1 pound a day?

Options
2»

Replies

• Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Unless you're expecting to not have access to food in the future, I see no reason to go the fast fat gain route over the slower muscle gain route. But to each his own I guess.
  • stowns30
    stowns30 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I'm doing an upper/lower split with progressive overload and drop sets. Food-wise, I bulked for two months and gained 20 pounds (mostly fat obvs.) and then just got tired of eating and have become really inconsistent with the counting. I really want to reach 190 by the time college starts in September (170 currently) so fat is not really an issue for me, and I'm apparently very impatient. Training-wise the toning is coming along nicely but I'm not really concerned about my muscles making up most of my body weight. I've been underweight my whole life and am taking on fat just to be a normal weight but everyone seems to be scared of the 'f' word like any fat on your body ='s obese. Or I just don't get it...

Don't worry about what other people think is right for you. Do what makes you happy. If that means putting on weight I say go for it....I'm here to do the same and while everyone is entitled to their own opinion you cannot let others throw you off track. Stay focused in your journey to gain. Remember that there are those of us that are struggling and can relate to how you feel. I'm one of them. HAPPY GAINING!!!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    chrismwpcs wrote: »
    What is your goal exactly? It does not make sense. Even when you are heavy lifting and bulking that is a lot of weight to gain in a day.
    Just trying to gain weight fast so people stop calling me skinny. The one pound in a day thing is kind of a challenge more so than a everyday goal. My usual surplus is 500 cal/day.
    Are you doing any weight lifting?

Yes
    illyich wrote: »
    You want to to slop 10 pounds of fat onto your body in a week an a half?

Pretty much lol

You'll look really good then... :huh: :noway:
  • teetertatertango
    teetertatertango Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    How tall are you that 170 is skinny?

I am wondering this myself. Even at 6'7" 170 is within the normal range, at 6'2" it's almost smack dab in the middle of the healthy BMI range, at 5'9" it is overweight.
  • dillmilk
    dillmilk Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    6'5. I'm within the normal weight range but I'm still on the lower end, 190 is about in the centre and 210 is the higher end. Beyond that would be obese. I want to put on some extra pounds and then cut. I'd rather be a bit big than a bit slim because I've been used to being really slim all my life.
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    6'5. I'm within the normal weight range but I'm still on the lower end, 190 is about in the centre and 210 is the higher end. Beyond that would be obese. I want to put on some extra pounds and then cut. I'd rather be a bit big than a bit slim because I've been used to being really slim all my life.

It makes no sense that you want to rush 10lbs on just to cut.... you won't have built any muscle?
  • dillmilk
    dillmilk Posts: 88 Member
    Options

It makes no sense that you want to rush 10lbs on just to cut.... you won't have built any muscle?

Sorry, I should clarify. I want to hit 190 really fast, and then slow bulk and build muscle from there, and cut when I reach around 210.

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,400 MFP Moderator
    Options

Sorry, I should clarify. I want to hit 190 really fast, and then slow bulk and build muscle from there, and cut when I reach around 210.

Doing that would give you subpar results as your body would be more primed to gain fat. Of anything, go with a moderate bulk (1lb per week) which will allow to you gain about .5 lbs of a week maybe.
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options

Here's the problem with your plan. After packing on 20 lbs of weight (with most of it being fat) within a 2 month time period, more than likely trying to do a slow bulk after that is not going to work. The reason is that your body fat would be too high for most of your gains to be muscle.
    While you haven't given your body fat percentage, you would probably be at least pushing 20% body fat after putting on another 20 lbs in that time frame, which is too high for bulking. So even with proper training, you would end up putting on mostly more fat and little muscle.

• chrismwpcs
    chrismwpcs Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Slow and steady wins the race.
  • manowarrule
    manowarrule Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Probably is possible...if you want your heart to explode in your chest
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    losing weight takes time, gaining muscle takes time. gaining weight should be the same.
  • stowns30
    stowns30 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Is that even possible ?? I don't know
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    stowns30 wrote: »
    Is that even possible ?? I don't know

Maybe OP will come back and let us know