Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Opinions on soy?

Options

Replies

• sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Alluminati wrote: »
    China consumes a lot of soybeans and clearly they are becoming extinct as a race.

They're still alive?
  • LauraCoth
    LauraCoth Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    There is evidence to suggest that it is not great for thyroid patients, and should not be given to infants:

http://www.thyroid-info.com/articles/soydangers.htm
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    LauraCoth wrote: »
    There is evidence to suggest that it is not great for thyroid patients, and should not be given to infants:

http://www.thyroid-info.com/articles/soydangers.htm

this is only a special population though.

p.s. i'm hypo, and yes, i am supposed to avoid soy. =/
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    They make a almond milk beverage with added protein that's soy free. You can usually find it at vitamin shoppe or whole foods. Only 60 cals and 10 grams of protein. It's like unsweetened almond milk with protein pow added in(:
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    tomteboda wrote: »
    Necessary disclaimers
    1. I am a chemist
    2. My area of research is not plants or herbicides
    3. I have worked in the food industry in the past but do not currently do so
    4. I have never worked for Monsanto
    5. I do not own or have interest in any farm, dairy, soy or otherwise ; or in any food processing company.
    6. I am allergic to soy
    7. I absolutely hate seeing misinformation spread around.

I am also a chemist and have worked in that field (commercial lab in an agricultural region). As I posted above, we only really saw glyphosate on crop samples when it was used just prior to harvest to dessicate the plants. Even then, it was a bit hit or miss (probably due to how water soluble it is).

Apparently at some point in the past someone at our lab pissed off someone at Monsanto so we never actually did any work for them.

Disclaimer: while I am very familiar with how we analyzed for glyphosate, my lab skills on that particular test were not very good...
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    sarahthes wrote: »
    tomteboda wrote: »
    Necessary disclaimers
    1. I am a chemist
    2. My area of research is not plants or herbicides
    3. I have worked in the food industry in the past but do not currently do so
    4. I have never worked for Monsanto
    5. I do not own or have interest in any farm, dairy, soy or otherwise ; or in any food processing company.
    6. I am allergic to soy
    7. I absolutely hate seeing misinformation spread around.

I am also a chemist and have worked in that field (commercial lab in an agricultural region). As I posted above, we only really saw glyphosate on crop samples when it was used just prior to harvest to dessicate the plants. Even then, it was a bit hit or miss (probably due to how water soluble it is).

Apparently at some point in the past someone at our lab pissed off someone at Monsanto so we never actually did any work for them.

Disclaimer: while I am very familiar with how we analyzed for glyphosate, my lab skills on that particular test were not very good...

How common is it to spray for dessication just prior to harvest? I've never heard of that happening in my area, but it could be a difference in types of crops, or just something I don't know :smile: (there are plenty of things like that).
  • MatthewHeaddenCoaching
    Options
    To put it simply. Soy does increase estrogen but in moderation for females is fine.
    Almond milk is a diet killer. Look at all the added sugar.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    ingestion of soy requires a specific enzyme which is not frequently found in the European origin populations.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    FeedMeFish wrote: »
    mheadden1 wrote: »
    To put it simply. Soy does increase estrogen but in moderation for females is fine.

There's an unsweetened kind.

This. I use the stuff regularly. It's easy to spot which is which. Even the unsweetened Vanilla is only 30 kcal/cup.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    My "opinion" on soy is the same as aspartame, they may say it's safe but i'm erring on the side of caution and choosing not to consume it.
  • Christine_72
    Options

My unsweetened vanilla almond milk has a big fat 0g of sugar.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options

Because it's unsweetened, of course there's no sugar. Almond Breeze vanilla has 10g of sugar, which I wouldn't consider high since my 2% cow milk has 12g.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »

Because it's unsweetened, of course there's no sugar. Almond Breeze vanilla has 10g of sugar, which I wouldn't consider high since my 2% cow milk has 12g.

True, but she was also replying to a comment that made it sound as if almond milk inherently has a buttload of sugar in it.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options

True, but she was also replying to a comment that made it sound as if almond milk inherently has a buttload of sugar in it.

I get what she meant, but comparing something unsweetened to something sweetened and saying, "No way, mine has 0 sugar!" is slightly silly to me.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    My "opinion" on soy is the same as aspartame, they may say it's safe but i'm erring on the side of caution and choosing not to consume it.

So you're not consuming anything on this list?

http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/fdcc/?set=SCOGS
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I'm comfortable relying on the experience of people in the various countries that have long histories with soy and include it in my diet -- more as tofu, tempeh, and edamame than supplements (and I don't eat lots of packaged foods anyway). I'd probably use soy milk and protein supplement if I were a vegan, though, without any concern.
  • Christine_72
    Options

I thought there may have been naturally occurring sugars floating around in there like in cows milk which is also unsweetened, as honestly i never thought to check the sugar content in my Almond milk.. until now.

So you're not consuming anything on this list?

http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/fdcc/?set=SCOGS

I dare say i consume plenty of things on that list, i only got up to page 3. Honestly i wouldn't be comparing the FDA to FSA, there are many substances available in America that are totally banned here.

But yeah, soy and aspartame are pretty easy to avoid, and that's what i'm doing. The title of this thread is opinions, and i gave mine.

And i know the comeback will be if you believed everything you read you'd be living on air, as there are pro and con articles on everything, and yes i said articles, not studies because i know that will be thrown back at me too. The bottom line is you do you, i'll do me, simples.