Vegetarian/Vegan Diet

Options
2»

Replies

• redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    Andyjo72 wrote: »
    On a pure vegan diet if you do not plan out your meals well you can run into issues with getting all the essential amino acids. Very few vegetables/grains/etc carry a complete protein profile, soy is an exception. With planing this a not an issues because a mix will give you all the essential amino acids you need (ex. brown rice and red beans). Raw vegan have a harder time because more restricted diet. B vitamins can sometimes be an issue. Vegetarians who include milk (diary) and eggs get the amino there. (Remember McDonald's fries and a super soda can be considered vegan so I will not say heathy default).

As for weight loss, calorie in and calorie out is always the starting point. Past that as long as your getting the requirements such as essential amino acids, the RDA of protein (.38g/kg body weight I think), health fats, vitamins and minerals, you are good to go. The rest is based on who you are and what you need to be health. Just my view and experience (five day a week veg).

Actually McDonald's fries aren't vegan they have some kind of beef derived seasoning or something like that.

As long as she eats a variety of foods she'll get enough amino acids even without eggs and dairy.

I suggest tracking some days food in chronmeter online to see the amount of each amino acid she gets. It's helpful.
  • Yutaila
    Yutaila Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    On a pure vegan diet if you do not plan out your meals well you can run into issues with getting all the essential amino acids. Very few vegetables/grains/etc carry a complete protein profile, soy is an exception. With planing this a not an issues because a mix will give you all the essential amino acids you need (ex. brown rice and red beans). Raw vegan have a harder time because more restricted diet. B vitamins can sometimes be an issue. Vegetarians who include milk (diary) and eggs get the amino there. (Remember McDonald's fries and a super soda can be considered vegan so I will not say heathy default).

As for weight loss, calorie in and calorie out is always the starting point. Past that as long as your getting the requirements such as essential amino acids, the RDA of protein (.38g/kg body weight I think), health fats, vitamins and minerals, you are good to go. The rest is based on who you are and what you need to be health. Just my view and experience (five day a week veg).

Actually McDonald's fries aren't vegan they have some kind of beef derived seasoning or something like that.

As long as she eats a variety of foods she'll get enough amino acids even without eggs and dairy.

I suggest tracking some days food in chronmeter online to see the amount of each amino acid she gets. It's helpful.

Never really liked McDonalds fries. :) Maybe cuz I am not a big fan of potato in general. I only like mashed potatoes at home, but I try to avoid eating much starch. Not sure, maybe on a vegan diet it is healthy to eat starchy products.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    Yutaila wrote: »

Never really liked McDonalds fries. :) Maybe cuz I am not a big fan of potato in general. I only like mashed potatoes at home, but I try to avoid eating much starch. Not sure, maybe on a vegan diet it is healthy to eat starchy products.

Potatoes are a good source of potassium.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options

Thank you. I thought of it too, so I went today to a far away store and bought a bunch of canned beans and Chia seeds to add to my meals. Cuz I only have tofu available at any shop being plant-based source of some protein. The lack of protein can be my biggest problem, I see that with all the planning now. But its not scary, I just need to adjust and investigate the market)

Dried beans are much cheaper than canned beans.

My vegan friends make legumes the backbone of their diet. The Indian vegetarians and vegans I know eat a lot of dal, which is made from lentils. Other popular dishes contain mung beans or chana dal (from chickpeas.)

What country are you in?
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Carbs are not bad. Get carbs from good sources as you'll be fine. Chips are not a good source but fruit is.

Fat from nuts won't make you fat. Eating at a caloric surplus makes you fat. Just portion them.

You won't become weak and unhealthy on a well planned diet just like any diet. Balance is key. Don't focus too much on protein because you don't need more than 50-60grams a day. Focus on other nutrients.

it depends on what her goals are too and how much protein she will need. 50-60 is not a one size fits all thing
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Beans, chicken peas, lentils, peanuts, almonds, walnuts, chia seeds, hemp seeds, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, tofu, rice, quinoa, soy milk, green peas, amaranth, oatmeal, tempeh, edamame, nutrition yeast,
    Also veggies like broccoli, kale, yellow squash, green beans, asparagus, . . .
  • Yutaila
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Thank you. I thought of it too, so I went today to a far away store and bought a bunch of canned beans and Chia seeds to add to my meals. Cuz I only have tofu available at any shop being plant-based source of some protein. The lack of protein can be my biggest problem, I see that with all the planning now. But its not scary, I just need to adjust and investigate the market)

My vegan friends make legumes the backbone of their diet. The Indian vegetarians and vegans I know eat a lot of dal, which is made from lentils. Other popular dishes contain mung beans or chana dal (from chickpeas.)

What country are you in?

Japan. Canned beans are the only option I found so far :(

RodaRose wrote: »
    Beans, chicken peas, lentils, peanuts, almonds, walnuts, chia seeds, hemp seeds, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, tofu, rice, quinoa, soy milk, green peas, amaranth, oatmeal, tempeh, edamame, nutrition yeast,

The only thing I haven't seen in stores yer is Nutritional Yeast. Heard a lot about it in vegan videos on youtube, but haven't seen yet myself)
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options

What country are you in?

The only thing I haven't seen in stores yer is Nutritional Yeast. Heard a lot about it in vegan videos on youtube, but haven't seen yet myself)

A speciality store -- one that sells vitamins and supplements would have it.

• Yutaila
    Options

What country are you in?

A speciality store -- one that sells vitamins and supplements would have it.

Oh, I see, I'll look for it. Thank you.
  • zornig
    zornig Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Here is a useful resource: https://isitveganjapan.com/

If you aren't attached to veganism for ethical reasons, per se, you might consider eating fish. It's an excellent source of lean protein, and basically in everything in Japan.
  • Yutaila
    Options
    zornig wrote: »
    Here is a useful resource: https://isitveganjapan.com/

If you aren't attached to veganism for ethical reasons, per se, you might consider eating fish. It's an excellent source of lean protein, and basically in everything in Japan.

I don't want to eat fish) Thank you for a link, its very useful recourse ;)