Should I or Should I not take Hydroxycut?

Options

Replies

• DresdenSinn
    DresdenSinn Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Jury seems to be out on this one and I have to also agree. I am a proponent of using thermogenics but like it's been said people cannot tolerate caffeine and sometimes other herbs and compounds. You just have to be careful. Assess your tolerance by only taking 1/2 doses until you can make a definite determination. And do not take if you have high blood pressure or a heart condition.
  • shnoots
    shnoots Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I'll be honest, I've never taken it religiously, but I have tried both Hydroxycut Hardcore and their drink mix. The first time I took the Hardcore (just the super easy first day recommended half dose) I quickly felt really ill, went to bed, and woke up with vaginal bleeding. TMI right? I later found some instances of it causing miscarriage, but you know, whatevs. After working up to the full dose I was damn near unstoppable at work for like a day. I didn't care for the rapid heartbeat and hot flashes, so I quit taking it. I purchased the drink mix just as a "mommy's little helper" at work on tough nights, and its alright. It gives me a queasy kind of headache though. So no. I'ma go with everyone else here and say it's probably not boost you're looking for.
  • Xo_healthylc
    Xo_healthylc Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I took them. Ended up having a seizure in the shower and having my chest pounded on for an hour while being driven to the hospital by ambulance naked. So I'm going to go with no. The doctors that I met with afterwards all agreed that stuff is horrible for you.
  • lessismore130
    lessismore130 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I used the drink mix a few times. It worked great for energy and as an appetite suppressant the first time, but I quickly adjusted to it and it was no more effective than drinking a cup of coffee.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    It has caffeine. It doesn't do anything for fat loss. Don't bother.
  • Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    Options
    Another "no" vote from me.... the only way this stuff might help you lose weight is if you don't have money left after paying for it to buy food/snacks. B)
    Bwrock84 wrote: »
    Do you think I should take Hydroxycut to boost my weight loss?

• vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    It will not be at any detriment to health.

See:

http://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/ConsumerUpdates/ucm152152.htm
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,667 Member
    Options
    Well, how does it boost weight loss? It's basically an over hyped stimulant that's very costly. While stimulants help with feeling more "jacked up" to do exercise, it's really not increasing your metabolic rate. And all the other stuff in it is just to make it sound cool. The reality is that the dosages that are in a single serving really do MINISICULE assistance in any energy release at all. And losing weight is about expending more energy than you take in. So it really comes back to CICO. And there's no financial cost for that since it's free.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    You will definitely lose your money.
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Hydroxycut has twice had to be pulled from the market for dangerous ingredients. AS a "supplement," it does not have to be tested for safety or to assure that what the label says is what is actually in it.

Ergo: if it "works," its probably because its "herbal" ingredients are actually chinese methampetamine:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/28/business/supplement-drugs-may-contain-dangerous-ingredients.html?_r=0

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options

Nope.

It won't work if you eat at maintenance or above, but it will work if you eat at a calorie deficit.

Since a calorie deficit is the only thing required to lose weight, why waste your money on hyroxycut?
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    Another no.
    A gimmick and may be harmful to some people.
    Stick with eating less calories than you burn.
    It works.
  • cdahl383
    cdahl383 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    No, I wouldn't take it. Not necessary to lose weight.
  • suzyjane1972
    suzyjane1972 Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Dove0804 wrote: »
    Probably not, if you value your health :#

Oh - and weight loss can't be "boosted", you lose weight by having a sustained calorie deficit.

It will not be at any detriment to health. However fully agree with your second point. Caloric deficit is the only way to lose weight.

Remember, just because something's called a "supplement" doesn't make it safe.

I don't recall stating that. The main ingredient is caffeine which is not unsafe.

Try telling a heart patient that
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    A few years ago, Consumer Reports did a study and analyzed the ingredients of common weight-loss supplements. Many contained ingredients not listed on the label and in amounts inconsistent with the labeling.

There was one, and I forget the name now, but the type of chromium it contained wasn't chromium picolinate, but hexavalent chromium--as in the kind that Erin Brockovich found in the water that was poisoning that entire town. It was listed as "chromium" on the label. I would have assumed it was chromium picolinate as that kind is common in weight loss supplements.

Scared me out of ever trying them.
  • lissadecker
    lissadecker Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I used to work in the supplement industry. I was talking with our resident physician one day. His job was to help develop formulas for our house brands. He said to me once, "All of these supplements work if you make the appropriate changes in your diet and exercise routine. NONE of them work if you don't make these changes. What does that tell you?" Since then I pretty much stay away from most supplements other than protein powders and some vitamins.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options

Caffeine is a well known and deeply studied thermogenic which CAN help fat loss.
  • tcatcarson
    tcatcarson Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Probably not, if you value your health :#

Oh - and weight loss can't be "boosted", you lose weight by having a sustained calorie deficit.

It will not be at any detriment to health.

Saw this - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3004035/
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options

Caffeine is a well known and deeply studied thermogenic which CAN help fat loss.

Not really. A few calories' worth. Not enough to make overpriced caffeine pills worth the cost when you can get caffeine a dozen other ways.
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Ok, out of curiosity I took a Hydroxycut pill because I got it as a sample from Netrition and it made me so jittery, nauseous and icky. I threw out the rest of the sample because the side effects were horrible.