Husband feels hungry and dizzy constantly.

Options

Replies

• BeverlyMarsh1986
    BeverlyMarsh1986 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Yes, we can check his blood pressure at the pharmacy. We will do that. We are usually just around the daily sodium limit or slightly above. We will try with slightly more calories. I just thought MFP would give us the right amount of calories. :)
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Yes, we can check his blood pressure at the pharmacy. We will do that. We are usually just around the daily sodium limit or slightly above. We will try with slightly more calories. I just thought MFP would give us the right amount of calories. :)

It's a computer algorithm, there's always room for inaccuracies!
  • BeverlyMarsh1986
    Options
    True. Thanks, everyone!
  • allenpriest
    allenpriest Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    ponycyndi wrote: »
    I would start at a half pound loss goal. After a week or two, if he's feeling ok, increase it to 1 lb.

I ate at maintenance for 3-4 days when I started, just because I was trying to break bad habits.

I ate at maintenance the first couple of months to start changing 25 years of bad habits and lost weight even then-simply because I was paying attention and making better choices. So i should say I planned to eat at maintenance then chose a small deficit. Then I increased the deficit over time.

That's part of the problem here. This has to be something he does. You can't do it for him. It has to be his choice and his lifestyle changes.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    Looking at your diary again, you always go over your sodium quota, and never reach your sugar quota. Too much sodium could be affecting blood pressure. Too little sugar could be robbing him of energy the body needs.

Just wondering how similar the two of you are. Is it really safe for him to be on the same program as you? Also, what is his age?
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    I would up his calories some
  • dizzieblondeuk
    dizzieblondeuk Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    There's several things potentially in play here. For sure, his suddenly low calorie level - in the early stages of weight loss, the drop from your 'normal' calories can be a total shock to the system, and of course he will feel hungry if he was eating 700+ (maybe 1000 more) calories more before starting to count and stick to MFP designated numbers. I agree with others who've said to raise the amount (by reducing the weight loss target) for a few weeks. I did this for the first two weeks (adjusted from 1.5lb to 1lb target). It helped with the transition, whilst keeping me on track.

It's also perhaps a psychological thing - if he's hungry immediately after a meal, that's not real hunger, but the result of years-long habits formed around his brain having a certain amount/type of food, and the feeling of satiety. Learning what a proper portion size is, and retraining the brain to looking at a plate of food and not reacting 'is that all?!' as opposed to 'this is my meal, which will fill me up adequately' is another of the long-term changes that is made, and takes time to kick in.

Finally, there's a chance that the kind of food and diet that works for you, and keeps you full and functioning, just isn't doing that for him. Cooking for two is always a balancing act, but perhaps switch between high protein meals and higher carb meals, and let him assess how he feels with both. Logic says that the high protein ones should do the trick with feeling full, but not everyone's the same. Lots of people lose weight with vastly different meal plans. I still think that increasing his calorie numbers will be the thing that helps him the most.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    We did a blood test a few months ago and he had low Vitamin D. That should be back to normal, though. Everything else was fine. He does have high blood pressure naturally. I have low blood pressure naturally. Does that make a difference?! I have cut out most of the sugar in our diets. Sometimes we eat a yogurt with a few grams in it, but nothing else, really. Yes, we have carbs and some fats, too. Whole grain flatbread, whole grain buns with veggie burgers, and I put seeds in our salads and cook with a small amount of olive oil. We also eat an egg a day.

Just curious, you said he had low vit D a couple months ago, but should be back to normal. You said he takes no medicine except a multi-vitamin "every couple days, "if he remembers". How do know the vit D issue is okay?
  • shellyb17
    shellyb17 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Has he had blood sugar levels tested?
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    It gives you the right amount. You just set your goal too aggressive. For some people 2lbs/week works.
  • BeverlyMarsh1986
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    Just curious, you said he had low vit D a couple months ago, but should be back to normal. You said he takes no medicine except a multi-vitamin "every couple days, "if he remembers". How do know the vit D issue is okay?

