Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Sugar or Sweetener?

Options

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    MrSimmers wrote: »
    Sugar is an essential part of our diet. Refined sugar is a killer. Like most things, if it's natural it's good, if it's artifical it's bad. Stevia is an exception, use that as a sweetner if you want, however the best and most healthy source is natural brown sugar.

Also, insulin is usually the main point of focus in discussions and heath programs, however equally important to insulin is glucagon. By consuming natural sugar sources, the sugar is converted into glycogen. A healthy pancreas can then release glucagon when the body needs it. Correctly functioning glucagon release is the key to insulin sensitivity, since insulin and glucagon are two heads of the same beast so to speak - they complement one another in every way imaginable.

Artificial sweeteners are not inherently bad.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    Sugar is an essential part of our diet. Refined sugar is a killer. Like most things, if it's natural it's good, if it's artifical it's bad. Stevia is an exception, use that as a sweetner if you want, however the best and most healthy source is natural brown sugar.

Also, insulin is usually the main point of focus in discussions and heath programs, however equally important to insulin is glucagon. By consuming natural sugar sources, the sugar is converted into glycogen. A healthy pancreas can then release glucagon when the body needs it. Correctly functioning glucagon release is the key to insulin sensitivity, since insulin and glucagon are two heads of the same beast so to speak - they complement one another in every way imaginable.

You do retailer "natural brown sugar" is the name that cane sugar is marketed under when it's refined with a single crystallization process?
  • Crisseyda
    Crisseyda Posts: 532 Member
    Options

MYTH: Insulin Makes You Hungry

FACT: Insulin Suppresses Appetite

It is a well known fact that insulin acutely suppresses appetite. This has been demonstrated in dozens and dozens of experiments.

http://weightology.net/weightologyweekly/index.php/free-content/free-content/volume-1-issue-7-insulin-and-thinking-better/insulin-an-undeserved-bad-reputation/

Yeah, there are studies where insulin is injected into animals' brains... and then there are studies based on humans, in real life: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1490021/

Insulin may have some anorexigenic effects in the brain, but when your insulin is chronically elevated and/or your insulin resistant, lowering insulin so that you actually have alternating periods of low or high insulin (as his graph displays) is important.

And the insulin response from protein is caused by incretins, which also delay gastric emptying and promote satiety--unlike that from refined carbohydrates.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Crisseyda wrote: »

MYTH: Insulin Makes You Hungry

FACT: Insulin Suppresses Appetite

It is a well known fact that insulin acutely suppresses appetite. This has been demonstrated in dozens and dozens of experiments.

http://weightology.net/weightologyweekly/index.php/free-content/free-content/volume-1-issue-7-insulin-and-thinking-better/insulin-an-undeserved-bad-reputation/

Yeah, there are studies where insulin is injected into animals' brains... and then there are studies based on humans, in real life: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1490021/

Two words: Texas Sharpshooter
    See also: p-hacking
    Insulin may have some anorexigenic effects in the brain, but when your insulin is chronically elevated and/or your insulin resistant, lowering insulin so that you actually have alternating periods of low or high insulin (as his graph displays) is important.

And the insulin response from protein is caused by incretins, which also delay gastric emptying and promote satiety--unlike that from refined carbohydrates.

And the goalposts move again.

• DeadsAndDoritos
    DeadsAndDoritos Posts: 267 Member
    Options

This is pure chemophobia/appeal to nature fallacy.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    sucampbeN wrote: »

This is pure chemophobia/appeal to nature fallacy.

Holy crap, those are a thing now? I mean, I know they are, and I've called people out on it before, because nine out of ten times, nature wants to kill you, not feed you.

I just didn't know they were being called by names. I need to get out more.
  • jjalbertt
    jjalbertt Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I use sugars like honey,maple syrup and raw sugar in small amounts (I normally drink water and only take milk in my coffee). Depends what im using it for.
    I try to stay away from the refined and bleached white sugar,etc.
    I also try to stay away from artifical sweetners.
  • LauraCoth
    LauraCoth Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Sorry for the second post. I don't see an edit button.

What I meant to add is that if you actually knew what was in artificial sweeteners, and knew how they are made, you might think twice. Would you eat formaldehyde? Mmmmmm. Formaldehyde. Yum, right? No? Thought not.

I stopped using anything with aspartame in it when i realized that my sinusitis was made much, much worse when I used it. I had reached the point where I could not sleep at night because my nose was so blocked. Within a week of discontinuing it, my breathing started to improve.
  • LauraCoth
    LauraCoth Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Wow. Such hostility.

FunkyTobias and Diannethegeek, did either of you read the article about thyroid patients and artificial sweeteners? I AM a thyroid patient, and this information is quite relevant -- and the danger is very real.

But hey, this is this first and last time I try to add something that might help someone else on this forum.

See you all later.
  • JaneSnowe
    JaneSnowe Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    LauraCoth wrote: »

What I meant to add is that if you actually knew what was in artificial sweeteners, and knew how they are made, you might think twice. Would you eat formaldehyde? Mmmmmm. Formaldehyde. Yum, right? No? Thought not.

I stopped using anything with aspartame in it when i realized that my sinusitis was made much, much worse when I used it. I had reached the point where I could not sleep at night because my nose was so blocked. Within a week of discontinuing it, my breathing started to improve.

I'll read your link about the thyroid if you read this one about formaldehyde. Deal?

http://www.cancer.org/cancer/cancercauses/othercarcinogens/intheworkplace/formaldehyde
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    LauraCoth wrote: »

There is no formaldehyde in artificial sweeteners. When your body metabolizes aspartame, it creates a small amount of methanol, which then gets further metabolized to formaldehyde.

http://www.andeal.org/topic.cfm?cat=4089

"The fact that methanol and formaldehyde are breakdown products of aspartame sounds scary to consumers. Therefore, it is important to know that formaldehyde is produced by our bodies every day in amounts thousands of times greater than you would ever get from aspartame, as it is a key metabolite that is needed to make other essential compounds, including DNA."
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I was thinking of putting a stevia plant in my garden. I've been mostly abstaining from all sweeteners because I don't like the idea of the chemicals nor of refined sugar. I sort of like black coffee and unsweetened tea now.
  • Rabbitsocksgardener
    Rabbitsocksgardener Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Usually artificial sweeteners are just chemical cocktails and that's why they're low calorie.. Sugar is high in sugar (lol) but can be sourced naturally. Agave and stevia are the same.