Not sure why I've let myself go like this but now need accountability partners

Options
katie_rnc
katie_rnc Posts: 30 Member
edited July 2016 in Motivation and Support
I've got to overcome food and sugar addiction. Soda is a good 50% of my problem. I'm depressed that I've gained but I eat and feel better. What the heck. I need someone to light a fire under me or something. I give up everytime bc no instant gratification and then I gain even more. So I don't even want to get started again. But i do. So is anyone in the same stage right now. How to overcome it?

Replies

• rganimian
    rganimian Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi Katie, I also am looking to loose for medical reasons. Looking for an accountability buddy! Let me know. Soda is not my worst enemy, but food in general is.
  • Raymil82
    Raymil82 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    You can add me too. I am an emotional eater and have been addicted to sugar. I am not addicted like I was and it took a long time to get a hold on that.. But I login daily and try to stay at 1200 calories. I have 85lbs to lose and also need all the motivation I can get... You can do it girl! Just rememeber: every day is a new day!
  • TravisJHunt
    TravisJHunt Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain Katie. Soda is my killer. I get off it for awhile and then have a bad week and its back to soda to cope with lack of sleep and then before I know its 5-6 cans a day. I try to stick with Green Tea when I'm working at getting off of it. Its a tough journey! High blood pressure is killing me and I still can't keep the stuff out of my life. So if you find the magic cure, let me know.
  • kittens2cute
    kittens2cute Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you Katie! I'm not so much on soda, but once I start on ANYTHING with sugar, I'm done for. Feel free to add me, because I also need someone to be HONEST with me and hold me accountable!
  • SkinnyGirlCarrie
    SkinnyGirlCarrie Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Make one can a day fit into your calorie allowance, then you're not denying yourself. I find the more I tell myself I can't have something, the more I crave it and then the chances it derails me are way higher.
  • iecreamheadaches
    iecreamheadaches Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Sugar is my #1 problem. Anything sweet. I'm more of a cake/cookie/ice cream gal myself vs like sodas though. Trying to focus on weaning it back some.
  • DanyellMcGinnis
    DanyellMcGinnis Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Not sure how popular this opinion will be, but diet soda can be a good stopgap measure. I lost 10 pounds without changing anything else when I switched from regular to diet (this was some years ago, and I was not particularly heavy at the time). There was a period of a few weeks when I was bothered by the artificial sweetener aftertaste, but I got used to it. I go back and forth about how much diet soda I drink; I'm kind of in a high period now (3 cans a day is high for me) but if my acid reflux kicks back up I will probably step it down.

If you don't want to switch to diet soda, try cutting back by one can of regular soda a day for a week, then another can a day the next week, etc. A gradual transition may be easier. I also knew someone who would buy fountain drinks at the gas station and mix increasing portions of Diet Dr. Pepper into regular Dr. Pepper until she had made the switch that way.

I find that easing myself into new habits is more effective and sustainable in the long run than instant switching.
  • navdeeprana
    navdeeprana Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Been there ....struggle every single day ....but it is more of a mind game and really depends on how hard or desperately you want to be way you imagine yourself to be someday ...the struggle is real and very hard but worth doing
  • Ant488
    Ant488 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me as well.
  • KittyInBoots
    KittyInBoots Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Yesss, I love my sugar as well! I still drink it, but I allow for it under my calorie limit. I was stuck in the trap for so long, not knowing what to do. When I realized I could still count it under cals and enjoy, it became that much easier. I really wish I had known this years ago!
  • kbarrett0701
    kbarrett0701 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Go ahead and add me. I've overcame the soda addiction(4 years sober).
  • AKMasterson
    AKMasterson Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi, Katie! Feel free to add me, anything sweet is my achilles heel. We can help support each other!
  • kcwha
    kcwha Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat! I have 40lbs to loose and had some medical step backs with a high dose prednisone rx for 8weeks. Yup gained all the hard work back and I am now having to cut sugar and soda where I never had to before to lose weight. Support would be so helpful as I work in a very fit environment where it's not always understood. Feel free to add me anyone!
  • kbernier10211
    kbernier10211 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm on the same boat Katie! I get so discouraged because I don't see fast results then I gain more. It's so frustrating! Maybe we can all have a check in night or something and just help each other. I need someone to get and keep me motivated! I know we can do this!! Please feel free to add me!
  • VividDawn
    VividDawn Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I know it's a little extra work, but what about making your own soda?
    Get just plain carbonated water, with no other ingredients. Put chopped up fruit in it, and let it stay in the fridge for a few hours or overnight. Watermelon and cantelope are very sweet, but they're more healthy than processed stuff :)
    When I want more tangy to go with my sweet I do strawberry or blackberry

My issue is I want the fizzy more than the sugar part of soda LOL
  • kmtoblesky
    kmtoblesky Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Would love an accountability partner. I want to lose about 50 pounds and have a long way to go. I am an emotional eater but love the feeling after a good workout. Count me in!
  • Balaru
    Balaru Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I am a Dr Pepper addict! Same boat with you. Let's do this together. The heat hit here in South Louisiana and I haven't done squat in 2 weeks. Gotta put the brakes on before it's too late. Add me PLEASE!
  • Ellevated
    Ellevated Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Hi Katie! I've never been addicted to soda but I have overcome binge eating disorder and I know the struggle with sugar is real! I log in to MFP every day so if you're looking for support do connect with me. That goes for anyone else on this thread too!