The doctor prescribed extra strength Vitamin D pills for a few weeks and told him to switch to the one-a-day pills once he is done. Plus, he spends a little more time outside this summer, because we now have a garden. We didn't get him re-tested, but we completed what the doctor told us.

We eat the same things every day, because I am the one who cooks. I figured it would be fine if he gets a bigger share of whatever I make for myself. I added an extra meal to his day yesterday that involves fruit and some carbs/protein. Hope that will help! He is definitely on board with this! And he's 33.

Yes, it seemed odd that he isn't feeling full even right after eating. It must be years of overeating. Keeping the sodium levels down is hard! Even carrots have sodium. Everything that adds any taste or makes cooking a bit faster/easier has sodium. We usually end up having calories left, but no fat/sodium/carbs. Then I don't know what else to eat or offer him. Thanks for all the suggestions!
  • ejbronte
    ejbronte Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    There are a nice number of conversations floating around MFP regarding sodium and salt: when I first started cooking, it was for my parents, both of whom were on sodium restricted diets, due to health concerns. So I've never gotten into the habit of cooking with salt. I used lots of spices, and specifically, I cook with wine (and spiced rum, but be careful with rum and fire!).
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    and I just need to state the obvious Where is his responsibility in all of this? Yes you do the cooking-and also the weighing and tracking of meals Shouldn't he at least be a ble to figure out a snack or two on his own?
  • refuseresist
    refuseresist Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    I get dizzy too. He will prbably do better if he eats more
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    Options
    Many people don't actually have an issue with sodium. Unless his doctor specifically told him to track sodium, I'd swap it out with Fiber and make sure he hits his fiber target every day - that will help with feeling full. Or you could swap Sugar for Fiber.
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    I haven't read anything and this isn't a dig at your husband because I don't know anything about him...but could he possibly be moaning so you'll give up?
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,659 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    We usually end up having calories left, but no fat/sodium/carbs. Then I don't know what else to eat or offer him. Thanks for all the suggestions!

To keep to your planned loss you should NOT have "calories" left.

You don't have to hit EVERY number right on the head.

In my view you should be looking at your protein target as a minimum. Unless you have kidney issues it won't hurt you to go over.

as long as fats remain between 20% and 35% of your total caloric intake most of the time and as long as your saturated fat is low... then all is good.

Carbs can free float.

Dietary cholesterol may or may not affect you: depends on your bloodwork as to whether it is affecting you or not.

Sodium again, especially if you sweat a lot, may not need to be very low. If you have high blood pressure or heart disease maybe it does need to be that low.

But fiber should be what is it 38g for a man and 25g for a woman a day....

Sugar... well it depends on whether you have a medical condition or not. And whether you're talking added sugar or sugar that is naturally occurring. I can assure you that I eat way to much added sugar... and it hasn't stopped me from losing weight. (note that I also don't think it is improving my health... but it... has not stopped me from losing weight when overall calories are controlled :smile:

So don't get too hang up on the numbers being perfect. And don't be trying to out-think the process.

Also a deficit equal to 20% of tdee makes the most sense to me and is much more sustainable and in my opinion has extra benefits compared to larger deficits especially for people who are not currently morbidly obese.

For most people a 15% to 20% cut off tdee ranges between 250 and 750 Cal. 750 Cal means that your TDEE is in the 3000 a day range...

So... check the deficit and whether your target weight loss is appropriate and remember that there is no race and no finish line... so long term adherence is much more important than quick results!

Good luck.
  • BeverlyMarsh1986
    Options
    I haven't read anything and this isn't a dig at your husband because I don't know anything about him...but could he possibly be moaning so you'll give up?

Ha! That's what I thought at first, too. That he's just being overly dramatic. But I gave him more food last night and today (that sounds awful... no, he's not a dog) and he's much happier. Now I feel bad for starving him for 2 weeks.
  • BeverlyMarsh1986
    Options
    Thank you, PAV888! I guess I was a bit too hung up on the numbers. I've had around 300 calories left every day, but I'm not usually starving myself. I feel okay at around 1500 calories per day and figured a few extra calories left means I lose faster. My husband obviously needs more.