Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Opinions on soy?

VividVegan
VividVegan Posts: 200 Member
edited July 2016 in Debate Club
So I can't have dairy anymore and it was getting worse over time. I was able to still consume cottage cheese and cheeses like swiss for example but it's gotten very bad so I had to stop completely. It turns out that I may have Crohn's and am seeing another doctor again this upcoming week because it's been a difficult evaluation. But one thing I can no longer eat apparently is dairy. I want to start consuming soy milk because it has more protein than almond milk but soy has such a bad rep. Should I proceed with caution or is it all a myth?

Replies

• tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    If you're not allergic to soy, it can be an excellent source of protein.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Soy is delicious
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    edited July 2016
    I really like unnatural vegans video on this topic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yQFYONMcTg

p.s. to wrap it up for you, soy is generally considered safe. Pretty neutral. There is, however, a limit to how much soy you can consume before you may experience negative side effects such as poor vitamin absorption, thyroid dysfunction, or excessive estrogen: about 12 servings per day is the number we've seen repeatedly.
  • brrrrito
    brrrrito Posts: 39 Member
    arditarose wrote: »
    This is completely based on my experiences, not science, no data...when I had a high soy intake, my cycle was messed up and menstruation was just ridiculous and painful. Much better when I cut it out. So there's that.

Mine was too! when I drank soy milk, my cramps were SO BAD for 2 - 3 days rather than just a few hours for one day. it was awful. just my personal experience though.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Here's a big anecdotal tale for you. Check out China, a nation where the national diet is based on soy. Better hurry though, as fast food is moving in fast.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    edited July 2016
    brrrrito wrote: »
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    I would stick with almond milk. I read that soy causes cancer in mice. I have not heard that about almonds. Just my opinion

Everything causes cancer in mice. Being a mouse causes cancer in mice.

I'm allergic to the protein in milk, so I've had soy milk my whole life. No negative side effects for me. I've tried almond milk and coconut milk and they just. have. no. substance. Super thin and watery. May as well not have it since it feels like it doesn't provide any satiety. IMO.

Cashew milk is very nice and creamy if you were looking to try something different :)

Maybe I'll give it a try, depending on the nutrient profile. I'll check it out in the store next time I go.

I do like to try new things, just to be sure haha.
  • MichelleLea122
    MichelleLea122 Posts: 332 Member
    Another option to think about is protein almond milk, I've seen it before at Whole Foods.
  • Rabbitsocksgardener
    Rabbitsocksgardener Posts: 74 Member
    If you're a conscious shopper just be aware that most soy products unless labeled as certified organic are probably round up ready (aka they're GMO).
  • klrenn
    klrenn Posts: 245 Member
    I think for most people soy is fine. I'm not well versed in the research, but with so many cultures where it is a staple of their diets, I find it hard to believe it is universally "bad"

That being said, I have almost completely eliminated soy from our diet because of my younger daughter.

She had always been a particular eater, and we were worried about her slow growth, so we tried to boost her protein and calorie intake (a lot of that ended up being from soy sources). Well, 3 years later and she was dropping on the growth charts but her reproductive hormones were kicking in and puberty started early. We were so worried that those hormones were going to stop her growth (the endocrinologist said it would have meant she would only be around 4'10")

I cut out soy from her diet (except for soy sauce for her sushi) and within a year her hormones were back to normal and she had started to grow again. She's now on track to be around 5'1" (which is not unusual in my family). It's a good thing that she likes being little and cute :)

It truly is anecdotal, and maybe nothing would be different if I hadn't changed her diet, but I'm happy I did it.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    I don't think soy is a problem. I would mix it up with almond milk and coconut milk anyway, for the different fats. You can always get your protein from powder or meat.