I'm so confused and jaded!

Options
MissSusieQ
MissSusieQ Posts: 533 Member
ugh. rainy weekend after a really *kitten* week of work = bulk netflix.

I watched, Fed Up, Fat Sick and Nearly Dead, and Hungry for Change, and they've basically left me feeling so helpless.

Like, how can we win when big food companies are cutting our efforts to do better down? I want to put my own interests first, but they want the same and they're a hell of a lot bigger and noisier than me!

I'm not saying I won't keep doing my best, I have enough knowledge to look after myself, but it's just so depressing to see how the odds have been stacked against society in general by companies who have too much control!

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I used to think like this too, in fact, I was really angry for a while. But I realized that I have a choice when I buy, and it's up to me to decide what I want. Their job is to sell, my job is to feed myself properly. So I just focus on me.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Alluminati wrote: »
    I don't get my information from mockumentaries, so I'm good.

Me too, ever! Live your own life!
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Yeah, no. Don't let a silly movie with an agenda make you feel bad about life. A good majority of those movies are pure nonsense.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    I'm always amazed that people admit to watching those shows and then admit to being duped by them.

Those documentaries, making people dumber with each Netflix viewing.
  • cmarangi
    cmarangi Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    brower47 wrote: »
    I'm always amazed that people admit to watching those shows and then admit to being duped by them.

Yikes! A bit harsh and not so helpful.

I echo the sentiments about focusing on yourself. One choice at a time and try to feed yourself with locally produced, wholesome food. You can only do what you can do.
  • cecsav1
    cecsav1 Posts: 714 Member
    Options

Haha... as opposed to watching Keeping up with the Kardashians or Two and a Half Men??
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    Why would you pick those shows when trying to unwind after a *kitten* week?

Maybe the OP prefers documentaries and hadn't seen those in particular. Everybody unwinds in their own way.

@MissSusieQ the best way to "win" against the big companies is to be as informed as you can, and do what you have to do for yourself. It's not easy, and there's a lot of conflicting information out there, but you have to make choices (and spend your money) according to your own goals and health. Good luck!
  • ninavalentine
    ninavalentine Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Revel in your freedom of choice and imagine what your life would be like without it. I'm not talking the bigger picture (politics, etc.), I'm talking food. Suppose someone dictated that you eat crap every day and prohibited you from exercising ... you'd be chomping at the bit for healthy food and activity. You also have the choice to dip into that crap food now and then (if you want). Be mindful what you put in your mouth (seems obvious but I personally do so much mindless eating), live in the moment (another cliche, but it works), and appreciate that you have control over your body -- all of which should all drown out the chatter from everyone else who thinks they know your body better than you do.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    MissSusieQ wrote: »
    ugh. rainy weekend after a really *kitten* week of work = bulk netflix.

I watched, Fed Up, Fat Sick and Nearly Dead, and Hungry for Change, and they've basically left me feeling so helpless.

Like, how can we win when big food companies are cutting our efforts to do better down? I want to put my own interests first, but they want the same and they're a hell of a lot bigger and noisier than me!

I'm not saying I won't keep doing my best, I have enough knowledge to look after myself, but it's just so depressing to see how the odds have been stacked against society in general by companies who have too much control!

I have control whenever I shop. This time of year I'm getting most of my produce from farmer's outlets, farm stands, and my garden. Find one near you: http://www.localharvest.org/

I belong to UNFI, a natural foods coop. I get my eggs locally. I buy meat from brands that use more humane practices when raising their animals. I read labels. And Michael Pollen. I saw "Fat Sick and Nearly Dead", which inspired me to make fruit and veggie smoothies (with protein powder and fat) for breakfast. (I don't juice for several reasons, including needing to keep the fiber.) I prefer Michael Pollen as a source of information and inspiration. Many of his books are available in my library system, so perhaps yours as well.

Here are a few articles to get you started:

http://www.nytimes.com/1998/10/25/magazine/playing-god-in-the-garden.html
    http://michaelpollan.com/articles-archive/power-steer/
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    cecsav1 wrote: »

Haha... as opposed to watching Keeping up with the Kardashians or Two and a Half Men??

Maybe the OP prefers documentaries and hadn't seen those in particular. Everybody unwinds in their own way.

@MissSusieQ the best way to "win" against the big companies is to be as informed as you can, and do what you have to do for yourself. It's not easy, and there's a lot of conflicting information out there, but you have to make choices (and spend your money) according to your own goals and health. Good luck!

Those are the choices? BS documentaries that make people dumber for watching them or BS reality TV? I'll chose neither.
  • Carnhot
    Carnhot Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    CICO is the same post documentary marathon as it as before. You still have the same purchasing power. Forget other people,just do you.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    The odds aren't stacked against you...you're 100% in control of your choices. I choose to primarily eat a whole foods diet...lots of veg and some fruit, whole grains, lean sourced protein and good fats from things like avocados and nuts and good cooking oils. I also indulge in some not so nutritious things...but that's a pretty small part of my diet overall. I also choose to train regularly...

You're in control of the choices you make, nobody else...

When you ignore the diet and fitness industry marketing and crockumentaries, good nutrition is largely common sense...start exercising that.
  • cecsav1
    cecsav1 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    cecsav1 wrote: »

Those are the choices? BS documentaries that make people dumber for watching them or BS reality TV? I'll chose neither.

Oh, agreed. I was just saying, tv in general isn't exactly teeming with intelligence building options.
  • pineapple_jojo
    pineapple_jojo Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    What does *kitten* mean?

I've been listening to Shaun T's latest podcast series (Trust and believe) and it is so positive, it gives me hope and its so upbeat!! Maybe just listen to some good stuff and throw out those negatives, you don't need that stuff in your life!!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    What does *kitten* mean?

I've been listening to Shaun T's latest podcast series (Trust and believe) and it is so positive, it gives me hope and its so upbeat!! Maybe just listen to some good stuff and throw out those negatives, you don't need that stuff in your life!!

It's the bad word filter...
  • pineapple_jojo
    pineapple_jojo Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Oh lol! Thanks cwolfman13!!