Working out my weight is up what the heck?

Options
bigpete44
bigpete44 Posts: 32 Member
edited July 2016 in Chit-Chat
5 wks into my new gym membership weighed in at 373 working out 3 to 4 times per week under my calorie count everyday yet I'm at 381 now how does that happen? I see a little bit of a difference but l must be doing something wrong. Need help before I loose my drive.

Replies

• meganlc0
    meganlc0 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    You might not be eating enough to lose. Also, it's pretty common to gain some water weight from going to the gym. Muscles that a recovering from a workout retain more water than unused muscles.
  • bigpete44
    Options
    Thanks I was thinking eating less and working out harder would have been the key l would have been wrong. Trying to gain the courage to crash a Zumba class haha.
  • lenoresdream
    lenoresdream Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Crash that Zumba class! Woo! Yeah, rock on! Zumba can be so fun! :)
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    bigpete44 wrote: »
    5 wks into my new gym membership weighed in at 373 working out 3 to 4 times per week under my calorie count everyday yet I'm at 381 now how does that happen? I see a little bit of a difference but l must be doing something wrong. Need help before I loose my drive.

It could be a few thing. Five weeks may not be enough time due to variance, so you are doing everything right and just hang in there - weight loss is not linear. However, very possibly, you are under estimating your calories consumed, over estimating your calories burned, or both. It is one of the things I just listed.

Not eating enough is not the problem.
  • healthykaitlin
    healthykaitlin Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    If you "weren't eating enough" as previously suggested, you'd lose.

That said, you may retain water when you start a new workout. Or, more likely, you're underestimating your calorie intake/overestimating your workout calories to eat back. I don't eat back more than a 1/4 of my workout calories, if I do at all, because I feel the calories calculated are way more than I've burned.

I suggest a food scale... Weigh your proteins & grains, measure or weigh fats. Weigh packaged foods as their calculations are often off. It was a total reality check for me when I started doing that.

Best of luck to you & don't give up!!
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    If you "weren't eating enough" as previously suggested, you'd lose.

That said, you may retain water when you start a new workout. Or, more likely, you're underestimating your calorie intake/overestimating your workout calories to eat back. I don't eat back more than a 1/4 of my workout calories, if I do at all, because I feel the calories calculated are way more than I've burned.

I suggest a food scale... Weigh your proteins & grains, measure or weigh fats. Weigh packaged foods as their calculations are often off. It was a total reality check for me when I started doing that.

Best of luck to you & don't give up!!

This 100%
  • bigpete44
    Options
    Great response thanks to all the water thing makes sense. My htn pills are for that purpose to rid my body of excess water.
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    bigpete44 wrote: »
    Great response thanks to all the water thing makes sense. My htn pills are for that purpose to rid my body of excess water.

Don't forget the responses about logging calories accurately too. I'd say that's the issue over water weight in most cases. Especially after 5 weeks of lifting.
  • Tsartele
    Tsartele Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Adipex
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Tsartele wrote: »
    Adipex

Why are you recommending an appetite suppressant for somebody who is willing to lose weight the right way? He's working out 3-4 times per week and THINKS he's coming in under his calorie goal, so why would he need an appetite suppressant? I think you need to do some more research about long term success with pills and fad dieting because I see you posting crap like this often.
  • bigpete44
    Options
    Not to worry I plan on doing it the right way no short cuts. I hit it hard yesterday and going today for some treadmill time. happy 4th to all.
  • Tsartele
    Tsartele Posts: 683 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Tsartele wrote: »
    Adipex

Why are you recommending an appetite suppressant for somebody who is willing to lose weight the right way? He's working out 3-4 times per week and THINKS he's coming in under his calorie goal, so why would he need an appetite suppressant? I think you need to do some more research about long term success with pills and fad dieting because I see you posting crap like this often.

Because it works for me that is why... I think someone of his size would lose weight like crazy and if you combine that with an exercise routine and healthy eating it would be fantastic. I see it as only a tool to get you to your goal... nothing more. Of course he would have to be under the close supervision of a doctor.

For the record I don't believe that there is any one right way... the right way is the one that works best for you. In my honest opinion I think too many people here are quick to rule out options that can be very effective if used correctly, in combination with healthy diet and exercise.
  • bigpete44
    Options
    Good news down to 374.9 working harder maybe I have turned the corner hope it's not just water weight
  • AestheticStar
    AestheticStar Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    They say that if you weigh yourself in the morning, before drinking/eating, that's your real current weight. If you drink/eat/workout etc & then weigh, there will always be some fluctuation, water weight & what-not.
    I actually just quit using the scale or caring that much about it because I just go based on how I feel & look. Plus there's fitness trainers I watch where they've gained weight but they are still lean & it's just from muscle gain.
    Just keep on with working out & eating clean & don't let the scale stress you. I think people focus so much on the number of the scale, rather than how they feel from working out & eating better or how their body is adjusting sometimes. Also, maybe start doing body measurements & keep a monthly log. Measure your arms, legs, waist, etc monthly & see if there's a difference in inches. That can also tell you that things are changing, even if the scale is not.