts: 217 Member
    Options

do some yoga afterwards, if you've never done it before, go to a few classes, get the gist then youtube yoga for runners. don't do it straight from youtube as you need to make sure your posture is correct and you're not doing more damage than good. I never thought i'd get into yoga (i don't do the chanting guff) but it's really helped with keeping me stretchy after 2 hours of hard intensity karate and running.

I concur with others saying bring your running back abit or cross-sport to something like cycling, skating etc. You probably need to back up in both intensity (speed/hills) and distance. Have a good 10 mins walking warm up with plyometric stretches before hand to make sure you're properly warmed up before even beginning to jog. And remember to only add in one thing at a time, distance or speed, not both.

Quality over quantity. Any good run no matter how short, is better than no run. And if you can't run, walk, and if you can't walk cycle and if you can't do that swim. There's always something else you can do while your shins recover to keep you at or close to your current physical condition.

good luck, get better soon.
  • Happysoul0317
    Happysoul0317 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Happens to me everytime I run. Takes two weeks to heal. I'd lay off as they can get much worse. I used to be able to run miles. Had to switch to cycling and hiking. That's just what it was. My body now is not what it was 10 years ago.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    definitely invest in properly fitted running shoes for your gait. I will make all the difference!
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options

This is good advice, but I would stop running until the symptoms subside.

When I first started running like 6-7 years ago I over did it and ended up with runners knee. Bad.

Now I have good shoes I got fitted for, I stretch before I run, warm up by walking first for 5 minutes, and then stretch after I get back.

Just rest and let yourself get better, or see a doc if you think it needs attention. Good luck!
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options

This. Pain is your body's way of tell you to stop. So stop. Shin splints don't just get better. You have to rest and then correct whatever is causing them. First look at your running form. Get it evaluated. There is a high probability that is the issue - and just jumping to something else like shoes or terrain can just delay your realization to that. If your running form is bad and you manage to make the shin splints go away, you will develop another issue down the road.
  • cph4883
    cph4883 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    kendahlj wrote: »

Chin splints are the worst...

Wow you're so cool. Thanks for reminding me why I stay off online boards like this. I really hope calling out my spelling error made you feel as special as you intended.

Thanks everyone else for the advice .... My SHIN splints feel fine after a few days of rest, ice and stretching. I do have fitted shoes.
  • socalrunner59
    socalrunner59 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Run your finger along the shin and press as you move down the shin. If you find a particular spot has a pronounced sharp pain, make a doctor appointment to get checked for a stress fracture.