Anybody ever get heckled while running or biking?

Options

Replies

• DaniettaF
    DaniettaF Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Only a few times while I've been out running, always by people in cars or lorries, either honking or shouting. Don't let it bother you, they're either sad men or people showing off to others in the car. Plus, they're gone in a few seconds.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    The only time I tend to say, or do anything to said riders/runners (other than give them as much room as possible) is when they are being total *kitten*, riding in the center of the lane (making it impossible to safely pass them on two-lane roads).

ETA: Don't do this. It makes people angry. Angry people are prone to doing stupid things. They are in something that weighs 20x what you and your bike do. That, plus angry and stupid, could equal runner/rider dead.
  • KenBunker
    KenBunker Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    As long as you love you no one elses opinions matter. Lots of people banking bad karma these days. Just focus on you.
  • KDar1988
    KDar1988 Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the boost everyone :) Hope you all have a great day!!
  • 143tobe
    143tobe Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Ugh. Teenagers. Irritating, but mostly harmless. Best is to just ignore them. When I was a teenager on the other hand...I was constantly harassed by men in their cars when I would go for a run. Now they were scary. One even got out of his car all wild eyed and scary and moved towards me like he was going to grab me, until another car came along and he got back in his car and took off. Another pulled over and seemed to be harmlessly asking for directions, until I realized he was...uh...playing his fiddle. (Yeah...kind of stopped running after that one.)

I do feel ya about those dang teenagers though, it happens to me too on occasion. It smarts a little, but they are teenagers, they don't even care or think anything about you, they just do it to see which one of them can make the most noise.
  • minniestar55
    minniestar55 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I get it occasionally when Nordic walking...an unusual activity around here...either kids @ school I go past yelling & laughing (she thinks she's frigging skiing, har har, har....etc), some car horn honking, occasional car slow down. Once lady hung out car window & took photo, lol, so I might even be a meme out in cyberspace! Is it annoying? Yep. Do I let it stop me? No way!
  • ArtthurCarlson
    ArtthurCarlson Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Oddly enough, I never get heckled when riding on the road. We have a great bike path here, and occasionally I've been heckled by the spandex clad racing bikers (Who actually aren't supposed to be doing time trials on the path anyway...it's for recreational riding, not speed riding). It's my pet peeve when cyclists heckle other cyclists.

That said....if anyone wants to be friends with an old, slow cyclist, I'd welcome a request! :)
  • McCloud33
    McCloud33 Posts: 959 Member
    Options
    When I first started losing weight, I'd go run at the track by my house. I was still probably 40lbs overweight, running slow, and I have a really weird jogging motion, so I would get made fun of by the kids/preteens down there. Some of them would run behind me trying to mimic my awkward running style. One day a group of them had balls that they would try and hit me with as I ran by. Every time they missed, I would just pick up the ball and throw it back to them.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Yup, occasionally. Don't curr. It happens no matter my physique.

You should not care too. They don't.
  • JohnONE29
    JohnONE29 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Yes, I was called Fat-Boy back in 2012 while running. I went on to lose 100 pounds through running. But even still, I still get heckled by teens every once in a while.
  • CincyNeid
    CincyNeid Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    I did a few weeks ago but I'm not afraid to throw it right back.

I could really care less what people say. I know I'm doing it for me. Not for them. And I'd pass that on to you. Remember why you're doing it. And keep the path.
  • SweetPeasMom55
    SweetPeasMom55 Posts: 3,385 Member
    Options
    When it happens I think I am pushing 50 get back to me when you are my age and see how well you have aged. I exercise for me and if you don't want to see it go else where. ;)
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,223 Member
    Options
    Oddly enough, I have never had anyone heckle me. I have had them cut me off, they lost the mirror on the passenger side for that, and drive about 3 inches away from me, that was sort of freaky for me, but never heckled to this point. Of course now that I say it, I am sure I will have someone do it in the near future.
  • 100df
    100df Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    Mean people suck.
  • Savyna
    Savyna Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    If they did I wasn't aware. I never got audibly heckled though whilst working out. Sometimes I feel self-conscious thinking people are judging me but I have to tell myself to just focus on my workout and be glad that I'm out there doing it.
  • williammuney
    williammuney Posts: 2,895 Member
    Options
    One time someone yelled "get a bra" I laughed and flipped the bird

They never stop for some reason
  • ubermofish
    ubermofish Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I only yell at cyclists when they're being hazards by not following traffic laws.
  • RenegadePlumber
    RenegadePlumber Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I get heckled walking my dog, because I have a small dog. He's a Chihuahua and French Bulldog mix that weighs about 12 pounds. So yeah, it's not "manly" to have a small dog.

My opinion is "Mind over matter. I don't mind so they don't matter." It's especially easy when I think about how bad they must feel that they need to insult me to feel better about themselves. Then, I kinda start feeling bad for them.
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    I was biking home at 1-2am. Some teens drove by and yelled at me to get a job. Funny, I was biking home from my job. And my truck was far nicer than their POS car...
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    newmeadow wrote: »
    It was 1987 .... Never forgot it though ... It did kinda suck the joy out of riding a bike for me, even to this day.

Really??

I've been yelled at, honked at, or whatever (as I mentioned above) probably about once a month for the last 26 years.

They all blend into the unimportant, and I can only remember a small handful of the more dangerous encounters. But I don't let those encounters ruin something I love.

pretty much.
    The only time I've never been yelled at was when I lived in the high desert of California- and that's only b/c the only one heckling anything are the red tail hawks. But here in NJ- it's constant. I pay them no mind.