For bodybuilders trying to get ripped - carbs?

Options
btrias24
btrias24 Posts: 30 Member
So im 170lbs and trying to get lean muscle and burn fat at the same time whats the magic combination? So far im doing 40% carbs 40% protein and 20% fat. I feel and see that its working for me. I was doing low carbs before but didnt showed big results regarding lean muscles. Now im consuming between 150-200 carbs. Im 5'9" weighing 170 lbs. Whats ur input? Just curious if i need to lesser my carbs to get ripped???

Replies

• fatfudgery
    fatfudgery Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    btrias24 wrote: »
    trying to get lean muscle and burn fat at the same time whats the magic combination?

There's no magic combo, recomps are just slow. You're better off bulking and cutting, making sure you're getting your protein in at all times.
  • DresdenSinn
    DresdenSinn Posts: 665 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    If it's working for you don't change it. You didn't state your calorie intake but I'm assuming your in a deficit so be sure to keep it that way to continue to lean out. I recently did an ultra cut/rip where I got my bodyfat down as low as I could then lowered my carbs to <30g/day for 5 days then did a 30hr food fast. It was effective (6% bodyfat) but let me tell ya..I wasn't in my right mind for 6 days!
  • btrias24
    edited July 2016
    Options
    @DresdenSinn 30grams a day of carbs for 5 days??? Man didnt u even feel weak? Are you doing carb cycling?
  • btrias24
    Options
    @psulemon ty for the input. I guess it depends on each individuals body type and activities. I lift 5x a week cardio 3x, im down 12% of body fat from digital and 10% from manual caliper. I just thought its a lil surprising for me burning fat while consuming more carbs but again if anything i read this article for my body weight i need to consume 2x of grams of carbs per bodyweight which leads me to 300grams per day which i think for me is really difficult
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    @psulemon ty for the input. I guess it depends on each individuals body type and activities. I lift 5x a week cardio 3x, im down 12% of body fat from digital and 10% from manual caliper. I just thought its a lil surprising for me burning fat while consuming more carbs but again if anything i read this article for my body weight i need to consume 2x of grams of carbs per bodyweight which leads me to 300grams per day which i think for me is really difficult

What article?? You don't need some arbitrary amount of carbs.
    For fat loss, you need a calorie deficit. For muscle repair, you need adequate protein. For heart, joint and hormone health (among other things), you need adequate fat intake.
    Everything else is up to personal preference.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

You need to do what? Can you post this article because that sounds odd.
  • callumwalker1995
    callumwalker1995 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I'm 146 pounds and I eat 400g carbs a day. Get them carbs down you the only way to build yourself
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »

What article?? You don't need some arbitrary amount of carbs.
    For fat loss, you need a calorie deficit. For muscle repair, you need adequate protein. For heart, joint and hormone health (among other things), you need adequate fat intake.
    Everything else is up to personal preference.

Yep. Although i suspect the article was about somatotypes, which are thoroughly debunked as you know.
  • williammuney
    williammuney Posts: 2,895 Member
    Options
    If it's working for you don't change it. You didn't state your calorie intake but I'm assuming your in a deficit so be sure to keep it that way to continue to lean out. I recently did an ultra cut/rip where I got my bodyfat down as low as I could then lowered my carbs to <30g/day for 5 days then did a 30hr food fast. It was effective (6% bodyfat) but let me tell ya..I wasn't in my right mind for 6 days!

Wow I'm impressed! That's some high level commitment brother!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    So im 170lbs and trying to get lean muscle and burn fat at the same time whats the magic combination? So far im doing 40% carbs 40% protein and 20% fat. I feel and see that its working for me. I was doing low carbs before but didnt showed big results regarding lean muscles. Now im consuming between 150-200 carbs. Im 5'9" weighing 170 lbs. Whats ur input? Just curious if i need to lesser my carbs to get ripped???

what you're doing is essentially re-comp...it is extremely slow and basically a bi-product of just eating well and working out...basically over time you end up with a "fitness body"...not generally a body builder's body. It is extremely slow and you don't pack on a lot of mass...this is why body builder's doing bulking and cutting cycles.
  • btrias24
    Options
    So i get it. Eat more? I know thats my downfall my calorie intake is only 2100 per day 170gram of protein and 200gr of carbs. Trying to eat more but its tough job :smiley: im scared of eating too much carbs might get me, i know some of my friends that did and looked fat.
  • btrias24
    Options
    Sorry for the confusion guys but im not aiming for a bodybuilding type of body like we see at the contests. Just trying to get cut. I dont want to be tooo big or my wife would kill me! Lol!
  • btrias24
    Options
    @JoRocka bold statement but i need proof :smiley: not trying to call u out but i wanna see a 160lbs woman that is really fit, thats heavy for females but honestly ive only seen women that competes for bikini contest lol. But i might be eating my words later right? :wink:
  • DresdenSinn
    DresdenSinn Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Sorry for the confusion guys but im not aiming for a bodybuilding type of body like we see at the contests.

LOL..your not going to have to worry about looking like that unless your going to get some "special" help, even the "natural" competitors who get decently big/cut have achieved that through years and years of hard work. I've been at it on and off (mostly on) for 18 years and you see what I've achieved.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    @JoRocka bold statement but i need proof :smiley: not trying to call u out but i wanna see a 160lbs woman that is really fit, thats heavy for females but honestly ive only seen women that competes for bikini contest lol. But i might be eating my words later right? :wink:

I doubt she'll indulge you...but yes...you would be eating your words.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

Just click on her name to see her profile pics. Might wanna grab a spoon first because, yes, you will be eating your words.
  • btrias24
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

Just click on her name to see her profile pics. Might wanna grab a spoon first because, yes, you will be eating your words.

I cannot see her other pix,its on private. But trying to add her. Lol just trying to make sure im getting answers from the right people lol
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

I cannot see her other pix,its on private. But trying to add her. Lol just trying to make sure im getting answers from the right people lol

LOL. I understand. But yes, she is somebody who knows her stuff.
This discussion has been closed.